Increasing popularity of friends-first approach

Page 11 of 16 [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 7:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:
But I'm sure you have articles on hand to demonstrate these claims. Ones that include actual data, and not just more claims being made, if you would. Else I feel compelled to take the word of my professors.

First, I'll take you back for a history lesson (after all, I am history buff). Psychology has it's roots in philosophy. More specifically phenomenology. At it's heart,the study of “phenomena”: appearances of things, or things as they appear in our experience, or the ways we experience things, thus the meanings things have in our experience.

Among the early pioneers of testing phenomenology was William Wundt at Harvard Psychology in the 1800s who believed every person could reflect on their thoughts in response to an external stimulus in a process called introspection.

The thoughts revealed could reconstruct a person's consciousness. While on the surface this seemed unscientific it gave rise to (among other things) Freud's psychoanalysis, Gestalt and kick started research into cognitive behavioural theory. Phenomenology suggests the human experience is largely universal in that there are universal themes in terms of emotion, motivation and drivers that compel all humans to think similar thoughts.

A simple example I will leave you with is when a person is walking in the woods and is confronted by a growling bear towering over them. Every person responds the same their fight/flight activation kicks in and we go into survival mode and run the heck out of there. As situations become more ambiguous it becomes harder to predict how each person will respond? but some things are basic.

When it comes to a cis-man seeking cis-female companionship the motivation is always the same. If you put this man in a situation where he has to persevere and endure friendship then over time he experiences sexual frustration. It isn't rocket science. It's biology. My point is if the investment the cis-man makes in a relationship isn't reciprocated from the cis-female then every man in this situation will feel a certain sense of frustration. This is not difficult to predict.
How they respond will of course vary. An intelligent man will cut links and move on quickly and not waste time. More naive individuals (like me) will stick around thinking "I'm going to win her over".

That's a lot of words to say "no, I have no sources".

Modern cognitive behavioral psychology disagrees with you, and has invalidated your bear analogy, too. More recently with the likes of B.F Skinner, et al, behavior is recognized as individual responses to individual situations, and that while there may be a "genetic memory" for things like "eat" or "mate", it does not extend to things like "fear". Cognitive behaviorism posits that any appearance of a "genetic" or "instinctual" response, is actually a product of cultural conditioning. The average adult in modern culture, even having never seen a bear in real life, has likely been exposed to the existence of bears, or bear attacks, in media and pop culture, and learned to fear bears cos culture teaches us they are dangerous.

However, absent that conditioning, all manner of response is possible, beside just fight or flight (or freeze).

For example:

They didn't seem too scared. Guess their genes haven't learned to be scared of bears yet...

Again, I think I'll take the word of my graduate-level clinical cognitive behavioral psychology professor's word over what the guy-who-reads says.

Also...

cyberdad wrote:
When it comes to a cis-man seeking cis-female companionship the motivation is always the same.

Do you mind if I quote this comment in that other thread where you're offended that a woman implies that ("about half of", to quote her) men tend to share a similarity in a certain thing they want?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 7:58 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Brief excerpt from Gen Z's dating revolution: Young people are adopting an old-fashioned solution for the humiliation and hassle of dating apps, by Daniel Cox, Business Insider, Mar 7, 2023:

Quote:
Today's young adults, especially young women, are increasingly finding romance in their friend groups. In our survey, 43% of people between the ages of 18 and 29 said they were in a relationship with someone who was first a friend, including an astonishing 50% of women in that cohort. This is double the 21% of people over 65 who reported having been friends with their partner or spouse before they started dating. Among older couples, 52% said their significant other was a complete stranger to them before they got together, while only 35% of young people said the same. In other words, a lot more older Americans created a relationship out of thin air.

The article goes on to give various reasons for this.

That sounds like an excellent idea. I have no idea how people find partners these days because all relationships are transitory- romantic, friendship, working etc. Apparently most people on dating apps are only after a fling now days anyway.

I only read your post, not the others as it's a long thread.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2023, 8:31 am

bottleblank wrote:
I've always considered "friends first" to be the "right" approach, personally. I understand that others don't, or are happy to mix it up and go with "person I randomly met" experiences, but that's never really clicked with me as an option.

