Casual sex was dying out before the pandemic

Page 3 of 13 [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 10:35 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
MaxE wrote:
If decreased alcohol consumption is a factor, then I would be curious to see the numbers for the US because alcohol is usually much more available and inexpensive there. Staying sober because you can't afford booze is not a thing in the US.

It is and it isn't. My children are millennials, and from what they have told me, the way people (younger people anyhow) drink now is different than it was when I was younger. Bars are more expensive than buying alcohol and drinking it at home or someone else's house/apartment/whatever. The drinks cost more, you need to tip, and so on.

That has been the trend for them, not frequenting bars so much, and if they do they 'pre game it', meaning they get buzzed before heading out to the bar so they only have to cough up money for one or two drinks there and mostly end up drinking pop or water, which is cheaper and sometimes free if they go to a bar that doesn't charge for those because they do that to encourage people to be designated drivers. They haven't completely sobered up due to the cost, but the cost is impacting how much they drink and how they drink. Like with the pre gaming it, they aren't drinking much at bars and as a result getting more sober while at one v/s getting tipsier throughout the night because they can't usually afford to.

It would seem to me that if drinking for younger people has become more like just hanging out at a friends house with other friends while drinking, casual sex would be on the decline because of that. It's not like they're out meeting new people all the time that they could hook up with. Unless they're into hooking up with their friends, that is. :lol:

Even though alcohol costs more in the USA than it used to a generation ago, it's still ridiculously inexpensive compared to here in BC.

Y'all would s**t bricks at the price of drinks here. In cheap liquor areas of the USA, you can buy drinks at bars for cheaper than we can buy drinks by the bottle in liquor stores.

When my brother was a cruise travel agent for a decade he said one of the most frequent complaints from Americans was the price of drinks onboard ships. I asked the prices, he told me, and I was like "Meh, regular bar prices.. so what?" Well, I guess they're used to paying ~half that at home.

..and that's regular bar prices. How about a beer at a stadium? :lol: I paid over $30 (maybe even $40 with tip) for 2 ~20 ounce beers at a Canucks game once. (and that was the more economical option vs. the smaller beers.)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 10:36 pm

MaxE wrote:
Fnord wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Fnord wrote:
MaxE wrote:
If decreased alcohol consumption is a factor, then I would be curious to see the numbers for the US because alcohol is usually much more available and inexpensive there.  Staying sober because you can't afford booze is not a thing in the US.
It is not just the sobriety, it is also the closed singles' bars that have ruined the chances for one-night-stands.
The OP claims the trend is pre-COVID, anyway bars are fully open now in most parts of the US ( in contrast to Canada).
In that case, we may be seeing another "Boomer" generation being born in 2022.

Well if the current conditions lead to some sort of nightmare scenario, the bars might be closing soon. I just saw on the morning news that they're sending all the school kids home in Ontario. Are things that much worse there than in the US?

Why would anywhere in Canada base their public health response to covid on the s**tshow going on South of the border? :?

Ontario & Quebec have simply been the worst in the entire country and thus are trying to do what they can to mitigate that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 10:47 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Fnord wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Fnord wrote:
MaxE wrote:
If decreased alcohol consumption is a factor, then I would be curious to see the numbers for the US because alcohol is usually much more available and inexpensive there.  Staying sober because you can't afford booze is not a thing in the US.
It is not just the sobriety, it is also the closed singles' bars that have ruined the chances for one-night-stands.
The OP claims the trend is pre-COVID, anyway bars are fully open now in most parts of the US ( in contrast to Canada).
In that case, we may be seeing another "Boomer" generation being born in 2022.

Well if the current conditions lead to some sort of nightmare scenario, the bars might be closing soon. I just saw on the morning news that they're sending all the school kids home in Ontario. Are things that much worse there than in the US?

Why would anywhere in Canada base their public health response to covid on the s**tshow going on South of the border? :?

Ontario & Quebec have simply been the worst in the entire country and thus are trying to do what they can to mitigate that.

With Doug Ford in charge Ontario might as well be a red state. :roll:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

Casual sex was never a thing in Houston because, you know, evangelical Christians.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

Tim_Tex wrote:
Casual sex was never a thing in Houston because, you know, evangelical Christians.

They just feel guilty afterwards.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:57 am

Quote:
That was my experience with going on nights out - a pre drinking session was always assumed before going to the clubs. We'd go to a friend's flat and hang out for hours before going to the club. I didn't drink much, I don't drink much in general. The drunken conversations were surprising - I ended up talking to someone who started talking about socio-economic issues and then in the next sentence switched to asking about my love life.

