Here's a tip for your online profile...

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 10:06 am

... do NOT advertise a physical preference, unless you ONLY want to date people who have that characteristic!

Examples:

"I think Asian women are the sexiest, but I'm happy to meet all kinds of girls."

"There's just something about girls with brown eyes, they're so fascinating, but that doesn't mean I don't like blue or green eyes!"

"I've got a real thing for brunettes, but I also like blondes and redheads."

After seeing this kind of thing for the umpteenth time in the profile of a guy who contacted me online, I thought I'd warn everyone away from doing it. It is a MAJOR turn-off to be contacted, to check the profile, and to find out he'd really prefer someone with a characteristic you DO NOT HAVE -- but that he's willing to SETTLE for you!

I'm a white, green-eyed redhead, so why on EARTH would I respond to a guy whose profile tells me and the world he prefers Asians, black girls, or blue-eyed blondes?? WHY EVEN BOTHER TO CONTACT ME, IDIOT??

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 10:20 am

Good point I seem to prefer brunettes and other shades rather than platinum blondes but I wouldn't put that in there.

Don't you have a b/f?

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 10:23 am

No, no boyfriend. You may have seen me mention dating somebody, but we are not exclusive yet.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 10:28 am

got ya

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 3:47 pm

Stop using these useless dating sites.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 3:52 pm

"I'm a white, green-eyed redhead"

<sigh> and I'm a guy with a weakness for redheads.

Ed Almos

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 6:42 pm

I can imagine this being a real put-off and I agree that in some ways it is insulting.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 7:38 pm

Rakathan wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if a lot of aspies seem to like redheads for some reason.

Maybe it's because aspies are smart and redheads rule? :wink:

Wiki on redheads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair

Well, I'd stay and debate the value of those "useless" dating sites, but I've got to go get ready for a date with a guy I met on one. :P

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 8:31 pm

juliekitty wrote:

Well, I'd stay and debate the value of those "useless" dating sites, but I've got to go get ready for a date with a guy I met on one. :P

At least you probably get flowers.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 8:31 pm

juliekitty wrote:
Rakathan wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if a lot of aspies seem to like redheads for some reason.

Maybe it's because aspies are smart and redheads rule? :wink:

Wiki on redheads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair/quote]

Does it count if a girl's dyed her hair crimson? I don't know if that counts as "redhead," per say because redheads have natural orange hair (which I'm not terribly into).

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 2:24 pm

Count in what sense? She'd technically have "red" hair, but yeah, the classic red colour is really orange or orange-brown. And unless you're born with it you wouldn't have the genetic markers, obviously.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 2:25 pm

Here we go again!

dipstick wrote:
I am looking for my true love. I find asian [chinese] women the most beautiful in the world, but so long as we are both happy - who cares what nationality?

Um -- clearly YOU do! Idiot!

Bightme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Sep 2007, 3:28 pm

juliekitty wrote:
... do NOT advertise a physical preference, unless you ONLY want to date people who have that characteristic!

Examples:

"I think Asian women are the sexiest, but I'm happy to meet all kinds of girls."

"There's just something about girls with brown eyes, they're so fascinating, but that doesn't mean I don't like blue or green eyes!"

"I've got a real thing for brunettes, but I also like blondes and redheads."

After seeing this kind of thing for the umpteenth time in the profile of a guy who contacted me online, I thought I'd warn everyone away from doing it. It is a MAJOR turn-off to be contacted, to check the profile, and to find out he'd really prefer someone with a characteristic you DO NOT HAVE -- but that he's willing to SETTLE for you!

I'm a white, green-eyed redhead, so why on EARTH would I respond to a guy whose profile tells me and the world he prefers Asians, black girls, or blue-eyed blondes?? WHY EVEN BOTHER TO CONTACT ME, IDIOT??

I'm not sure of the situation, but I would be tempted to say not to take much notice of what colour eyes/hair etc a person states they prefer in their profile; it may just be a way of filing up some space on their page when they can't think of anything better to write; regardless, I'm sure if through direct communication you discovered you liked each other on a deeper level, such issues would quickly disappear. I would guess that most people who go in for online dating/matchmaking are a bit more discerning than the stereotypical jock, that (for example) might walk into a bar looking to pick up a girl with a certain look, and cares little about anything else. :)

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 3:34 pm

Why you are so jealous of asian girls?

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 3:36 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Why you are so jealous of asian girls?
:P