Public Displays of Affection (PDA)

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kmarie57
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2019, 7:28 am

How do you feel about PDA?

I get uncomfortable when other people do it, 1) because I don't know where to look and 2) I don't understand how they're so okay with being all over each other in public.

But I am more so wondering how you feel about PDA for yourself.

I had a high school boyfriend that I did a lot of PDA with...hugging and kissing (a peck here or there, never making out) in the hallways or hand holding, but never really more than that. One time we were saying goodbye at school and a teacher came up to us and got in our face and said "can I watch?" what the heck. Ever since then I have found it difficult to display my affection publicly.

With my current boyfriend, it took me a long time before I was okay with hugging or kissing him (again, just a peck or two, never making out) in public or holding his hand publicly. We are very affectionate at home, but in public I just feel very uncomfortable and am worried that people might be watching. I will hug, kiss or hold his hand in public now, but I still feel uncomfortable and every time I go to kiss him in public I have to look around me to make sure no one is watching.

Anyone else dislike doing their own public displays of affection?

While we're here, does anyone have an idea of why that creepy teacher's words got to me so much? I am sure that he said those words to plenty of other students as well, and I doubt that they affected anybody else as strongly as they did me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 7:44 am

I’m ok with it

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 7:58 am

I think kissing is too much, it always makes me uncomfortable.

The teacher wasn't being creepy, they were hinting that you shouldn't do that stuff there and that you should be ashamed of people watching.

kmarie57

03 Aug 2019, 8:06 am

smudge wrote:
The teacher wasn't being creepy, they were hinting that you shouldn't do that stuff there and that you should be ashamed of people watching.

I understood the meaning behind his actions, and it definitely worked seeing as how I struggle to do it at all now, but the way he went about it was DEFINITELY creepy. I am a teacher now, and there are plenty of better ways to tell students to cut out the PDA. I typically straight up tell the kids that they're being gross and that nobody wants to see it, but I would NEVER get in their face nor would I ask to watch. That would be uncomfortable for everyone involved.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 9:03 am

kmarie57 wrote:
smudge wrote:

I understood the meaning behind his actions, and it definitely worked seeing as how I struggle to do it at all now, but the way he went about it was DEFINITELY creepy. I am a teacher now, and there are plenty of better ways to tell students to cut out the PDA. I typically straight up tell the kids that they're being gross and that nobody wants to see it, but I would NEVER get in their face nor would I ask to watch. That would be uncomfortable for everyone involved.

He didn't actually mean he wanted to watch though. These days I don't think teachers would say that sort of thing, you're right.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 1:29 pm

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 2:34 pm

I personally would not care to see people all over each other eating each others faces and what not, though not really my business so I don't care that much...and I suspect people that are ok going that far in public probably don't care much what anyone thinks of it.

That said no need to feel self conscious about holding hands or a little kiss here and there, i do actually think it is kind of nice when I see people displaying a bit of affection in public...kind of weird when couples at the grocery store don't at all for instance.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 4:48 pm

If I had a girlfriend I would want to hold hands and not let go but I am a bit shy when it comes to more. I mean... In private I will kiss and hug and I will give a small hug in public and if I have to, a quick kiss. But I feel exposed. If in a private place or somewhere hidden I am fine to kiss and cuddle. :)
I am not sure if this is normal. Others seem to be a bit more forward in public.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 5:41 pm

smudge wrote:
kmarie57 wrote:
smudge wrote:

He didn't actually mean he wanted to watch though. These days I don't think teachers would say that sort of thing, you're right.

I know a teacher who would definitely say that, and it it wouldn't be because he was creepy, it would just be his style of humor.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Aug 2019, 10:30 am

kmarie57 wrote:
I had a high school boyfriend that I did a lot of PDA with...hugging and kissing (a peck here or there, never making out) in the hallways or hand holding, but never really more than that.
I'm very affectionate but only with women I'm in a romantic relationship with. Me & my current girlfriend hold hands a lot when going places & we sometimes touch each other or pat each other. We don't usually do hugging or kissing or tell each other "I Love You" when out in public unless she's leaving for the night & I went with her to the bus stop. I don't really notice when other people do PDA stuff cuz I'm too much in my own head.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 11:58 am

I would get uncomfortable with it. I can't get in a romantic mood when there are lots of people to pay attention to.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2019, 12:12 pm

It's pretty distracting when happening to myself and either comical or gross when witnessing others depending on my mood.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 11:06 pm

I find it rather creepy when I see couples doing that. I'm not the romantic type.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

16 Aug 2019, 2:05 am

I think it's kinda disrespectful considering it is uncomfortable I'd say for MOST people lol. I mean "those" couples though. The ones that go into a full on makeup session in a public space. Just. Whyyyyyy.

I'm not bothered by people hugging, handholding, or giving a peck, though.

I mostly haven't seen anyone go into full make out mode in public since highschool luckily. There was one chick at where I used to work that would do it right outside the production room. This was a retail store, mind you. I always thought it was kind of weird for an adult to be doing that.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 4:18 pm

I have no problem with PDAs.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 6:37 am

I recently witnessed a semi-friend of mine get his first girlfriend in many years. I cringe when I see them together because they look so ridiculous acting like 15 year olds (they are both in their late 30s). Having said that, I have certainly engaged in tasteful PDA with the Mrs.