60% of men are single but only 34% of women are so…

Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 7:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Throwing around accusations of bias is fine, except without confronting the truth you can't actually solve the problem why 60% of men are single or why 1 in 3 men will never experience sex.

Except the study doesn't say that.

More than 60% of American men ages 18-29 report being single, compared to just 34% of women, according to a study by Pew Research Center.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 7:57 pm

There's actually a very simple explanation for this "disparity" in numbers.

The poll defines "single" as not married, not living with a partner, and not in a committed relationship.

That means that a man who is actively dating, but not actually committed to anyone, is still "single" (albeit "dating") according to this poll.

So, all that is necessary for it to be true that "60% of men and 34% of women" is for 26% of women to believe they are in a committed relationship, with guys who don't see it as a committed relationship. She thinks it's serious, he thinks it's good fun. Seems like a much simpler explanation than trying to clumsily contort "science" to aim it at a whole gender.

The Pew study even states "Among single Americans who are looking for a connection, women are more likely than men to be exclusively looking for a committed relationship", which seems to stay in step with the above.

Article also states "However, a majority (57%) of all bachelors and bachelorettes surveyed said they're completely content with their relationship status and just not interested in dating. Most said they had other priorities right now or just like the idea of riding solo."

Also worth mention, this "60/34" stat only applies to ages 18-29. Ages 30-49 drop those percentages to 25% and 17% respectively. Which doesn't sound nearly as impressive or mYsTeRiOuS!

Anyways, back to your music video...

Last edited by uncommondenominator on 03 Mar 2023, 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 8:04 pm

^ :heart:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 8:21 pm

I understand that doesn't account for men in that cohort having sex but psychologically the outcomes for men who are without a partner are worse than for women.

So there are two issues from these reports. The first is some men might believe that single life is fun/conducive for having different sexual partners. But I think deep down living away from parents and being alone isn't ideal for men. And a lot of them aren't coping in reality
https://www.happiness.com/magazine/heal ... lling-men/

What is worse is the rise in young men in this group who have never had sex. A famous report indicated the number of young men who are virgins has tripled between 2008 - 2018
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 1c97d02d0a
This is where we get this now often quoted statistic that 1 in 3 young men are sexless. In the prime of their lives.

I do see this as a problem. And pretending that it is the men's fault isn't helping them.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 8:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I understand that doesn't account for men in that cohort having sex but psychologically the outcomes for men who are without a partner are worse than for women.

What do you mean? How do you know what women feel?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 8:35 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Loneliness impacts both men and women differently
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ess-expert

This is standard knowledge

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 8:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

People are individuals with unique experiences, feelings, and outlooks. Don't be dismissive. You don't (and can't) know how other people, in this case women, feel.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 8:52 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

People are individuals with unique experiences, feelings, and outlooks. Don't be dismissive. You don't (and can't) know how other people, in this case women, feel.

Individual people? yeah sure. I won't dismiss an individual woman experiencing depression from loneliness. Her experience is no less serious as some depressed lonely dude. Except, my point is the problem is more prevalent among males.

If you read the psychologist's interpretation in the article I pinned earlier, women have a better capacity to overcome loneliness, We males are unfortunately pathetic when it comes to living on our own.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 8:56 pm

"This is Fred. Fred suffers from a horrible affliction known as VIRGINITY. Fred, and and many other virgins like him, desperately need your support. For the small donation of only one vagina, he too can experience the sex and finally be free of the suffering brought about by this tragedy. Please help."

Ugh.

Last edited by uncommondenominator on 03 Mar 2023, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Individual people? yeah sure. I won't dismiss an individual woman experiencing depression from loneliness. Her experience is no less serious as some depressed lonely dude. Except, my point is the problem is more prevalent among males.
Even if it happened to be true, which I'm doubtful that it is, it IS being dismissive. This does not need to be about gender. Everyone who is struggling with loneliness deserves empathy. Making this just about males belittles the experiences of others, certainly of some of the female and nonbinary members of this site.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 8:58 pm

The problem for Fred is that the 1-2 minutes of copulation will be a long forgotten memory, But at least he'll get it off his bucket list.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:00 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
"This is Fred. Fred suffers from a horrible affliction known as VIRGINITY. Fred, and and many other virgins like him, desperately need your support. For the small donation of only one vagina, he too can experience the sex and finally be free of the suffering brought about by this tragedy. Please help."

Ugh.

:lol:

It's a very serious issue - right up there with child hunger, human trafficking, and domestic violence.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:01 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Quote:
Even if it happened to be true, which I'm doubtful that it is, it IS being dismissive. This does not need to be about gender. Everyone who is struggling with loneliness deserves empathy. Making this just about males belittles the experiences of others, certainly of some of the female and nonbinary members of this site.

Sure...agree with what you say. But I'm male, so I tend to empathise with other males. If I stick my nose into other female's lives then that would be unfair to my wife, daughter and mother who are the only females I care about.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Quote:

Sure...agree with what you say. But I'm male, so I tend to empathise with other males. If I stick my nose into other female's lives then that would be unfair to my wife, daughter and mother who are the only females I care about.

I don't understand this. We are all human beings.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:16 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
60% of men are single but only 34% of women are . . . in America according to a Pew Research.

The math doesn’t add up, unless there’s a lot polygyny* going or a sudden increase of female homosexuality/bisexuality.

https://scrippsnews.com/amp/stories/stu ... re-single/

*or a lot of males are cheating, but wouldn’t be that scale of cheating unsustainable?

[opinion=mine]

Many women may equate "Not In a Relationship" as being single, while many men may equate "Not Being Married" as being single.

In other words, a man may think that as long as he is not married, he is single; but a woman may think that as long as she is not dating any one person exclusively, she is single.

Of course, these are mere assumptions on my part.

[/opinion]

:shrug:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:27 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I don't understand this. We are all human beings.

As a male I no longer feel comfortable approaching women I don't know, offering help or trying to strike up a conversation. That's all, I mind my own business.