Page 11 of 16 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 11:56 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:
Good sex is a priority of mine. I’ve never had it.

Make Love, Not War right?

Exactly! :P

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:27 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
This video is an example of how bad things were for women, blacks and people with mental disorders back in the 1950s.

I thought it was amusing that white parents in the 1950s were fearful that their children would be drawn to black guitar/rock music would result in race mixing :lol:

Some irony there that heavy metal music is almost 100% white today

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2022, 6:15 pm

There isn't a "men's section" or board on the site. This is the "Love & Dating" board. You seem confused.

AquaineBay wrote:
Also here is a funny bit of info. Everyone complained about the womens' section that I put
there(some calling it archaic and oppressive) but, NO ONE said anything about the mens' section whatsoever.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:26 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Quote:
If you plan to be a stay at home mom(which a lot of men are looking for if they were being honest) it does no good to have one if you can't do anything with it(due to staying at home).

College can help one become a more well-rounded, interesting person. Getting an education does do good.

I doubt that most men “are looking for” wives who stay at home. At best, it seems silly and arbitrary. It doesn’t matter. If a guy is actively seeking that, he may want to readjust his priorities and ease up on the control because if women want satisfying careers that’s their business. Also, a woman could always change her mind after being at home for a spell and join the workforce. It’s best for men not to get too attached to those archaic values.

Quote:
If that's the case I will keep it fair, if men still have to adhere to the expectations of the 1950s then shouldn't women have to do that as well?
No one has said that men HAVE to adhere to those expectations. ALSO, your message to men was not as extreme or problematic so it’s not a reasonable or fair comparison (logical fallacy).

Quote:
Also I don't usually call people out but Fnord for the mens' advice section of this post did you not say these same exact things to the guys that were "complaining" about not getting a date(not in the same way but, the implication pretty much was this) and backing others saying the same thing and now are backpedaling on all those posts and telling me to give the 1950s their attitude back? If you want it back then you can take it but, keep that same energy when giving women advice about dating.
Once again, it’s not an equal comparison. You are also employing ad hominem (logical fallacy).

I'm guessing you don't go to mens spaces much because if you did you would know that "stay at home moms" is pretty much what they are looking for. I'm not going to argue the college thing because I know everybody has a "Halo Effect" when it comes to college so anything I say will just go in one ear and out the other. Also I don't think logical fallacy means what you think it does nor does ad hominem.

Why do you assume that the message I said to men isn't extreme or problematic? I know of men, that I listened to, spoke to, and posts read on this very forum, where that kind of thinking in the 1950s for men was extreme and problematic for them(I would be one of them). The difference is, we as men can't talk about the expectations from what women and society want from us but, if you or any other woman talk about their issues with society and men expectations from yourselves it seems perfectly okay. Men and women aren't the same so of course the message would be different which means we also look for different things when it comes to relationships and marriage. Also those same men that don't follow the things I listed were usually bullied in school so it may not be extreme and problematic to YOU but it is to us.

Ad hominem is attacking someone's character as a way to discredit or undermine their argument. Fnord did not make an argument he just made a passive-aggressive remark towards my post in which I then told him of the very same things that he said(and the people he was supporting) to other posters who were run off by the same "logical fallacies". I was holding him accountable not attacking him.

But you know what, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. What advice would you and any of the people that disagree with what I said give to the men and women of today when it comes to looks, dating, and marriage? I better not hear "Be yourself" because this forum entirety wouldn't exist at all if that was true.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:42 pm

You were employing a type of ad hominem attack called “tu quoque.”

It’s: “a retort charging an adversary with being or doing what the adversary criticizes in others.”

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tu%20quoque

Instead, you could’ve addressed why you don’t think that your advice was based in the 50s or why you think that advice from the 50s should be followed, not that most would find it too convincing.

Anyway, there is plenty of decent advice in L&D if you are interested in looking for it. Maybe I’ll add a couple of links if I feel like it later although it would probably be a waste of time.

People did not have as much of a problem with your advice towards men than women because, in general, the advice directed at men was good and it could work for either gender.

Your advice for women was blatantly sexist.

Most men that I’ve known were happy about their wives working because a second income was needed or, at least, helpful. Maybe I will start a poll to get the opinion of men on WP. I may not know ALL men, but you don’t either.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 06 Aug 2022, 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:50 pm

What happened to you, Aquaine?

You never spoke in these terms previously. You were just a regular guy who gave regular advice.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 06 Aug 2022, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

You never spoke in these terms previously. You were just a regular guy.

Maybe a breakup.

What do you think about wives working outside the home KK?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:57 pm

I believe we’ve moved beyond that 50 years ago.

