Are Autistics Less Attractive Compared To Neurotypicals?

Page 3 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you believe that people with autism are less attractive (on average) compared to neurotypicals?
Yes, people with autism are less attractive. 30%  30%  [ 14 ]
Yes, but only because attractive people are less likely to be diagnosed. 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
No 59%  59%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 46

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 3:15 am

RiverLad wrote:
Where_am_I wrote:
Number two is utter BS.

Yes! I also liked your comment on the rcst interracial dating thread but it was locked so… :star: :star: :star: :star:

Thanks! And welcome to WP!

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 5:14 am

Muse933277 wrote:
A lot of the diagnosed women iv'e met with autism are unattractive.

A few of them were very overweight which significantly lowers a woman's attractiveness level.

One was fairly masculine looking, cut her hair short like a boy's, and just didn't have too much of a feminine appearance. She wasn't ugly but not attractive either.

One girl on the autism spectrum I met smoked too much and wasn't that good looking either. She also had a s**t personality.

I have never met a conventionally attractive woman with autism before.

I noticed both men and women with autism seem to look a bit rough most of the times, either being underweight or overweight and often unkempt. Of the autisitc men and women I've met, men seemed to vary more with their weight being under or overweight and all the women I've met so far have been obese but I've only met about 6 that I know are autistic.

I used to be underweight for most of my life and only recently hit the workouts and gained over two stone. I also used to sport a neck beard which I've started to counter a few years ago. A trim and shaping of it makes it look half decent.

A lot of guys just look like the classic basement dweller though. It doesn't take much to make them look a lot better which is the worst part about it.

The women I've met so far seem to lean towards obesity to morbid obesity , bad clothes and weird hairstyles.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 7:08 am

I'm a tomboy and don't wear much make-up and I'm not very good at making styles with my hair even when watching YouTube tutorials. I have long hair but I put it up in a clip when I'm at work.
I work at a bus garage with mostly guys, which I don't mind.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Dec 2022, 8:25 am

I remember reading about some studies related to autisim & gender orientation. The results showed that a much hgher percentage of autistic women are trangendered or feel they were born the wrong gender than autistic guys who do. It's important to note that the studies had a small amount of participents thou. One theory about autisim is that it's an extreme male brain. It would make sense to me that some autistic women are coventionally more physically unattractive due to them dressing & looking more masculine.

My 2nd girfriend was on the spectrum & she kinda wished she was a man. She didn't want to transion thou due her parents & area where she lived being very intolerant. She dressed like a tomboy. She was overweight but started changing her diet after realizing that her body didn't handle certain foods well & digestion issues made some of her autism issues worse. She started losing weight after changing her diet.

My current gf is on the spectrum or has lots of overlapping issues. She's masculine in some ways & femnline in others & her dress style is kinda a mix. She's overweight but a lot of it is due to various physical & mental issues she's dealing with. She has pain & is an emotinal eater.

As for myself. I do not conform to the male stereotype & I've had phases where I've majorly questioned my gender but some of it was due to my OCD. I hit puberty early but I was never very physically strong or had much mussles even when I was working long hours two years straight doing custodial type things. I was very skinny as a kid till I was 30 due to being a very picky eater who could not cook & mom hated cooking special meals for me so I usually just ate one big meal a day & only a few snacks otherwise. I've gained a lot of weight in the last 10 years due to needing to eat 3 meals a day cuz of meds & med side-effects. I want to binge-eat 1ce I start eating till it's all gone cuz I'm so used to eating a lot when I do eat. I've lost a little weight this year cuz I'm trying to buy less snacks(cant really aford to buy em thanx to inflation rising much more rapidly than gov benefits do), I'm tr starting to try exercising more, & a med change is helping as well. I look a bit more masculine in some ways since I started losing my head hair in my mid 20s. I am doing some things to try & stop male-pattern baldness & the meds cause me to look more feminine in other ways cuz they reduce my body & facial hair growth. I like having less body & facial hair growth & there's also another reason I'm on those meds.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 8:32 am

In truth, not everybody is "totally" masculine, or "totally" feminine.

I consider myself 100% male. I like sports----but I don't like some "manly" pursuits like carpentry or trying to "pick up girls." And I like some "feminine" pursuits like poetry and contemplating Nature.

There is a problem, these days, in that people feel they have to be 100% masculine, with no feminine characteristics, in order to be a "full man," and vice versa for the women.

In the old days, there were the gender stereotypes, of course. But many people did have a healthy notion that most pursuits are "people" pursuits, rather than being "masculine" or "feminine."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 9:48 am

Quote:
I remember reading about some studies related to autisim & gender orientation. The results showed that a much hgher percentage of autistic women are trangendered or feel they were born the wrong gender than autistic guys who do

I'm still a woman, I don't consider myself transgender but I don't conform to female gender standards much. But I'm female because of my...female genitalia. So I just go by that.
I emphasised that I'm female in my signature and avatar because of my username that I so stupidly chose, I kept getting members thinking I'm a guy and giving me answers/advice what you'd give to a guy, like a few years ago when I was discussing here if it was OK to be friends with a teenage girl people here thought I was a guy secretly wanting sex with a younger girl or something.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 9:59 am

Nades wrote:

I noticed both men and women with autism seem to look a bit rough most of the times, either being underweight or overweight and often unkempt.

Iv'e noticed that too. And I think that comes down to people with autism are more likely to dislike exercise and to not understand how to make themselves look good.

If you're a typical NT guy, you're likely concerned with your clothes selection and your haircut, and also exercising, because you want to attract a mate. You're horny. But for many aspie guys, not all of them, they're not as concerned about looking good. And I think that's one reason why autistic men are less attractive on average.

