Having to prove that you are not a robot

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 10:06 am

When this site asks me to prove that I am not a robot, it always reminds me of the way girls ask me to prove that I am not a robot in dating. Just like it makes no sense that a robot would decide to use wrongplanet, it equally makes no sense that someone who doesn't really love a girl would claim that they do.

Yes I know how to lie -- but in order to lie there has to be something to be gained from that lie. So if a person doesn't love a girl, what would that person "gain" by being with her?! If what he "gains" is her affections, doesn't this mean that he "does" love her in some way, after all? If he didn't, then her affections wouldn't be positives -- and why would someone lie in order to get something "negative" out of the lie? It just makes no sense.

Am I missing something *both* in technology *and* in human interactions? Maybe if only I knew what others know those things wouldn't look so ridiculous, but they do.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 10:25 am

You have a lot of this in marriages:

The "spark," the "romance," the "skyrockets" of the marriage fades-----but the respect, friendship, and even love for your spouse remains.

Sometimes, this "respect, friendship, and even love" is even more important than the "romance." Frequently, this is what keeps marriages intact.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 10:29 am

If a girl is asking you to prove you're not a robot, they're a robot.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 7:17 pm

Sometimes a guy will tell a girl that he loves her (when not true) because he thinks it will motivate her to have sex with him.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 9:54 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
Sometimes a guy will tell a girl that he loves her (when not true) because he thinks it will motivate her to have sex with him.

I don't believe in sex before marriage yet I still keep facing the situations when the girl doesn't believe me that I love her.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 3:46 am

QFT wrote:
When this site asks me to prove that I am not a robot, it always reminds me of the way girls ask me to prove that I am not a robot in dating. Just like it makes no sense that a robot would decide to use wrongplanet, it equally makes no sense that someone who doesn't really love a girl would claim that they do.

Yes I know how to lie -- but in order to lie there has to be something to be gained from that lie. So if a person doesn't love a girl, what would that person "gain" by being with her?! If what he "gains" is her affections, doesn't this mean that he "does" love her in some way, after all? If he didn't, then her affections wouldn't be positives -- and why would someone lie in order to get something "negative" out of the lie? It just makes no sense.

Am I missing something *both* in technology *and* in human interactions? Maybe if only I knew what others know those things wouldn't look so ridiculous, but they do.

In the case of internet forums, the purpose of the robot question is to make it less easy for someone to automatically post thousands of posts or threads with some program. Sometimes they also give you some pictures and asks you to select the correct ones according to some criterion or asks you to type letters from a badly readable image. There was someone more than a year ago who would generate hundreds of the same thread until they got banned again and again. Maybe they disliked autistic people and wanted to disturb the forum. The question isn't literally about you being a robot, but about whether a human being is submitting the post themselves and not in an automated way.

As that1weirdgrrrl pointed out women may not believe every guy who says he loves her, because some just say it hoping to get sex. If the women in question know that you don't want sex before marriage, that won't be the reason in your case. Still sex isn't the only thing someone could hope to gain from claiming to love someone even though they don't. Someone may want a relationship because their family expects them to get married or because perpetual singleness is bad for their status within their social circle. They may want a relationship without caring about this individual woman. A lot of women don't like it if they feel like someone wants them because he wants a girlfriend, but he doesn't like anything about her besides the fact that she's a woman.
(Of course that is assuming that the woman in question is mentally stable. Some who are not may ask for constant reaffirmations or 'proofs' of love to quench their insecurities or play mind games even if the guy just told her he loves her and did nothing to indicate otherwise)

Not every person would define love the same way either, therefore you might love someone according to your definition and they may think it isn't really love.

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Jan 2020, 4:44 am

QFT wrote:
it makes no sense that a robot would decide to use wrongplanet

but they do it anyway :(

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran