Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 2:00 pm

One of the latest dating terms is called APOCALYPSING.

Many moments this year have felt like the end of the world, so it makes sense that some singles are searching for their perfect partner like it’s the apocalypse. "Because of COVID, we’re in a scenario where we’re being told to not have human contact and physical touch, and that takes away our ability to have the emotional and physical connections that we as humans require," Forshee told Refinery29. "The more socially isolated we are, the more likely we are to get attached to somebody." What’s more, frequent conversation with a new boo over text or video chat "creates a very false sense of knowing who this person is," the psychologist said – but that isn't always true. "When we know we have things in common with someone, we as humans think: ‘Oh they’re similar to us, we can trust them,'"

CASPERING
Ghosting is what puts a lot of singletons off entering the dating pool with the fear of being given the silent treatment from a date. But just like the animated ghoul, Caspering implies a friendly form of ghosting by giving your match some warning before doing a disappearing act.

FLEABAGGING
Fans of the BBC show will be well aware of Phoebe Waller Bridge’s many (many) dating disasters. And this dating term is for anyone suffering the same fate, with Fleabagging referring to those who consistently pick the wrong men.

GLAMBOOZLING
Most of us will dial up the glamour when it comes to a first date, whether that’s a fresh haircut or perhaps a whole new outfit. But if you’re stood up, or bamboozled, having pulled out all the stops, well you have just been glamboozled my friend.

FLASHPANNING
The first few months of dating are normally referred to as the Honeymoon period, with nothing to muddy the waters. However, inevitably all couples will eventually run into disagreements and while most will muddle through a flashpanner will jump ship as soon as things get tough.

YELLOW CARDING
Like in football producing a yellow card in a relationship is a way of giving your partner a warning. While it’s not quite dumping territory, you’re letting them know that if the behavior continues a red card may come in to play and the match will be over.

EXOSKELETON-ING
If you are approached by a partner’s ex over social media then you have been a victim of an exoskeleton. The term refers to your partner’s skeletons coming out of the cupboard.

CAUSE-PLAYING
For many of us, once a partner becomes an ex they disappear for good, however a cause-player refers to one who messages you out of the blue. But rather than confessing pent up feelings, this ex is looking for a favor from you.

Sources:
How the coronavirus pandemic amplified 'apocalypsing,' a relatable dating trend
‘Fleabagging,’ ‘Glamboozling’ are latest bizarre dating terms

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 2:06 pm

Cause-playing may be the reason why some people ghost their ex-'s.

Or worse still, some ex's primary interest in staying in contact with their ex,
is so that they can sabotage everything in their lives, from romantic interests,
to job offers etc. as well as exploiting them for favours.

In some cases it may even be an extension to cyberstalking, eavesdropping and even physical stalking.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 2:22 pm

BREAD-CRUMBING
This occurs when you are not super-interested in someone, but continue to lead them on with no intent of following through with a more 'serious' relationship.

BREEZING
Being direct and saying what you want in a relationship. The opposite of following dating "rules" or playing games.

CATFISHING
A situation in which someone assumes a completely fake identity online -- a 50-year old man pretending to be a 17-year old woman, for example.

CUSHIONING
Having a plan B in case your current relationship doesn't work out. Cushioning can be outright cheating on an exclusive partner, or it can be sending flirty texts to multiple people so that if one falls through, you have someone else to turn to for romance.

ENTANGLEMENT
A euphemism for an embarrassing relationship; likely one involving surreptitious explorations of one's "alternate sexuality" while proclaiming membership in a fundamentalist religion.

GATSBY-ING
When you post something -- say, a snapshot of your travels abroad, or a particularly sexy selfie -- just so your crush will see it. In other words, when you "Throw a party on the 'gram".

GHOSTING
Ghosting is exactly what it sounds like: Disappearing without warning after a series of dates or romantic correspondences.

KITTENFISHING
Presenting yourself in an overly positive light on the internet, by lying about your height or posting a photo from when you were a few years younger, for example.  Kittenfishing is not as extreme as catfishing.

LOVINGLY REPECTFUL SPACE
A euphemism of living apart while still committed to each other.

MOPED-ING
Similar to Stashing (See below); involves dating someone who may not be as attractive as you have been telling your friends and relatives.  Derived from an old joke about mopeds (e.g., "... fun to ride, but you would not want your friends to see you on one").

ORBITING
When someone continues to follow you, even after they've ghosted you (See Ghosting).  They'll like your Facebook posts or watch your Instagram stories, for example, but won't say anything.

REBATING
Venmo-ing someone for half of the cost of a first date after learning they're not interested in a second one.

SELF-PARTNERED
A euphemism for 'Single'; one that implies being happily single.

STASHING
Refusing to introduce the person you're dating to friends or family -- sort of like stashing them in a drawer when others are around so that no one else will see them.

SUBMARINING
Jumping back into a relationship or a fling after ghosting. So, basically submarining is ... Zombie-ing (See below).