There were attempts to set me up with people, but they failed miserably. Most of my friends are avid gamers, whilst I'm more of a casual, but I've been accepted into that group anyway. Granted, most of them aren't straight men, which this article seems to be talking about. I'd say the vast majority of the group are lesbian couples who game together.

It seems like a sensible solution to me, drinking before going out. Not only would it save money, but it would seem like more fun. Granted, I find bars loud and nearly impossible to hold a conversation in. Hanging out at a friends place seems a calmer, more inviting environment where one could have conversations even if they get a random and switch up from moment to moment. I've noticed drunk people tend to do things like that too.

I have no idea how many of my kids or their friends do hook up with friends. Only one (maybe two) of my children would be likely to tell me too much about that side of their drinking adventures. I wonder how common that is or isn't...

Quote:
Even though alcohol costs more in the USA than it used to a generation ago, it's still ridiculously inexpensive compared to here in BC.

Y'all would s**t bricks at the price of drinks here. In cheap liquor areas of the USA, you can buy drinks at bars for cheaper than we can buy drinks by the bottle in liquor stores.

When my brother was a cruise travel agent for a decade he said one of the most frequent complaints from Americans was the price of drinks onboard ships. I asked the prices, he told me, and I was like "Meh, regular bar prices.. so what?" Well, I guess they're used to paying ~half that at home.

..and that's regular bar prices. How about a beer at a stadium? :lol: I paid over $30 (maybe even $40 with tip) for 2 ~20 ounce beers at a Canucks game once. (and that was the more economical option vs. the smaller beers.)

I'm not sure how much of it is an increase in the cost of alcohol. I think with my kids, it's that they don't make as much money, comparatively. Most of my kids and their friends can't afford to live on their own now, much less blow what extra cash they have on splurging for nights out. They also tend to be better tippers than people my age have been historically, and keep that in mind when deciding if they can afford to go out. As someone who was a bartender years ago, I very much appreciate their mindset on that one. :D

But yeah, I agree. The price of alcohol here is pretty cheap, comparatively. There's no way I would pay that much for beer. I understand stadiums charge more, but damn. :lol: No. Just no. What is the average price for a drink where you are? I think here it's something like $4 to $5 if you get something closer to top shelf instead of just house liquor.

Beer tends to vary a lot, some places you can get some cheap tap beer on special sometimes for as low as $2 a glass, but it's usually beer that no one wants to be drinking in the first place. For a dollar or two more, you can get something much better.

There are bars with more pricey drinks. But those tend to be the types of bars younger people don't frequent due to the cost. We have a few bars in my town where you get get a $15 drink that's not that exceptional, just an overpriced mojito or something. Then next door there would be another bar where you can get the same drink for $5. Just paying for the environment in those places, I think.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 10:05 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
Quote:
That was my experience with going on nights out - a pre drinking session was always assumed before going to the clubs. We'd go to a friend's flat and hang out for hours before going to the club. I didn't drink much, I don't drink much in general. The drunken conversations were surprising - I ended up talking to someone who started talking about socio-economic issues and then in the next sentence switched to asking about my love life.

There were attempts to set me up with people, but they failed miserably. Most of my friends are avid gamers, whilst I'm more of a casual, but I've been accepted into that group anyway. Granted, most of them aren't straight men, which this article seems to be talking about. I'd say the vast majority of the group are lesbian couples who game together.

It seems like a sensible solution to me, drinking before going out. Not only would it save money, but it would seem like more fun. Granted, I find bars loud and nearly impossible to hold a conversation in. Hanging out at a friends place seems a calmer, more inviting environment where one could have conversations even if they get a random and switch up from moment to moment. I've noticed drunk people tend to do things like that too.

I have no idea how many of my kids or their friends do hook up with friends. Only one (maybe two) of my children would be likely to tell me too much about that side of their drinking adventures. I wonder how common that is or isn't...

Quote:

I'm not sure how much of it is an increase in the cost of alcohol. I think with my kids, it's that they don't make as much money, comparatively. Most of my kids and their friends can't afford to live on their own now, much less blow what extra cash they have on splurging for nights out. They also tend to be better tippers than people my age have been historically, and keep that in mind when deciding if they can afford to go out. As someone who was a bartender years ago, I very much appreciate their mindset on that one. :D

But yeah, I agree. The price of alcohol here is pretty cheap, comparatively. There's no way I would pay that much for beer. I understand stadiums charge more, but damn. :lol: No. Just no. What is the average price for a drink where you are? I think here it's something like $4 to $5 if you get something closer to top shelf instead of just house liquor.

Beer tends to vary a lot, some places you can get some cheap tap beer on special sometimes for as low as $2 a glass, but it's usually beer that no one wants to be drinking in the first place. For a dollar or two more, you can get something much better.

