Young girls would not talk too me in my last job!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 9:34 am

Back in 2006-2008 when I was at in my late teens at college young girls used talk too me quite a lot and some were interested in getting to know me better.

Fast forward too 2014-2015 aged 25 in my last job it seems that the ‘older women’ who were well over 30 would quite often talk too me however the younger women in the office would never interact with me at all. Why do you think this is? It’s not like 25 is old is it yet? I am turning 30 next week and I don’t understand why older women (some being in there 50s) gravitate towards me so much compared too young girls who are in there 20s.

I am guessing if your a 5ft8 man your not going too get a lot of respect from young women in the workforce either?

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 10:33 am

I'm your age. Do you work an office job? It's probably because most of us just focus on work and we have our headphones in and don't want to chat. Older generations seem to view work as more of a social thing. And younger people don't take their jobs seriously, because it's usually retail or food service. So they're more open to goofing around on the job.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 1:51 pm

martianprincess wrote:
I'm your age. Do you work an office job? It's probably because most of us just focus on work and we have our headphones in and don't want to chat. Older generations seem to view work as more of a social thing. And younger people don't take their jobs seriously, because it's usually retail or food service. So they're more open to goofing around on the job.

Yeah I did work in an office job a little over 4 years ago but I have been unemployed since then for mental health reasons.

Justin101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2019, 2:26 pm

I don't want to be crude but there's a simple answer to your question. Sex. If you can't figure out why that comes into play in the circumstances you mentioned then no further information I impart could help you.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 2:36 pm

Justin101 wrote:
I don't want to be crude but there's a simple answer to your question. Sex. If you can't figure out why that comes into play in the circumstances you mentioned then no further information I impart could help you.

As a nearly-30-year-old woman, I can assure you we don't only talk to men we want to have sex with.... It sounds like that's what you're implying.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Sep 2019, 9:40 pm

Lots of the older & younger women liked me when I was working but the younger 1s assumed I was gay :roll: They freaked out when I made a move on them & some of them gave me an attitude after & made my job more difficult :wall:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 1:16 am

Work just isn't a good place to get dates. There are too many seemingly interested young women who turn out to be platonic. Dating sites avoid this problem.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 6:39 am

I just came from a work dinner tonight and all the young "princesses" group together and stare at social media pictures together for entertainment and social discussion.

I stick to the oldies for conversation to maintain my sanity

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 11:33 am

I wouldn't take it personally. Younger women are into the things that younger women are into. No reflection on you.

And 30 is NOT old. I've done much more in my 2nd 30 years than I did in my first 30 years.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2019, 11:48 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Work just isn't a good place to get dates. There are too many seemingly interested young women who turn out to be platonic. Dating sites avoid this problem.

Social media and dating sites create a huge problem. Young people have terrible communication skills and spend too much time on technology. You do not develop as a person if you spend countless hours wasting your time away on a phone, not interacting with the real world.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 4:39 pm

Dude, don't even think of dating people you work with. Just don't. You want to keep that part of your life separate. Like the two worlds theory, you should have one world where it's all about work and another world that's all about your personal life, if they collide it will blow up. Any Seinfeld fans should get this reference. The relationship you and independent you are separate entities.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 5:38 pm

I think there is a serious disconnect between young NTs and older NTs in terms of social connection.
Social media is heavily used by younger people and technology is a normal part of communication/keeping in touch 24/7.
In addition the use of memes in communication (both verbal/visual) goes totally over us oldies' heads.

However the OP is clearly observing his interaction through the prism of "dating" rather than age. That's another matter entirely.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 6:06 pm

A lot of growing up goes on in between 20 and 30.

The young women in the office where I used to work considered 29/30 too old and they were in there early 20's. The older you get the less each year seems to matter.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 10:39 pm

Justin101 wrote:

Well, you are being crude and, IMHO, wrong. Women don't go to work looking to find dates, flirt or be hit on. That doesn't mean they never realize they are attracted to someone and thus try to get noticed, but it does mean that dating is NOT in the minds of most women when they go to work. They want to be professionals who are good at their jobs, and they want to be viewed that way. Trying to form any kind of relationship that isn't strictly professionally based is going to get most men in trouble. Sex is supposed to be left out of the office.

I think MartianPrincess has a really good point about the headphones, etc. Younger workers tend to be wrapped up in their own worlds. We have some that have never said a word to me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 2:33 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
[They want to be professionals who are good at their jobs, and they want to be viewed that way. \

Ok that makes perfect sense. Women in STEM fields in particular seem to be very work focussed because they are in a male dominated field and can't afford to waste opportunities over some random guy who keeps giving them the eye in the office.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 5:39 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Social media and dating sites create a huge problem. Young people have terrible communication skills and spend too much time on technology. You do not develop as a person if you spend countless hours wasting your time away on a phone, not interacting with the real world.

True. I'm almost 60 and I noticed that the young people who are always using technology can't even actually hold a simple conversation with anyone, they're completely distracted to the point that I don't even want to talk to them. It's annoying.