Marriage rates among people with disability

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 9:14 am

Not a very new stats, but I don't believe it changed much.

Yes, these numbers are not percentages, they're plain numbers per 1000 mariages, the numbers are very very low.

Quote:
Faculty associate Philip Cohen finds that while the overall first-marriage rate for people between ages 18 and 49 in the United States is 48.9 per 1000, it is 24.4 per 1000 for people with disabilities.

Is AS/Autism a disability? It depends on its severity, but yes it can be so.

Does that mean that people with disability/ies are less likely to get dates and relationships even outside the marriage concept? Most likely yes, less chance of dating => less likely to get married. Actually the numbers of "never been in any relationship" may be much lower even; those who get married could be a success bias figure.

https://thesocietypages.org/ccf/2014/11 ... a-edition/

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 9:52 am

Hardly anyone gets married these days so I'd like to see the chart include those who have elong term partner within the last three years.

I would put autism on the same level as the cognitive disability, or even more severe. If I had to guess.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 10:09 pm

I want a boyfriend someday,but marriage, I don’t think so. Nothing wrong with living with your boyfriend.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Mar 2023, 4:13 pm

klanka wrote:
Hardly anyone gets married these days so I'd like to see the chart include those who have elong term partner within the last three years.
I'm not sure how things are in other countries but I think in the US the percent of disabled people in serious long-term relationships are higher for living together unmarried compared to non-disabled in serious long term-relationships due to benefits/assistance programs like SSI being based on you & your spouse's income. Me & my girlfriend are both disabled & living together unmarried because she's on SSI, housing assistance & food stamps(SNAP), whereas I'm on Social Security Disability & if we get married her benefits would be reduced. The amount of income SSI allows if your married is only 50% more than what an individual on SSI would get. Since my Social Security Disability is a little more than Cass's SSI, if we got married her SSI would be reduced by a little more than half. A married couple should be allowed double instead of only half more just because they are married. Weather your living with a friend your not involved with romantically nor sexually or living with your spouse, your household expenses would be the same except for taxes but that's not really relevant here because the friend would not be paying taxes if they're also disabled & on benefits instead of working. Also Social Security Disability would allow me to work a little part time & not penalize me & I want to work a little to have some extra money coming in & if me & Cass were married when I get a part-time job, she would probably lose all her SSI so there would be no incentive for me to work at all if we were married. No reason to work if our financial situation would be about the same either way.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 4:18 pm

I wonder if they're considering "disability" to mean the person is collecting disability insurance and unable to work full-time?

Sorry if you've already clarified that but I didn't see it explained anywhere.

Some autistic people work and are self-sufficient (relatively speaking), but others aren't.
It makes sense that people who aren't working and have enough needs for insurance support might not be able to sustain independent living with a partner (as is generally seen in marriage, but not always of course.)

Also, what Nick said about benefits. Sweetleaf has said the same. She can't get married or she'll lose benefits.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 10:05 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I wonder if they're considering "disability" to mean the person is collecting disability insurance and unable to work full-time?

Sorry if you've already clarified that but I didn't see it explained anywhere.

Some autistic people work and are self-sufficient (relatively speaking), but others aren't.
It makes sense that people who aren't working and have enough needs for insurance support might not be able to sustain independent living with a partner (as is generally seen in marriage, but not always of course.)

Also, what Nick said about benefits. Sweetleaf has said the same. She can't get married or she'll lose benefits.

Ya I am in the same boat.I cant ever get married or I would lose all my benefits.I figure I would get married anyways and lose all my benefits if I find someone to marry regardless.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 6:29 am

Before Obamacare private health insurance companies in the US were allowed to deny & overcharge applicants for pre-existing conditions. In some areas government insurace programs for disabled people like Medicaid were not accepted by most healthcare providers. As a result a bit of disabled people got married partly so they could get on their spouce's health insurance plan. These days there's probably less disabled people in the US wanting or needing to marry for that reason since private health insurance should be more affordable for pre-exsiting conditions.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 7:20 am

People with disabilities are generally receiving disability benefits, If they marry, they lose that, they can't even cohabitate.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 7:34 pm

I’m confused, people on SSI can’t get married or when one person is working & the other person is on SSI, they will lose their SSI if they marry?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 7:36 pm

DanielW wrote:
People with disabilities are generally receiving disability benefits, If they marry, they lose that, they can't even cohabitate.

Nick is living with his girlfriend.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 12:11 am

That is truly depressing statistics!

I have a disability and want to get married eventually but maybe THIS is what Anita was talking about when she said I may never get married

Because of the Autism

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 5:13 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
DanielW wrote:

Nick is living with his girlfriend.
Correct & Sweetleaf is living with her boyfriend as Isabella sorta mentioned.

Daniel, I think your confused about Disability & SSI. Disability is only based off your income & how much you paid into the system from working so you can be married without disability being affected. Whereas SSI is more of a poverty program & if someone on SSI is married it's expected that their partner would share their money with the disabled partner. But if someone on SSI is cohabitating or living with family or friends, it's expected that the disabled person would be paying a certian amount towards household expenses.

Also while SSI benefits would not be affected by cohabitation, other types of benefits could. Cass found a way around that by having me classified as her caretaker/live-in-aid. Her psych signed a form because Cass lived alone for a year & had major problems handling it due to anxiety & depression. She woulda moved back in with her parrents if she didn't get in a relationship with me. If I was working Cass wouldn't want me working at night & would not want me working all day. That could limit my avilability if I was searching for a job.

This stuff is all very overly complicated & confusing.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 8:44 am

I don't even want to get married anymore. Getting married after meeting someone in your early 30s is a lot different to the same in your teens or early 20s when most people have a blank canvas to work with.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 9:54 am

There's a few different variables that determine whether or not someone with autism will likely get married such as their:

- Level of attractiveness (attractive people have a higher number of romantic options which increases their chances of being in a relationship or getting married)

- Severity of disability (People with milder autism are more likely to date compared to someone who has it severely)

- Gender (Autistic women on average have an easier time finding partners compared to autistic men)

- Geographical location. (White man in SEA is going to have an easy time getting dates, rural areas encourage marriage at a younger age compared to the city)

- Whether or not you even want to get married.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 10:03 am

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
That is truly depressing statistics!

I have a disability and want to get married eventually but maybe THIS is what Anita was talking about when she said I may never get married

Because of the Autism

It really depends on factors such as your personality, level of attractiveness, and severity of your autism.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2023, 1:22 am

To me it is actually better to use your 20's as a period of self-discovery and finding your path then get married in your 30's because you will be mature enough and fully ready to handle marriage!

I don't understand why people get married in their early 20's or even once they get out of high school

The ONLY possible reason they would have for that is so they can have kids since risks increase by age with pregnancy/childbirth

Take that away and you will see there is no rush to get married or have a wedding!

It makes sense but I guess it's better that I wait until I find my soulmate, life partner, man of my dreams etc before committing to a legal document (marriage)

Most of my friends got married in late 20's or early 30's

My friend Anita got married at age 28

My friend Glenn first got married at age 38