To me it's always seemed like the more respectful, connected, trust-building way of forming a relationship, and even the "natural" way of forming a relationship, based on a mutual connection that grows over time. It would certainly make me feel more comfortable, knowing that I and a potential partner already understand each other, know each other's quirks, know we enjoy each other's company, and so on.

On the other hand, in online discussions about dating practices, gender relations, and suchlike, I tend to hear conflicting views. Some say that approaching women you don't know is disrespectful, others disagree. Some suggest that trying to upgrade a friendship is a sign that you were never friends in the first place but simply wanted to charm your way into a woman's underwear under false pretences. Some say that you should express interest as soon as possible to show what it is you're looking for in this social bond you're trying to form. Others say that's objectification.

Then there's the dreaded "friend zone" where you've developed feelings which turn out to be unrequited. Or things can get awkward and the dynamic can change after you've expressed a wish to move to something more involved but the person you want to do it with doesn't want to join you in that.

Hell if I know what's what. I always thought the upgraded friendship was the way it was always supposed to work, but for every dating truth you'll find another one which contradicts it, and even paints you as a terrible misogynist. I really do hate the present social environment. At least 20 years ago, if I were to make a mistake, it'd be a largely innocent mis-step. Now it seems anything you do (particularly as someone without the experience to overcome the negative messaging) is a sign of disrespect, discrimination, and harassment against women, no matter how good your intentions.

As a sperg, I find maintaining friendships can be stressful and difficult. So I am not big on the friends first approach, while at the same time I am skeptical of online dating.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2023, 8:37 am

Cognitive behaviorism posits that any appearance of a "genetic" or "instinctual" response, is actually a product of cultural conditioning. The average adult in modern culture, even having never seen a bear in real life, has likely been exposed to the existence of bears, or bear attacks, in media and pop culture, and learned to fear bears cos culture teaches us they are dangerous.

However, absent that conditioning, all manner of response is possible, beside just fight or flight (or freeze).

Disagree. That video proves nothing as the bear seemed more scared of the boy, implying that bears have a genetic memory and instinct. This would strongly suggest the "cultural conditioning" argument is not entirely valid. Also that was a small bear not a large adult 1500lbs bear. Also, if the bear was growling and showing their teeth then the genetic memory instinct would kick in due to millions of years of evolution. In summary, there is some degree of "cultural conditioning" and most have concluded its about a 50/50 mixture of nature and nurture.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 1:18 pm

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Cognitive behaviorism posits that any appearance of a "genetic" or "instinctual" response, is actually a product of cultural conditioning. The average adult in modern culture, even having never seen a bear in real life, has likely been exposed to the existence of bears, or bear attacks, in media and pop culture, and learned to fear bears cos culture teaches us they are dangerous.

Disagree. That video proves nothing as the bear seemed more scared of the boy, implying that bears have a genetic memory and instinct. This would strongly suggest the "cultural conditioning" argument is not entirely valid. Also that was a small bear not a large adult 1500lbs bear. Also, if the bear was growling and showing their teeth then the genetic memory instinct would kick in due to millions of years of evolution. In summary, there is some degree of "cultural conditioning" and most have concluded its about a 50/50 mixture of nature and nurture.

Disagree all you like. In summary, you're just "saying stuff".

Again, I think I'll take the word of my professors.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 6:24 pm

More recently with the likes of B.F Skinner, et al, behavior is recognized as individual responses to individual situations, and that while there may be a "genetic memory" for things like "eat" or "mate", it does not extend to things like "fear".

Oh brother :roll: BF Skinner is not recent. He's a creature from the 1950s behaviouralist school of thought.
Skinner and Watson believed in the black box concept where all unconcious thought was relegated to a black box because (they believed) you can't verify a person's individual thought. They also made a now discredited assumption that all human learning comes from classical conditioning and operant conditioning. I'm afraid you need to get with the times.

The behaviourists tried to discredit psychoanalysis and qualitative introspection but couldn't explain why psychoanalysis is actually just as effective as CBT in improving a person's mental illness.

Secondly I pointed out history to help educate your incredibly narrow view that raw statistics is the only way to validate how humans behave (I notice you have been covertly trying to back track your boasting claims as if you know this subject but sorry, you are no more a psychologist than anyone else here. Please stop pretending because you (claim) to talk to university professors).