It's not that autistic men are truly uglier, it's just that they are more likely to neglect their appearance.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 10:15 am

I'm just too lazy to fuss too much over my appearance but I always try to look presentable. I do often forget to check my face in the mirror though.

When I get married I do want a professional makeover and be as beautiful as possible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 10:18 am

There is the fact, too, that many autistic people happen to be physically attractive as well.

We have photos here of beautiful autistic women, and handsome autistic men.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Dec 2022, 10:18 am

I know how to look good but I downplay my attractivity on purpose.
First, I like people to listen to what I'm saying, not to stare at my neckline.
Second, when I was looking like a pretty lady, people were very easily offended when I didn't act up to their expectations about a pretty lady. But when I look like a classic nerd, random people show way more tolerance to my quirks.
And, third, I can use the saved time and energy to do other things.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 10:41 am

I was cute as a child. I would post a picture but I don't want to give away my identity here. I could PM but only to those who don't live in the UK (please do not take personally :) ).

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 12:18 pm

Just saw a joke about this subject by an autistic comedian

James Stanley Autism and Looks

Choronzon
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2022, 2:34 pm

Muse933277 wrote:
A lot of the diagnosed women iv'e met with autism are unattractive.

A few of them were very overweight which significantly lowers a woman's attractiveness level.

One girl on the autism spectrum I met smoked too much and wasn't that good looking either. She also had a s**t personality.

I have never met a conventionally attractive woman with autism before.

Yeah i noticed that too.

When i was diagnosed at 32 i was given some leaflet to voluntary attend some monthly meetup group for aspergers that were struggling to meet people... and potential possible love interests.

I turned up to this Refectory building and there were 26 men and 12 women.

10 of the women were full up Obese, most had dyed green/purple hair and masculine-mannerisms. 2 were normal weight and average looking, one of which had short hair and tattoos.

All but 4 of the 26 men were orbiting the 2 healthy women. They were being chatted to far more than the fat women.
Only 6 of the guys looked obese.

I knew with such intra-male competition it is not good to look for a potential girlfriend. In fat countries like mine (UK) we do have such problems i suppose (i'm a fitness/cycling/strava guy).

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2022, 2:57 pm

Minder wrote:
Muse933277 wrote:
DanielW wrote:
None of your arguments are very strong, and attractiveness is subjective.

Attractiveness is mostly objective, not subjective.

Everyone agrees that Danny Devito is less attractive then Henry Cavill.

Attractiveness is subjective, but only to a certain extent. For example, some people might consider Scarlett Johansson to be an 9, while others might think she's only a 7, but almost everyone would agree that she is considered conventionally attractive. Nobody in their right mind would consider her ugly.

If attractiveness is mostly subjective, then why are most male models 6 ft tall, fit, and broad-shouldered? If attractiveness were subjective, then we would see short overweight neckbeards as male models, but we don't.

There have been a lot of actors who were on the shorter side and considered sex symbols. Tom Cruise is 5'7. Taylor Lautner isn't as popular these days, but he was very popular ten years ago or so and he's 5'8. Not that short but definitely not tall. Both were sex symbols in their time.

There are also a lot of cultural variants. At points in history, heavier bodies were considered attractive because they were a sign of wealth. As for "neckbeards", most of the examples I've seen look rather unkempt. This is off-putting, because it indicates poor health and self-care.

It is true, however, that you will be less attractive if you don't take good care of yourself. This can be harder if you're neurodivergent and don't necessarily pay attention to such things. I have ADHD, which I think made it trickier for me to shave since I kept missing patches. This made me look unkempt. My girlfriend pointed this out to me, and I now do a better job of it (I also shave more regularly, which makes it easier).

Interestingly enough, I've seen photos of Danny DeVito as a young man and he was rather handsome. He does have Fairbank's Disease, a bone disorder, which is why he's short. Being shorter does make it harder for men, though DeVito is a rather extreme example.

The objective metrics of attractiveness are facial symmetry and health. Everything else is subjective, though culture wields considerable influence on what we perceive as attractive.

Obviously people are flat on the television screen and their height varies from screen to screen. It also depends on if they are in the foreground or the background.

I’m just making an obvious point. It is not like you can accurately gauge height watching television like in real life.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Dec 2022, 6:42 am

Choronzon wrote:
All but 4 of the 26 men were orbiting the 2 healthy women.
That's another reason why I downplay my attractivity :lol:

Imagine all this from a point of view of an introvert woman who quickly gets exhausted with social life... if you are healthy weight and don't like tatoos - short hair, oversized clothes and "masculine mannerisms" are the very way to survive.

On the other hand, I can easily understand why obese women often don't want to date at all. You speak about rejection and blows to self-esteem?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Dec 2022, 8:05 am

I think autistics tend to look rougher due to us tending to lead rougher lives. We tend to get bullied physically growing up. Medical professionals don't always take us seriously. We sometimes self-harm. We sometimes take psych meds to help manage some of our comorbids(like anxiety, OCD, depression, stress, irritability) that have side-effects like weight gain or other health issues. We can have problems sleeping due to stress & our mental comorbids. We may struggle with addictions like alcohol, smoking, drugs, & eating unhealthy food. We can have problems finding &/or maintaining gainful employment & we may need to work very long hours doing manual labor for $hit pay. Our living situations may not be healthy physically or mentally due to poverty or us not being able to take care of ourselves well or manage things well in our lives. I know I'm being a downer here & it's important to note that things are not this bad for lots of us but in general these things tend to be worse for autistics than NTs if things are not broken down into any subgroups.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition