Guys to overprotective of there girlfriends?

Page 6 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:08 am

Nades wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
The girl was in her early 20s I think or maybe 19. One of my friends who is 67 was trying to chat her up beforehand but she quickly walked away.
yeah that doesn't surprise me. Is he one of those autistic friends you mention?

I am not sure if he has got autism? He’s got a full time job and is very chatty/sociable on nights out.

Here’s a quote from Aspergers survival guide
“Be careful with your gaze (unless of course you are talking with someone). If you look at someone for too long they will probably notice you out of the corner of their eye. This may cause them discomfort. They might then tell their friends about it and become secretively unfriendly towards you. This is especially true about men staring at women”

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 7:02 am

Jamesy wrote:
Nades wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
The girl was in her early 20s I think or maybe 19. One of my friends who is 67 was trying to chat her up beforehand but she quickly walked away.
yeah that doesn't surprise me. Is he one of those autistic friends you mention?

I am not sure if he has got autism? He’s got a full time job and is very chatty/sociable on nights out.

Here’s a quote from Aspergers survival guide
“Be careful with your gaze (unless of course you are talking with someone). If you look at someone for too long they will probably notice you out of the corner of their eye. This may cause them discomfort. They might then tell their friends about it and become secretively unfriendly towards you. This is especially true about men staring at women”

Sounds like he takes chances knowing full well they're futile.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 7:43 am

Nades wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Well the I guess your right.

For the time being, avoid staring at women, avoid flirting with those who are on dates, avoid harassing women with lots of text messages that aren’t responded to, and avoid going to bars where your uninhibited behavior may be an issue. Binge drinking isn’t good for you anyway.

Since when did "I have tried texting her but she has not responded to my messages" translates to harassment? I take it you know the content and frequency of these messages?

This situation involved multiple texts over a couple of days. It’s just a piece of an overall concerning pattern of behavior.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 7:52 am

A 'concerning pattern of behaviour' sounds like someone who is planning on doing something actually malicious,illegal or actual harassment.

What jamesy has posted is simply no worse than any else in a pub, and is obviously innocent stuff influenced by autism.

To actually begin a relationship with a woman jamesy would have to stand there and wait for them to talk to him for it not to be harassment :) or have really good social skills where he is not rejected. This is simply a young man trying out certain things , they don't work, then trying something else.

From what I remmeber he stared at a girl, she made a disparaging comment, had a chat with someone else's girlfriend and texted a girl once possibly twice.

When you say 'a concerning pattern of behaviour' what exactly is the concern?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 7:56 am

klanka wrote:

He’s making women uncomfortable with his behavior. That’s concerning!

It may signify that he needs to adjust his attitude (and behavior) towards women.

He wouldn’t be the only one, either.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 7:59 am

Quote:
From what I remmeber he stared at a girl, she made a disparaging comment, had a chat with someone else's girlfriend and texted a girl once possibly twice.

Reread the thread.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:01 am

Why do you think I stopped going to bars?

Bars are places where you might not meet the nicest people. And you might meet these people when they are not in their greatest mental state.

And they might turn something really insignificant into something significant. Which could get you hurt.

I surely hope James didn't talk to a woman he knew was out on a date with another guy.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:02 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Nades wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Well the I guess your right.

For the time being, avoid staring at women, avoid flirting with those who are on dates, avoid harassing women with lots of text messages that aren’t responded to, and avoid going to bars where your uninhibited behavior may be an issue. Binge drinking isn’t good for you anyway.

Since when did "I have tried texting her but she has not responded to my messages" translates to harassment? I take it you know the content and frequency of these messages?

This situation involved multiple texts over a couple of days. It’s just a piece of an overall concerning pattern of behavior.

Well yeah. Multiple texts will be spread out over a couple of days. If a text if mine goes unanswered I usually wait a day or two before sending another as a reminder.

Any actual numbers though? What specifically happened to assume he harassed her via text? He said she was a childhood friend afterall so it implies he's on good terms to an extent.

Last edited by Nades on 08 Aug 2022, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:03 am

klanka wrote:
A 'concerning pattern of behaviour' sounds like someone who is planning on doing something actually malicious,illegal or actual harassment.

What jamesy has posted is simply no worse than any else in a pub, and is obviously innocent stuff influenced by autism.

To actually begin a relationship with a woman jamesy would have to stand there and wait for them to talk to him for it not to be harassment :) or have really good social skills where he is not rejected. This is simply a young man trying out certain things , they don't work, then trying something else.

I brought the same issues up several pages ago too.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:06 am

Bars are also places that one can get kicked of and thoroughly misbehave in oneself. Other people may be less of a problem than one might think.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:08 am

Just like "retail" isn't really a good place for an Aspie to work, bars aren't exactly a good place for Aspies to attempt to find love.

Square peg, round hole.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just like "retail" isn't really a good place for an Aspie to work, bars aren't exactly a good place for Aspies to attempt to find love.

Square peg, round hole.

Getting drunk and misbehaving in bars doesn’t have much to much to do with autism IMO.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:13 am

It would probably be worse for an Aspe to get drunk than it would be for a "normal" person to get drunk.

The "misbehaving" part while drunk is part and parcel of many people who get drunk.

Even when I went into bars back in the early 80s, I didn't drink. Except sodas.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It would probably be worse for an Aspe to get drunk than it would be for a "normal" person to get drunk.

The "misbehaving" part while drunk is part and parcel of many people who get drunk.

Even when I went into bars back in the early 80s, I didn't drink. Except sodas.

I don’t misbehave when I’ve been drinking and I’m an Aspie, but everyone is different, I suppose.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:19 am

OK I re-read the thread and apparently this staring incident was 8 years ago, so he is the kind of person who makes a mistake and learns from it.

If I'm missing something please could you write what it is.

'making women uncomfortable' is the effect but you have to look at the motive or reason it's happening.

If jamesy were going into a bar and doing it on purpose that would be cause for concern. The fact that it's happened like three times in 8 years(?) and was due to misunderstanding is not cause for any concern.

In a courtroom they always look for motive. If i were to break a man's arm, the court would ask why i did it. If i said i made a mistake they would charge me with something like endangerment or negligence or just let me off, if they worked out i did it on purpose i'd get 'grevious bodily harm' which would carry a harsh sentence.

Last edited by klanka on 08 Aug 2022, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:22 am

klanka wrote:
OK I re-read the thread and apparently this staring incident was 8 years ago, so he is the kind of person who makes a mistake and learns from it.

If I'm missing something please just write what it is.

'making women uncomfortable' is the effect but you have to look at the motive or reason it's happening.

If jamesy were going into a bar and doing it on purpose that would be cause for concern. The fact that it's happened like three times in 8 years(?) and was due to misunderstanding is not cause for any concern.

Most of the time, women wouldn’t speak out about it, so if one has a couple times, it’s probably happened much more than that.

And once again, it’s about an overall pattern of behavior.