Is there a word for being happy for someone And envious or

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:50 pm

Sad for yourself all at the same time?

That’s about how I’d describe news of family or friends/acquaintances entering new relationships or getting engaged or married.

Figured if there was a word for that Someone HERE would know it. :p Hmm, maybe it exists in another language or culture?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 3:35 am

Denial.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 5:08 pm

The nearest word I can think of is "bittersweet" because it denotes both positive and negative emotions at the same time.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 6:00 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Denial.

How is any definition of the word denial applicable? :?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 6:01 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
The nearest word I can think of is "bittersweet" because it denotes both positive and negative emotions at the same time.

Yeah, something like that. Maybe that’s as close as it gets.

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2020, 12:50 pm

Jealousy maybe?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 3:34 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Denial.

How is any definition of the word denial applicable? :?

The denial of being jealous. :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 5:40 am

It’s not jealousy/envy.

It’s closest to “bittersweet.”

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 9:26 am

Bittersweet is a good word to describe it.

I'm often bittersweet. When I was younger I'd get jealous when my cousins were seeing their friends instead of me. People accused me of trying to rule their lives or being extremely clingy, but it wasn't really that at all. It was the fact that I felt lonely and left out and that I really wanted to be doing things with friends too but couldn't, because nobody wanted to be my friend. Except for my cousins, which was why I suffered devastation when they done other things. Maybe the correct word for me is "envious".

It's a bit like if my cousin (who is like my best friend) get pregnant. I don't think I'll know how to shake the jealousy off. She's always banging on about having a baby one day and she's happily in a relationship with a guy. I know I am too, but I can't ever see myself getting pregnant, not with all the sensory issues I have and extreme hypersensitivity to pain. But then I get envious about other people my age getting pregnant.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 12:00 pm

Hello, Joe90...I understand the "bittersweet" feeling...To be happy for those, while at the same time sad for that which you don't have...And no, it is NOT jealousy...

I know, because i attended many, many, many happy weddings in the course of my life-time...And i was genuinely happy for the couple...Yet, at the same time, i was sad for me...I always believed in love; i just did not believe that it existed for me...

With respect to pregnancy, at least it is your choice NOT to have children...I don't have that choice...You see, i met my beloved husband until my late 40's...(I had lost my reproductive organs at a young age, appx one decade before)...Still, i am grateful to God that i was a "Substitute Mom" to my beloved niece and my beloved nephew, when i helped in their upbringing for approximately one decade...I am beyond grateful to God also for my husband's children...At present-time, they do not live with us; but i remain hopeful...Have you considered adoption???...An autistic child, perhaps...???...Just a thought...Greetings from California...And have a blessed Sunday... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 1:16 pm

Clueless2017 wrote:
Hello, Joe90...I understand the "bittersweet" feeling...To be happy for those, while at the same time sad for that which you don't have...And no, it is NOT jealousy...

I know, because i attended many, many, many happy weddings in the course of my life-time...And i was genuinely happy for the couple...Yet, at the same time, i was sad for me...I always believed in love; i just did not believe that it existed for me...

With respect to pregnancy, at least it is your choice NOT to have children...I don't have that choice...You see, i met my beloved husband until my late 40's...(I had lost my reproductive organs at a young age, appx one decade before)...Still, i am grateful to God that i was a "Substitute Mom" to my beloved niece and my beloved nephew, when i helped in their upbringing for approximately one decade...I am beyond grateful to God also for my husband's children...At present-time, they do not live with us; but i remain hopeful...Have you considered adoption???...An autistic child, perhaps...???...Just a thought...Greetings from California...And have a blessed Sunday... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Can't adopt - in the UK they don't let you adopt unless you are very rich and under 25. Sadly, we're neither of those. My partner 20 years older than me and is unemployed.

And no disrespect to autistic people but I wouldn't want an autistic child.

But to avoid derailing this thread, visit my thread here:-

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=387592&p=8657605#p8657605

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 3:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Clueless2017 wrote:

Can't adopt - in the UK they don't let you adopt unless you are very rich and under 25. Sadly, we're neither of those. My partner 20 years older than me and is unemployed.

What about being Foster Parents instead of adoptive parents? Here, I think damned near anyone without a criminal record can do it - And from what I hear they’re paid quite handsomely by the government to be able to provide car for said child/children.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 4:52 pm

There is a great need for foster parents.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 5:32 pm

Fostering isn't the same as adoption or having a child of your own. Usually fostered children come and go and are often troubled or can have behaviour problems. I know a woman who is fostering, and some of the children she's fostered in the past were such a handful. There was one child she got really attached to and was really upset when the child got adopted by a grandparent.

No, fostering isn't the same. I just want a baby of my own.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 5:54 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Clueless2017 wrote:

What about being Foster Parents instead of adoptive parents? Here, I think damned near anyone without a criminal record can do it - And from what I hear they’re paid quite handsomely by the government to be able to provide car for said child/children.

... ... ...

I suppose being a foster parent is a good alternative to adoption...Especially for those of us with a strong maternal instinct...As i said already, i am grateful to God for the important role that i played in the upbringing of my beloved niece and my beloved nephew...In doing so, there was NO monetary gain for me--none whatsoever...Quite the contrary, they owned my paychecks for one decade :D ...However, the emotional rewards to date are priceless :heart: :heart: :heart:

In my humble opinion, the prospect of earning money should NEVER be the primary motive to care for a child...Sadly, in the United States, by the time these children are teenagers, they have been in the foster care system so-o-o l-o-n-g that they may have had about one hundred different foster parents...This lack of stability and security invariable harms them physically, emotionally and mentally...So yes, they need good parenting, ideally foster parents who eventually adopt them as their own...Have a blessed Sunday, you all... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 7:02 am

Joe90 wrote:
Fostering isn't the same as adoption or having a child of your own. Usually fostered children come and go and are often troubled or can have behaviour problems. I know a woman who is fostering, and some of the children she's fostered in the past were such a handful. There was one child she got really attached to and was really upset when the child got adopted by a grandparent.

No, fostering isn't the same. I just want a baby of my own.

... ... ...
I am with you Joe :cry: