Can anti-age gap people afford to be so picky in dating?

Page 7 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Nov 2022, 4:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
^I'll be turning 62 in about 1 1/2 months. You're not even close to being old! Or even middle-aged!
You are doing really well :D Perhaps I feel old in the wrong ways & feel young in the wrong ways

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 4:06 pm

nick007 wrote:
Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
Yes, even with same-age couples it often happens that one person will become infirm / incapacitated first, with the other left relatively vigorous. I once know another couple with an age difference of over 30 years. The much younger wife died of cancer and the older husband was left alone. Life is uncertain and unpredictable.

But regardless of all that, we love who we love, regardless of age, race, sex, nationality, or any other limitations. True love and compatibility is rare enough that I'm not going to criticize anyone for their choices.
Your right.
I do think that if I was in a romantic relationship with someone who was a lot younger than me & in relatively good health, I would try a lot harder to take better care of myself & become more independent. I would want to be around longer & be able to be there for her more. I feel I let myself go being in a relationship with someone who's my age & also has various health issues. Maybe some of it is due to various stressors of life or I subconsciously want to make sure I die before her. I am turning 40 in less than a week so perhaps this is what a midlife crises is like :shrug:

I just turned 40. The person I'm seeing turned 23 in June. I'm relatively healthy & fit for my age, but admittedly have been lazy for a few months so need to get back to regular workouts/cardio and lose the beer gut.

In the very grand scheme of things, I'm going to keep fit and healthy for myself so I can live as long as possible while being a capable human vs. sickly or weak.

If I were to stay in a relationship with this person very long term, chances are I will die decades before them. And if so and that's my time, it is what it is. Maybe they'd get lucky and inherit enough wealth to keep them stable and comfortable, financially speaking, anyways. And maybe I'll make mistakes and die poor or in debt. It's not my goal to die wealthy, though.. seems silly to work, save, invest all to not spend it and simply create multi-generational wealth if you have dependants/children/younger family members to leave it to.

Or maybe I live longer than them - life can be random like that. Or maybe we don't stay together long enough to find out.

Overall I see little point in stressing too much about longevity and such in an age gap relationship. Sure, make a plan A and B if you like, but there's no point in assuming we know how things are going to work out because none of us have any idea how life might change.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 1:19 pm

The biggest thing to worry about is when people get older. If there is a 15 or 20 year gap, a pensioner at the age of 67 or so might be dating someone of 50 who is a young 50 & that can be an issue in terms of shared social activities for some people.

It is really what people make of it though. Some people get along fine with an age gap and with other couples it can cause issues.