Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 11:06 pm

Looks like someone doesn't understand how compromising with a woman works.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2018, 1:04 am

Bohemian Rhapsody is wonderful! Go see that. I can't say enough good things about it.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 1:07 am

For once, I agree with Fnord. 8O

And what is this talk that you cannot make a sacrifice for a girl unless she agrees to date you or whatever? I almost cannot believe a guy talking like that, unless he is one of those PUA jerks.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 1:18 am

rdos wrote:

And what is this talk that you cannot make a sacrifice for a girl unless she agrees to date you or whatever? I almost cannot believe a guy talking like that, unless he is one of those PUA jerks.

Becauss starting a relationship with a sacrifice feels wrong to me. If we haven't even met and she's already demanding sacrifices what will she expect when we actually are dating? Or when we're married? These tickets are valuable to me because I don't have the money to go to the movies very often. I could use them to go see two movies for free, but I'm willing to split it with her and only see one. That's my sacrifice. She's seeing that sacrifice and immediately expecting another, where I not only have to split my free tickets with her, I have to use them on a movie she wants rather than anything I'd actually like to see.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 5:53 am

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
rdos wrote:

Becauss starting a relationship with a sacrifice feels wrong to me. If we haven't even met and she's already demanding sacrifices what will she expect when we actually are dating? Or when we're married? These tickets are valuable to me because I don't have the money to go to the movies very often. I could use them to go see two movies for free, but I'm willing to split it with her and only see one. That's my sacrifice. She's seeing that sacrifice and immediately expecting another, where I not only have to split my free tickets with her, I have to use them on a movie she wants rather than anything I'd actually like to see.

If she has no interest in seeing the movie you want to see then she's not going to consider it a sacrifice from you, she'll see it as her sacrificing her time to see a movie she isn't interested in.

The same way you're worried that caving to her desires will set a precedent you don't want to set, not compromising may set a precedent for her that you are unwilling to compromise at all. Did you invite her to the movies in general, or did you invite her to see the movie you wanted to see? If the former then you've got to own the fact that you may have given her the impression that she gets a say in the movie. If the latter then you could just say you're pretty keen on seeing your movie and tell her she's welcome to accompany you or not, but you're dead set on seeing that movie.

Is there any movie you can see that you'd both enjoy?

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 7:05 am

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
If she was already my girlfriend, yeah I'd do it without a second thought. Compromise is essential to any relationship. But I don't feel right immediately caving to her desires on the very first date. We're not a couple, we haven't even met in person yet, so using my resources to spend my free time doing something only one of us is going to enjoy just feels... I dunno, like it sets a bad precedent for the future.

I get your hesitance, but as someone who's spent years in unfulfilling or abusive relationships, this is hardly caving to her desires. All you're experiencing is a typical problem when trying to pick a movie to see with anyone else (date, partner, friend, etc.). She's never going to give your stuff a chance if you don't make time for hers. That's the real test.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 7:17 am

It's all about compromise.
The movie is irrelevant... the point is going to see a movie with a lovely woman. Go and watch Wreck it Ralph on your own sometime.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:10 am

What’s wrong with Bohemian Rhapsody, anyway?

There’s no use being stubborn in this.

Pick your battles, my friend.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:11 am

Uh, maybe you aren't ready for a relationship?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:14 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Go to Bohemian Rhapsody. Be the bigger person and let her see the movie she is interested in. Of course, you won't take my advice on this.
Yeah ... it makes too much sense ...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:18 am

You’re going to look like a big jerk if you call seeing “Bohemian Rhapsody” a sacrifice.

It’s not like you have to see a romantic comedy or whatever....

A true sacrifice is you co-signing for her on a car loan. Or getting up in the middle of the night to get rid of a spider or something.

Come on, buddy....from one man to another....bite the bullet on this one.

“Wreck it Ralph” is not exactly a “date movie.”

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 28 Nov 2018, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:22 am

Or you could do something else that doesn't involve a movie. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:24 am

He has these free tickets that he got from Walmart....lucky SOB!! !!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:31 am

Yeah, but it's all about what HE wants, and that's the problem.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:57 am

It's rather like taking a girl to Burger King, rather than to Applebee's. Because the guy just doesn't like Applebee's...

Trust me....even the most "liberated" woman wouldn't like to be taken to Burger King on a first date!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 10:44 am

If you give in this time, Mr. Adams, you will at least get to the Ballpark.....

"Bohemian Rhapsody" is actually a good movie. I saw it last Sunday.