Divorce rates supposedly dropping

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 2:13 pm

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/10/divorce-united-states-dropping-because-millennials/

Then again, they will probably pick up due to the cabin fever effect of COVID quarantines.

Quote:
Unlike baby boomers who married young regardless of their circumstances, millennials – and some Gen Xers – are choosing to marry once they have completed their education, have established their careers and have sound finances.

I made it a goal for myself to own my home before I get into dating and a search for a serious relationship.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 4:56 pm

Quote:
I made it a goal for myself to own my home before I get into dating and a search for a serious relationship.

Is your goal to have the house paid off entirely, or just to have a mortgage and live in the house?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 5:06 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
Quote:

Is your goal to have the house paid off entirely, or just to have a mortgage and live in the house?

Live in a home of my own. I met the goal.

Not related to the relationship goals, I would like to have it fully paid off ASAP.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 5:30 pm

I find this news very promising. There is still love on this planet. :heart:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 5:31 pm

Younger generations learned from watching their parents failures so millennials and younger gens will probably see this decline continue.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 8:25 pm

...because marriages are dropping too.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 9:16 pm

Probably because of covid related unemployment.. people can't afford to get divorced! :P

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Mar 2021, 12:35 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Probably because of covid related unemployment.. people can't afford to get divorced! :P
I thought that as well when I read the thread tittle. I also thought that people had less options for dating & relationships & sex rite now due to social distancing. People are more likely to try making a relationship work when they think they won't be able to jump ship to a new one as easily. I didn't know there was a trend of divorce rates gong down since before Covid. I have noticed thou that people are more willing to live together unmarried these days than they did in the 90s. Living together a while 1st can help people get a better feel for each other. Every now & then I read something on this forum by a very frustrated NT who is married to an Aspie or person the NT assumes is an Aspie & me & some others are wondering how did the NT not notice those behaviors/issues/negative traits before they got married :? A high amount of those couples did not live together before marriage or only lived together a short time 1st. Sometimes it's better for couples to live together a while before deciding to get married & having kids, especially when one or both of them are not the type to take relationships super seriously.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 12:46 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
...because marriages are dropping too.

According to the article linked in the O.P that is a factor.

Me and my boyfriend are in our 30s and we just live together, for one it would effect my SSI which we cannot afford at the moment I guess that is really the main reason we have not. Though if and when we do we're not doing a wedding ceremony, we both hate weddings so why would we want one let alone to spend money on it, will just sign the thing or whatever you do to get it on paper.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Mar 2021, 2:43 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Me and my boyfriend are in our 30s and we just live together, for one it would effect my SSI which we cannot afford at the moment I guess that is really the main reason we have not. Though if and when we do we're not doing a wedding ceremony, we both hate weddings so why would we want one let alone to spend money on it, will just sign the thing or whatever you do to get it on paper.
Same situation as me & my girlfriend. I'm on Social Security Disability & she's on SSI. Getting married would screw up her SSI & my income would also be factored in her Section 8 housing voucher if we were married. There was some confusion when were were getting ready to move in together & Cass was told by Section 8 that they would not approve a two bedroom place unless she was living with someone in her immediate family like parent or sibling or if she had kids. They would not approve it for a wife & husband or girlfriend & boyfriend. Like me she would have major problems living alone & her docs & psychs know it so she had me classified as her live-in-aid/caretaker to get around that. It must of been misunderstanding or lying on their part cuz we know others that got a two bedroom without having that BS. When they approved it we found out that my income would not be factored in to her rent or utilities since I'm her live-in-aid. I pay for various things other than rent & utilities(she's supposed to pay for those herself). I pay our cellphones & service, & cable & net & supplements & over the counter meds she takes. I kinda want a part-time job where I could make a little extra but still keep my disability & health care but part of the reason I didn't search is cuz her mental & physical health started getting worse due to stress of where we were living getting worse & her family having some deaths & their health getting worse & them putting stress on her. She started needing me around more. Her food-stamps might would actually pay me a little for being her live-in-aid but live-in-aids can not be considered disabled & on benefits like Social Security Disability or SSI themselves. If she wouldn't need me around as much, I could theoretically get a full time job making too much to qualify for disability & then I could get paid from her food-stamps as well. She can not directly lie & she would need to live with someone else if she didn't have me & I do various little things for her so the boyfriend part is just being left out & she leaves out the stuff she does that helps me. The system is extremely screwy sometimes so we're not gonna feel guilty for finding a loophole that they kinda forced us to find anyways. Sorry for the rambling. If that wasn't an issue we would be married. I would rather an elopement type wedding but she would want her close family there as well & maybe the pastor she had when she was going to church perform the ceremony.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition