Ladies: Would you let your man get a motorcycle?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Would you let your significant other get a motorcycle if they wanted one?
I'm a girl, and no / probably not. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm a girl, and yes / probably. 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
I'm a guy, and no / probably not. 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
I'm a girl, and yes / probably. 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
I resent this reference to genders. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I resent this reference to probability. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
BIKER CHICKS!! ! 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 20

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 7:45 pm

I'm thinking about getting one. I already have a motorscooter, but it's the smallest and slowest one in existence, so I'm thinking of finally getting an actual motorcycle.
(I originally bought the scooter to save on gas, which is why I bought the smallest one.)

It's a benefit of singlehood that I don't have to ask anyone in my life before I buy it -- or anything else for that matter -- so I was curious how many of you would let your man buy a motorcycle if he could afford it.

Also, guys, how many of you would let your girlfriend/wife get a motorcycle if they wanted to?

This is my current choice, but it may vary:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 7:53 pm

Of course I would. He's my partner, not my child, I don't have any right to tell him what to do, just as he has no right to tell me what to do.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 8:38 pm

when i was young, i saw a motorcycle accident before the cops arrived to the scene... the woman was mangled (i knew shew was going to die).... and forget the bike. since then, ive seen two accidents in the same situation (well, they might have made it), before help had arrived and it's just terrible... you really have no protection whatsoever no matter what precautions you take.

but then again... that's not really the way to live life. be as careful as you can...

and for me, that goes with not getting on motorcycles.... which i have done before... and i just don't like not being in control.... as well as having those memories.

but they are a lot better on gas.... especially if you're just goin around town... which is way less dangerous velocity-wise than interstate travelling.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 8:53 pm

You put two of the same choice in your poll.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 9:36 pm

:D Memories. I almost bought one of those when they first came out years back...one I looked at was a beautiful belt driven model...I think it was the late 80's...beautiful bike.

Now as for the question...sure I would...the big question would be would he let me drive it? :lol:

I don't believe any decisions like that should require "permission' in a relationship...as long as the money is there, and it's not something that would cause undue hardship...everyone should be entitled to pursue their personal forms of happiness in life.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 10:04 pm

Sure, if he wanted to. I'm not going to be controlling.

Three years!

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 10:22 pm

Of course. My boyfriend can do whatever he wants. If he starts doing things that make me unhappy, I'll talk to him about, or leave. But I would be happy if he got a motorcycle. I've never ridden one and would really like to experience it.

I saw a motorcycle accident when I was 2. A biker went off the highway at night. The bike just flew off the top of the hill. I remember some kind of explosion, and blood. I went with my parents to call for help. The guy survived, but he was badly injured.

That experience didn't make me afraid of bikes. I'm at peace with the fact that life and death are unpredictable, no matter what.

Chapter13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2007, 11:03 pm

I know a physician who refers to them as 'donor-cycles'. I'll bet you can figure out why.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 12:08 am

One of my friends has a Harley Fat Boy. He's currently recovering from a broken collar-bone and three broken ribs. He wrecked his bike at a mere 5 MPH, because a car stopped suddenly and he was following too closely. I've ridden my scooter 4,400 miles and never had any wrecks, though a couple times I deserved to, from negligence. This is my friend's fifth wreck in his life (he's 50), and he's not giving up the bike. And he's a family man -- has a wife and kids -- whereas no one depends on me but my parrot. Still, I'm always extra careful (helmet and all). He never wears his helmet! Well, maybe now he will, hopefully.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 1:01 am

Ragtime wrote:
One of my friends has a Harley Fat Boy. He's currently recovering from a broken collar-bone and three broken ribs. He wrecked his bike at a mere 5 MPH, because a car stopped suddenly and he was following too closely. I've ridden my scooter 4,400 miles and never had any wrecks, though a couple times I deserved to, from negligence. This is my friend's fifth wreck in his life (he's 50), and he's not giving up the bike. And he's a family man -- has a wife and kids -- whereas no one depends on me but my parrot. Still, I'm always extra careful (helmet and all). He never wears his helmet! Well, maybe now he will, hopefully.

6th time is a charm!

not trying to give impression i would tell someone not to get one

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 8:01 am

riverotter wrote:
You put two of the same choice in your poll.

Oops! :oops: Please treat the third "girl" option as "guy". I can't change it now.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 8:12 am

Sedaka wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

6th time is a charm!

I know, you're being egalitarian, and I appreciate that. After my friend wrecked (8 weeks recuperation time! :o ) I told him he could go ahead and get rid of the bike, but he's been riding for 20 years, and he just loves it. So I told him there's tons of ways he can improve his safety, short of just completely quitting. 1. Don't ride it as much (he rode it almost every day, just for fun), 2. Don't ride it on busy streets so much, 3. Wear a fricken helmet, 4. Ride very defensively like I do, instead of tailgating people like he did. He's got long hair, and so he likes to ditch the helmet and ride wild. I never, ever ride w/o helmet.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 8:27 am

The bike in the picture is just a 250. I'll probably go higher if I can afford it, but that'll do me, because I'm not into interstate touring; I'm not what they call an "iron butt". :lol: (The seats get very uncomfortable on really long rides.)

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 2:23 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Sedaka wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

6th time is a charm!

I know, you're being egalitarian, and I appreciate that. After my friend wrecked (8 weeks recuperation time! :o ) I told him he could go ahead and get rid of the bike, but he's been riding for 20 years, and he just loves it. So I told him there's tons of ways he can improve his safety, short of just completely quitting. 1. Don't ride it as much (he rode it almost every day, just for fun), 2. Don't ride it on busy streets so much, 3. Wear a fricken helmet, 4. Ride very defensively like I do, instead of tailgating people like he did. He's got long hair, and so he likes to ditch the helmet and ride wild. I never, ever ride w/o helmet.

i do mean that you shouldnt live in fear and not nopt get a bike because of that...

i apply this logic to other areas of life where i do risky things because i enjoy them immensely... just motorbikes ain't one of them.

logic still applies though. good to have a healthy fear anyway.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

edal
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 3:55 pm

Fall off a bike at 40mph and spend three weeks in hospital. Then come back and see if you need to ask the question.

If you still feel that getting a bike is a good idea the please PLEASE buy a decent set of leather gear and a full face helmet. They saved my life and I walked away from the crash.

Ed Almos

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 3:59 pm

stick to scooters ...they are much safer .