All of this is designed to invalidate personal experience as psychologically important. You want sources yhou can google themselves as I have detected your only sole purpose is trolling me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 6:32 pm

[Cognitive behaviorism posits that any appearance of a "genetic" or "instinctual" response, is actually a product of cultural conditioning. The average adult in modern culture, even having never seen a bear in real life, has likely been exposed to the existence of bears, or bear attacks, in media and pop culture, and learned to fear bears cos culture teaches us they are dangerous.

Oh and I used the bear example because there are some responses that are unversal and initiated by the animal parts of the brain - flight or fight response. Your claim about cultures not being exposed to bears is pretty weird since how do you expect a person who hasn't seen a growling bear standing on it's hind legs in the woods to react? embrace it as it claws and bite you?

The nuance comes from where a situation is more ambiguous. In that instance cultural conditioning may play a part in how a person responds differently. This is not rocket science and any reasonable person (I beginning to wonder if you are being reasonable?) would accept this.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 6:45 pm

Modern cognitive behavioral psychology disagrees with you, and has invalidated your bear analogy, too. More recently with the likes of B.F Skinner, et al, behavior is recognized as individual responses to individual situations, and that while there may be a "genetic memory" for things like "eat" or "mate", it does not extend to things like "fear".

Plz excuse my interrupting you two, but isn't a fear of heights instinctual?
Perhaps I took your comment out of context?

Quote:
studies in babies and young animals suggest our brains are wired to be wary of high places.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... nstinctual

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 7:45 pm

Pepe wrote:

Modern cognitive behavioral psychology disagrees with you, and has invalidated your bear analogy, too. More recently with the likes of B.F Skinner, et al, behavior is recognized as individual responses to individual situations, and that while there may be a "genetic memory" for things like "eat" or "mate", it does not extend to things like "fear".

Quote:
studies in babies and young animals suggest our brains are wired to be wary of high places.

He keeps pretending to be a psychologist

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 8:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
More recently with the likes of B.F Skinner, et al, behavior is recognized as individual responses to individual situations, and that while there may be a "genetic memory" for things like "eat" or "mate", it does not extend to things like "fear".

Oh brother :roll: BF Skinner is not recent. He's a creature from the 1950s behaviouralist school of thought.
Skinner and Watson believed in the black box concept where all unconcious thought was relegated to a black box because (they believed) you can't verify a person's individual thought. They also made a now discredited assumption that all human learning comes from classical conditioning and operant conditioning. I'm afraid you need to get with the times.

The behaviourists tried to discredit psychoanalysis and qualitative introspection but couldn't explain why psychoanalysis is actually just as effective as CBT in improving a person's mental illness.

Secondly I pointed out history to help educate your incredibly narrow view that raw statistics is the only way to validate how humans behave (I notice you have been covertly trying to back track your boasting claims as if you know this subject but sorry, you are no more a psychologist than anyone else here. Please stop pretending because you (claim) to talk to university professors).

All of this is designed to invalidate personal experience as psychologically important. You want sources yhou can google themselves as I have detected your only sole purpose is trolling me.

You went all the way back to the 1800s for your magical history tour. Suddenly 1950 is "too old"? As you yourself pointed out, behaviorism STARTED with Skinner. It has continued to advance since then.

I'm sure you have evidence and sources to back all this up. I'm not going to do your homework for you. You make the claims, you back it up. You can ask for sources, too. But I notice you never do... Hmm...

Your Kakapo Dance trying to make me look one way or another is adorable, but anyone is free to search our respective post histories and make their own determinations. If I was so clearly wrong, you wouldn't need to put on such a grandstanding performance of who-you-think-I-am.

You're just saying stuff that sounds good in your head. Am I supposed to shrivel up into a ball of insecurity cos (rando internet person) decides to try to discredit me, obviously for their own benefit? I went and checked, and my diplomas didn't up and evaporate just cos you wanna trash talk instead of providing references.

Also, not "talk to" - "taught by". If you're going to imply I'm lying as a last resort to discredit me rather than argue my actual points, at least get it right. Surely a history buff as talented as you can at least remember that I'm lying about a Master's degree in business (hence my knowledge of statistics) as well as a Bachelor's degree in organizational behavior with a focus on psychology.