ZOMBIE-ING
Hitting someone up after a long period of silence (e.g., Returning from the dead).  A form of breadcrumbing (see above).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 17 Dec 2020, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 3:23 pm

I would do it the old-fashioned way---if I was eligible for dating. I wouldn't try to be "hip" by stating these terms in conversation.

All this new vocabulary----is just needless slang to me. Though I will study the terms in case they are used on me :)

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 7:53 pm

I've been single for the last year and I haven't heard of any of these terms. I may be too uncool. :lol:

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 8:45 pm

Ghost-marketer:

Someone who acts interested, flirts, and then ghosts you when the time to meet arrives, yet still wants you to promote their work such as music.

Oh, and some advice - if someone is quick to switch to another platform, then the conversation is likely to either end abruptly on the new platform or they want to scam you (or both). If they make a remark about "never really being on this app lol" then they don't really care about meeting someone and are likely just on the app for validation.

The recruiter:

You've matched with this person, but it turns out they aren't actually looking for dates - they want to find new band members for their band or a personal assistant. Suddenly you're in a conversation about hireable skills despite not looking for a job, because this a dating app, not a recruitment centre. There's a business section in Bumble - go there not Tinder.

I get the sense that I have rather strange experiences with online dating.

The where's Wally / Waldo:

Every picture on their profile is a group photo. Which person is it? No one knows.

:P

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 17 Dec 2020, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 8:57 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Ghost-marketer:

Someone who acts interested, flirts, and then ghosts you when the time to meet arrives, yet still wants you to promote their work such as music.

Oh, and some advice - if someone is quick to switch to another platform, then the conversation is likely to either end abruptly on the new platform or they want to scam you (or both). If they make a remark about "never really being on this app lol" then they don't really care about meeting someone and are likely just on the app for validation.

The recruiter:

You've matched with this person, but it turns out they aren't actually looking for something romantic- they want to find new band members for their band or a personal assistant. Suddenly you're in a conversation about hireable skills despite not looking for a job, because this a dating app, not a recruitment centre. There's a business section in Bumble - go there not Tinder.

Every picture on their profile is a group photo. Which person is it? No one knows.

Omg the group photo thing drives me nuts! Why do people do that?!

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 1:58 am

Lost_dragon wrote:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would draw these conclusions. Why couldn't it just mean that they prefer the other platform for whatever reason?

I would be wary, for privacy reasons, if I were invited too soon to "another platform" that offered significantly less privacy than the original app, or to a platform I'd never heard of. I'd also be wary if they wanted my phone number or email address too soon. But I don't see the problem otherwise.

Lost_dragon wrote:
The recruiter:

You've matched with this person, but it turns out they aren't actually looking for dates - they want to find new band members for their band or a personal assistant. Suddenly you're in a conversation about hireable skills despite not looking for a job, because this a dating app, not a recruitment centre. There's a business section in Bumble - go there not Tinder.

Where do you think someone should go if what they specifically want is a romantic relationship with someone who also can be a member of their band? That would probably not be appropriate in a "business section on Bumble"?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 5:55 am

jimmy m wrote:

One of the latest dating terms is called APOCALYPSING.

Many moments this year have felt like the end of the world, so it makes sense that some singles are searching for their perfect partner like it’s the apocalypse. "Because of COVID, we’re in a scenario where we’re being told to not have human contact and physical touch, and that takes away our ability to have the emotional and physical connections that we as humans require," Forshee told Refinery29. "The more socially isolated we are, the more likely we are to get attached to somebody." What’s more, frequent conversation with a new boo over text or video chat "creates a very false sense of knowing who this person is," the psychologist said – but that isn't always true. "When we know we have things in common with someone, we as humans think: ‘Oh they’re similar to us, we can trust them,'"

CASPERING
Ghosting is what puts a lot of singletons off entering the dating pool with the fear of being given the silent treatment from a date. But just like the animated ghoul, Caspering implies a friendly form of ghosting by giving your match some warning before doing a disappearing act.

FLEABAGGING
Fans of the BBC show will be well aware of Phoebe Waller Bridge’s many (many) dating disasters. And this dating term is for anyone suffering the same fate, with Fleabagging referring to those who consistently pick the wrong men.

GLAMBOOZLING
Most of us will dial up the glamour when it comes to a first date, whether that’s a fresh haircut or perhaps a whole new outfit. But if you’re stood up, or bamboozled, having pulled out all the stops, well you have just been glamboozled my friend.

FLASHPANNING
The first few months of dating are normally referred to as the Honeymoon period, with nothing to muddy the waters. However, inevitably all couples will eventually run into disagreements and while most will muddle through a flashpanner will jump ship as soon as things get tough.

YELLOW CARDING
Like in football producing a yellow card in a relationship is a way of giving your partner a warning. While it’s not quite dumping territory, you’re letting them know that if the behavior continues a red card may come in to play and the match will be over.

EXOSKELETON-ING
If you are approached by a partner’s ex over social media then you have been a victim of an exoskeleton. The term refers to your partner’s skeletons coming out of the cupboard.