My mother started going back to school while she stayed home and took care of my brother and I. Then, when I was about 9, she started working as a secretary while continuing to go to school. When I was 15, she got her bachelor’s. Then, five years later, she got her MSW.

My father was against all this—but she succeeded, anyway.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe we’ve moved beyond that 50 years ago.

My mother started going back to school while she stayed home and took care of my brother and I. Then, when I was about 9, she started working as a secretary while continuing to go to school. When I was 15, she got her bachelor’s. Then, five years later, she got her MSW.

My father was against all this—but she succeeded, anyway.

If I’m not mistaken, your wife has a career, too, right?

Does that bother you?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 7:59 pm

My dad liked that my mom worked. She made better money than he did.

My sister-in-law works and my brother likes it.

Sure, all of this is anecdotal evidence, but I think that when you really love someone you would want them to do what will make them happy.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 06 Aug 2022, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 8:00 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

You never spoke in these terms previously. You were just a regular guy.

Maybe a breakup.

What do you think about wives working outside the home KK?

That's what I'm thinking. There are some men who get like that after a breakup.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 8:55 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Quote:
If you plan to be a stay at home mom(which a lot of men are looking for if they were being honest) it does no good to have one if you can't do anything with it(due to staying at home).

College can help one become a more well-rounded, interesting person. Getting an education does do good.

I doubt that most men “are looking for” wives who stay at home. At best, it seems silly and arbitrary. It doesn’t matter. If a guy is actively seeking that, he may want to readjust his priorities and ease up on the control because if women want satisfying careers that’s their business. Also, a woman could always change her mind after being at home for a spell and join the workforce. It’s best for men not to get too attached to those archaic values.

Quote:
If that's the case I will keep it fair, if men still have to adhere to the expectations of the 1950s then shouldn't women have to do that as well?
No one has said that men HAVE to adhere to those expectations. ALSO, your message to men was not as extreme or problematic so it’s not a reasonable or fair comparison (logical fallacy).

Quote:
Also I don't usually call people out but Fnord for the mens' advice section of this post did you not say these same exact things to the guys that were "complaining" about not getting a date(not in the same way but, the implication pretty much was this) and backing others saying the same thing and now are backpedaling on all those posts and telling me to give the 1950s their attitude back? If you want it back then you can take it but, keep that same energy when giving women advice about dating.
Once again, it’s not an equal comparison. You are also employing ad hominem (logical fallacy).

I'm guessing you don't go to mens spaces much because if you did you would know that "stay at home moms" is pretty much what they are looking for. I'm not going to argue the college thing because I know everybody has a "Halo Effect" when it comes to college so anything I say will just go in one ear and out the other. Also I don't think logical fallacy means what you think it does nor does ad hominem.

Why do you assume that the message I said to men isn't extreme or problematic? I know of men, that I listened to, spoke to, and posts read on this very forum, where that kind of thinking in the 1950s for men was extreme and problematic for them(I would be one of them). The difference is, we as men can't talk about the expectations from what women and society want from us but, if you or any other woman talk about their issues with society and men expectations from yourselves it seems perfectly okay. Men and women aren't the same so of course the message would be different which means we also look for different things when it comes to relationships and marriage. Also those same men that don't follow the things I listed were usually bullied in school so it may not be extreme and problematic to YOU but it is to us.

Ad hominem is attacking someone's character as a way to discredit or undermine their argument. Fnord did not make an argument he just made a passive-aggressive remark towards my post in which I then told him of the very same things that he said(and the people he was supporting) to other posters who were run off by the same "logical fallacies". I was holding him accountable not attacking him.

But you know what, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. What advice would you and any of the people that disagree with what I said give to the men and women of today when it comes to looks, dating, and marriage? I better not hear "Be yourself" because this forum entirety wouldn't exist at all if that was true.

You mean mosques?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 8:58 pm

Where_am_I wrote:
You mean mosques?

:lmao: :wtg:

There are also fundamentalist Christian churches and incel groups.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 9:57 pm

Anecdotal evidence sometimes isn’t bad evidence.

The results of social science studies about dating often is erroneous, despite the use of supposedly logical and scientific methods.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 10:02 pm

Even in the depths of the Victorian Era, women often made good. Many ran households like men run corporations.

This despite the efforts of asinine men to keep women down.

The proof is in the pudding.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 10:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Even in the depths of the Victorian Era, women often made good. Many ran households like men run corporations.

This despite the efforts of asinine men to keep women down.

The proof is in the pudding.

This is about what men currently want in a partner.

Would looking for a stay at home wife be a priority to you or not since your wife works?