Seriously, if you have to claim I'm lying about my credentials, instead of simply making a counter case, with facts and evidence, you don't really have much to stand on, do you?

Lastly, mr smart guy, if I am no more of a psychologist than anyone else here, then what makes you the f*ckin expert we should all listen to? Remember, you're the HISTORY guy...

Just sayin...

Last edited by uncommondenominator on 25 Mar 2023, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 8:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Quote:

He keeps pretending to be a psychologist

I hope you aren't trying to be one, either. 8O :mrgreen:

I, on the other hand, AM a fully fledged psychotherapist...NOT! :mrgreen:

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 9:07 pm

Pepe wrote:

You're the Oracle. You tell me.

But I'll be sure to ask most birds, many arboreal animals, bungee jumpers, skydivers, trapeze artists, hang-gliders, pilots, base jumpers, flight-suit enthusiasts, cliff divers, or, pending a time machine, the Native American "Skywalkers", if I get the opportunity :wink:

Quite frequently, extremely young children and animals will happily walk right off a ledge, until AFTER they LEARN that it's a bad, painful, idea.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 9:17 pm

Quite frequently, extremely young children and animals will happily walk right off a ledge, until AFTER they LEARN that it's a bad, painful, idea.

Not exactly. Go read the research on the visual cliff experiments.

As someone who has a Ph.D in Psychology, is a professor of Psychology, and teaches graduate level courses in Human Development, Personality, and Cognitive Psychology, I can say you are partially correct.

Some fear has been demonstrated to be learned. John Watson demonstrated this with his little Albert study. He was able to condition fear in little Albert of a white rabbit (cue Jefferson Airplane here) where the white rabbit was originally a neutral stimulus-it did not produce fear in Albert.

However, he was able to condition fear in little Albert by pairing the white rabbit with a loud noise, which did produce fear in little Albert. This was the Unconditioned Stimulus and Unconditioned Response. It was unlearned. Little Albert did not need to learn to be afraid of the loud noise (banging two metal rods together in this case), it was reflexive in him. Eventually little Albert did come to fear the white rabbit because of it being paired with the Unconditioned Stimulus of the noise. This made the white rabbit the Conditioned Stimulus and his fear of it the Conditioned Response.

As stated earlier also, behaviorism has found that some stimuli are easier to condition to certain responses than are other stimuli. We do seem to be innately primed for certain stimulus-response pairings, and this includes fear.

Behaviorism isn't the only theory in Psychology either. Evolutionary Psychology, with is an outgrowth of Sociobiology, has found that certain social behaviors do seem to be genetically programmed in humans. David Buss is one of the main figures in this area, and he has written extensively about innate programming and mating behaviors.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 11:42 pm

Pepe wrote:

You're the Oracle. You tell me.

But I'll be sure to ask most birds, many arboreal animals, bungee jumpers, skydivers, trapeze artists, hang-gliders, pilots, base jumpers, flight-suit enthusiasts, cliff divers, or, pending a time machine, the Native American "Skywalkers", if I get the opportunity :wink:

"Evidence" for your qualifier, plz.

But it seems peculiar that you seem to be ignoring the fact that "fear" CAN be a characteristic that is passed through genetic coding.
Why is that?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 11:54 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:

Not exactly. Go read the research on the visual cliff experiments.

As someone who has a Ph.D in Psychology, is a professor of Psychology, and teaches graduate level courses in Human Development, Personality, and Cognitive Psychology, I can say you are partially correct.

Perhaps we have a NEW contender for "Smartest Person in the Room". :wink:

Off-topic:

As a professor of psychology, do you think it prudent for a stranger to maintain being skeptical as to your qualifications, since there is no validation at this point, erm, validating your assertion that you are indeed a professor of Psychology?

To be klear, I am not challenging you here.
Simply assessing... 8)

Pax...

BTW,
Are you on the autistic spectrum?

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 12:04 am

I had thought of that. Yes, there is no proof I am what I claim I am. That is something you would have to take on faith. If I was going to make up qualifications, I would make up better ones than that!