Do men dismiss feminism as bad too much?

Page 2 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 5:12 pm

Remember: it only takes one sperm to fertilize an egg........

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 6:54 pm

Just got to pick the right one

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jul 2021, 11:16 pm

I'm a male feminist & my 2nd ex & my current girlfriend were/are both feminists. I'm originally from the bible-belt & I know that feminism is MAJORLY NEEDED there & it's also been rapidly getting more needed nationally as well over the last few years. It's very ironic that I've been labeled a misogynist & similar things by guys MANY times when I would complain about being single & lonely when I support women's rights more than than the guys labeling me did. They would brag about getting laid & they talked about conservative politics that are well known for putting women down & they put down feminism & then those same guys had the audacity to accuse me of being a misogynist :roll: I guess that they were projecting their own $hit onto me to make themselves look good & build themselves up.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 11:51 pm

nick007 wrote:
I They would brag about getting laid & they talked about conservative politics that are well known for putting women down & they put down feminism & then those same guys had the audacity to accuse me of being a misogynist :roll:

A lot of the females who marched for social issues when I was in school had male friends who fitted the description you gave. Apparently you can be a feminist during the day and whore in bed to some alpha male jerk.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 12:47 am

I wasn't a feminist b/c it had a bad reputation. Now I wish I had been b/c I've experienced the long-term impact of socialization on girls (and boys), and it's complete crap. Can we come up with a term that is about people-ism?

It's embarrassing to see how brainwashed I was. It's hard to shake off the conditioning. One of those easier said than done. I wish there were more role models for mutual respect in our communities --- and it was seen as something to aspire to and not ridicule.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 12:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I They would brag about getting laid & they talked about conservative politics that are well known for putting women down & they put down feminism & then those same guys had the audacity to accuse me of being a misogynist :roll:

A lot of the females who marched for social issues when I was in school had male friends who fitted the description you gave. Apparently you can be a feminist during the day and whore in bed to some alpha male jerk.

Yes, one can be a feminist and seek sexual gratification on their own terms without nice guy approval. ;)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 12:56 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's bullcrap to say that women are only attracted to 20% of the men.

Does it mean ALL women are only attracted to 20% of the male population, or that an average woman is likely to only be attracted to around 20% of the men she sees?

If two women are only attracted to 20% of the men they encounter, and they meet both of us, their individual lists of attractive men may vary (I may be in one lady's 20%, you may be in the other's, but not vice-versa).

So, it could be true in an individual sense.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 2:07 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It's bullcrap to say that women are only attracted to 20% of the men.

Does it mean ALL women are only attracted to 20% of the male population, or that an average woman is likely to only be attracted to around 20% of the men she sees?

If two women are only attracted to 20% of the men they encounter, and they meet both of us, their individual lists of attractive men may vary (I may be in one lady's 20%, you may be in the other's, but not vice-versa).

So, it could be true in an individual sense.

I would say that the characteristics that attract typical women are only found in a minority of men. The same goes for the characteristics that attract typical men that are only found in a minority of women. So, if people go purely by what attracts them the most, then we only expect a minority of the population to get paired up. However, people typically will adjust their preferences in order to get a manageable dating pool, and part of this adjustment is that they lower their requirements of what is attractive. When people of both genders adapt to what is possible to require, most people can still get paired even if they still only find a minority of the opposite gender highly attractive.

So, as long as people adapt, there is no problem. However, when women require their partners to earn more than themselves or think they should be entitled to the top attractive men, even if they are not top attractive themselves, then they will be unlikely to find a partner. If many women do this because of feminist attitudes that females are entitled to this, then there will be a bigger problem than just some women remaining unpaired.

Last edited by rdos on 14 Jul 2021, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 2:13 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Yes, one can be a feminist and seek sexual gratification on their own terms without nice guy approval. ;)

Its the "bad boy" thing again. Alphas males tend to be narcissistic wanking pricks and golly gosh do NT girls love to hang around them.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 2:16 am

Why are alpha males thought of as narcissistic though? Alpha male I thought was a guy who doesn't take crap from others, but that doesn't equate to narcisisstic, does it?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 2:18 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Its the "bad boy" thing again. Alphas males tend to be narcissistic wanking pricks and golly gosh do NT girls love to hang around them.

People do tend to prefer exciting, self-assured companionship. I'm not sure being self-assured is synonymous with being a narcissist though.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 2:34 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

People do tend to prefer exciting, self-assured companionship. I'm not sure being self-assured is synonymous with being a narcissist though.

They tend to overlap from what I have seen, successful people enjoy the limelight (even if they pretend they don't).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 2:39 am

ironpony wrote:
Why are alpha males thought of as narcissistic though? Alpha male I thought was a guy who doesn't take crap from others, but that doesn't equate to narcisisstic, does it?

Popularity and narcissism are comfortable bed fellows. I remember girls at school who would stand and give speeches on the importance of taking care of the poor and downtrodden and volunteering working in soup kitchens but then they date guys whose favourite pass-time is being misogynistic to other girls and bullying weaker individuals for fun.

It reminds me of the Alan Parson song "Don't answer me"

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 5:53 pm

Quote:
[However, when women require their partners to earn more than themselves or think they should be entitled to the top attractive men, even if they are not top attractive themselves, then they will be unlikely to find a partner. If many women do this because of feminist attitudes that females are entitled to this, then there will be a bigger problem than just some women remaining unpaired.

I think you do not understand what feminism is!!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 6:28 pm

Quote:
People should not be pressured to conform to a gender-based role. People should have the right to be their own unique individual selves, insofar as they can do so without stepping on the rights of others.

I think this is the most important thing that people should keep in mind. If a woman wants to fight for her country, let her. If a man wants to be a makeup artist or a ballet dancer, let him. I think that people should just let others do what they want. There are people here who disagree with me. That's life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 6:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:
People should not be pressured to conform to a gender-based role. People should have the right to be their own unique individual selves, insofar as they can do so without stepping on the rights of others.

I think this is the most important thing that people should keep in mind. If a woman wants to fight for her country, let her. If a man wants to be a makeup artist or a ballet dancer, let him. I think that people should just let others do what they want. There are people here who disagree with me. That's life.

I think feminism isn't about what men do, its about females doing anything a man can and getting the same pay

I actually lost a job in 2007 with a consultancy where the female staff were offended when I tried to say that women can't perform the same as men in ground infantry. In retrospect I should have kept my mouth shut.