CAUSE-PLAYING
For many of us, once a partner becomes an ex they disappear for good, however a cause-player refers to one who messages you out of the blue. But rather than confessing pent up feelings, this ex is looking for a favor from you.

Sources:
How the coronavirus pandemic amplified 'apocalypsing,' a relatable dating trend
‘Fleabagging,’ ‘Glamboozling’ are latest bizarre dating terms

Why on earth are you, of all ppl, interested in this? 8O

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 6:21 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would draw these conclusions. Why couldn't it just mean that they prefer the other platform for whatever reason?

I would be wary, for privacy reasons, if I were invited too soon to "another platform" that offered significantly less privacy than the original app, or to a platform I'd never heard of. I'd also be wary if they wanted my phone number or email address too soon. But I don't see the problem otherwise.

Admittedly, I only draw such conclusions out of anecdotal bitterness. Granted, it could be a layout interface preference, however in my experiences whenever a conversation crossed over it almost always ended abruptly. I know I've seen a few profiles with bios that remark "please don't ask me to follow you on *insert platform here* if we're only going to have one conversation there". A friend of mine has also had this issue, where they get left on read in the new platform and have noted that this has occurred a few times. I now refer to this section of a certain social media app as the conversation graveyard because it's apparently where all my conversations go to die. The only exception of this not happening to me was with someone I already knew IRL somewhat, but in that case we just weren't particularly compatible despite our mutual friend's meddling. So now I am hesitant to move to other platforms unless I've met the person IRL at least once. I'd say be cautious if it's more of a business account than a personal social media.

Mona Pereth wrote:
Where do you think someone should go if what they specifically want is a romantic relationship with someone who also can be a member of their band? That would probably not be appropriate in a "business section on Bumble"?

In that case, I think it should be mentioned in the bio description in the dating section of an app e.g. "looking for a date who can double as a band mate".

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 9:33 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

Admittedly, I only draw such conclusions out of anecdotal bitterness. Granted, it could be a layout interface preference, however in my experiences whenever a conversation crossed over it almost always ended abruptly. I know I've seen a few profiles with bios that remark "please don't ask me to follow you on *insert platform here* if we're only going to have one conversation there". A friend of mine has also had this issue, where they get left on read in the new platform and have noted that this has occurred a few times. I now refer to this section of a certain social media app as the conversation graveyard because it's apparently where all my conversations go to die.

Strange. I wonder what the reason for this might be.

Lost_dragon wrote:
The only exception of this not happening to me was with someone I already knew IRL somewhat, but in that case we just weren't particularly compatible despite our mutual friend's meddling. So now I am hesitant to move to other platforms unless I've met the person IRL at least once.

I'd say be cautious if it's more of a business account than a personal social media.

Well, yes, in that case the person might just be trying to build up a following on the business-oriented account.

It's also a privacy risk if it's on, say, LinkedIn. I think the most important question to ask about any proposed alternative platform is, "Could this harm my career if any dating-oriented drama erupts here?" -- keeping in mind that nearly all potential future employers will Google you. Hence avoid any platform where your legal name is used.

Lost_dragon wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

In that case, I think it should be mentioned in the bio description in the dating section of an app e.g. "looking for a date who can double as a band mate".

Of course it should be mentioned if that's what the person is specifically looking for.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 10:07 am

Pepe wrote:
Why on earth are you, of all ppl, interested in this? 8O

I'm not. But some members on Wrong Planet are. When I come across an article of interest by the community, I tend to post it. I find the current dating scene really confusing. I am glad that I came from an earlier time when people were more direct.

[p.s. Also one of my special interest areas is "A hatred of acronyms" I detest them. As a result I periodically create a thread on Wrong Planet every few months called "Autism Acronyms and Abbreviations" in which I define them. This is similar. People create slang words that describe dating trend vocabulary. I find their codifying of their poor behavior to be somewhat deplorable.]

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 12:02 pm

I’ve realized most of my pics are at least 2-3 years old, would that be kittenfishing? :cat:

I simply rarely take photos.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Dec 2020, 9:41 am

I only knew two of those terms which are Catfishing & Ghosting. I have been in a relationship for the last 8 & a half years thou & have not really been on any dating sites in like 10 years so I have an excuse for living under a rock :lol: I like the Breezing term. Being direct and saying what I wanted in a relationship was my approach at trying to get a relationship. I'm sure it is some of why I never had any luck on the many dating sites I tried. NTs & maybe generally more so with NT women than NT men, tend to dislike the direct approach with dating & relationships. Very thankfully my current girlfriend was very direct from the start :mrgreen: :heart:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

21 Dec 2020, 3:18 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
Ghost-marketer:

The recruiter:

I recently kept having a woman keep trying to get me to another platform because she didn't like the app, because the app was bugging, and after a bunch of exploration into her bug issues she ghosted me. She kept kissing me every message. 0w0

I also often get replies 'im never on this app' but they replied fast to me.

I am guilty of app inviting before deleting an app i dislike. :|