There are bars with more pricey drinks. But those tend to be the types of bars younger people don't frequent due to the cost. We have a few bars in my town where you get get a $15 drink that's not that exceptional, just an overpriced mojito or something. Then next door there would be another bar where you can get the same drink for $5. Just paying for the environment in those places, I think.

Everything here has gone up far more in cost than wages have risen, too.. but to one of the most extreme lengths in the entire world. Home prices have gone up like 20x while wages have gone up 2x. I, too, bartended for several years.. but now that everything is ultra expensive, wages are low, and drinking driving laws are the strictest in the world at 0.05, and taxis are among the most expensive.. it's the perfect storm for house parties vs. lineups at night clubs.

Drink prices vary wildly depending on location & the drink. I had a 12oz beer on special for around $4.50 on the weekend - but that was at a golf course at Cultus Lake about 125km or so away from Vancouver. You can still get a drink for under $5 at dive bars in the city I think, but typical range is probably more like $6-8, which then often ends up being $10 w/ tip. Then of course there are places where drinks are $10-$15+ for fancy cocktails etc. I think I ordered a double Belvedere in some lounge for like $12 (which I thought was cheap for a double downtown) & paid $20 for it. (The F I care about leaving a nice tip for the bar when I'm only going to buy 1 drink that night and maybe 3 in bars / year.)

Basic beers might be around $5-6, but fancy sought after small batch craft stuff could be double. Just depends. I drink often, just not a lot, 1-2 drinks. So sometimes I drink top shelf, and others I buy the cheapest stuff in the liquor store - more often than not I buy lower priced stuff But try to aim for the best value. There are alcohols of all types that are near the lowest price point but drink like something more top shelf.

Nosho
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2021, 3:39 pm

I think it's just the whole kit and kaboodle. You know what I mean? It's all of the different variables, that when added up, all come together to bring the birth rate down..

Plus, birth control is much more accessible, and people are far more educated about sex (and in general, because of the internet.)

Also, the current times aren't exactly economically feasible for baby havin' and people are short on time they can dedicate to caring for kids.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:09 pm

Nosho wrote:
I think it's just the whole kit and kaboodle. You know what I mean? It's all of the different variables, that when added up, all come together to bring the birth rate down..

Plus, birth control is much more accessible, and people are far more educated about sex (and in general, because of the internet.)

Also, the current times aren't exactly economically feasible for baby havin' and people are short on time they can dedicate to caring for kids.

And all by design, IMO. Those that control the world are making things too expensive for people to continue overpopulating the planet on purpose so we stop doing it. ~8 BILLION humans alive rn = more ppl alive rn than have EVER died. Think about that! Completely unsustainable population growth.. from 2 Billion to ~8 Billion in 80 years.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:16 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
And all by design, IMO. Those that control the world are making things too expensive for people to continue overpopulating the planet on purpose so we stop doing it. ~8 BILLION humans alive rn = more ppl alive rn than have EVER died. Think about that! Completely unsustainable population growth.. from 2 Billion to ~8 Billion in 80 years.

The underlined isn't true.

Quote:
So what are the figures? There are currently seven billion people alive today and the Population Reference Bureau estimates that about 107 billion people have ever lived.

This means that we are nowhere near close to having more alive than dead. In fact, there are 15 dead people for every person living. We surpassed seven billion dead way back between 8000BC and AD1.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16870579

I used to believe that factoid too, but it only resembles a fact.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

The underlined isn't true.

Quote:
So what are the figures? There are currently seven billion people alive today and the Population Reference Bureau estimates that about 107 billion people have ever lived.

This means that we are nowhere near close to having more alive than dead. In fact, there are 15 dead people for every person living. We surpassed seven billion dead way back between 8000BC and AD1.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16870579

I used to believe that factoid too, but it only resembles a fact.

I see.

Well then, heteros should bang more and make more gaybies. 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:49 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I see.

But by the time they're useful to you they'll have to call you granddaddy. 8)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:53 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
I see.

If they're 18-21 yo smokin' hot twinks they can call me whatever they want. 8)

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 7:27 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
I see.

If they're 18-21 yo smokin' hot twinks they can call me whatever they want. 8)

Even late for dinner?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 9:07 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I’m not even a fan of casual sex, I was referring to conservative Christian women being sexually frigid by nature.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 9:09 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I’m not even a fan of casual sex, I was referring to conservative Christian women being sexually frigid by nature.

I understood.

They have casual sex like everyone else, they just feel more guilt afterwards. I've known these people. I've had casual sex with those people.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う