Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

northern_light_girl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2008, 9:22 pm

For wanting a relationship with an NT? From their perspective, what can the Aspie offer them, for their emotional needs? Isn't it almost selfish for an Aspie to want a rel with an NT (when the NT doesn't know about the partner's AS)?

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 9:26 pm

I think not telling them would be wrong. However, simply wanting the relationship is not wrong. If two people care about each other, does it really matter if one has AS as long as each accepts the other? I don't think it does.

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 9:29 pm

It depends on what you're saying. If you're saying you're attracted to a neurotypical guy, then of course you shouldn't be guilty. It's your right to choose who you are attracted to, not your friends, and not social convention. It's our one evolutionary prerogative.
But if you're saying you ONLY want a relationship with a neurotypical guy, and would refuse an AS guy based entirely on the fact that he's AS, then maybe you should be less proud of that, but it's still your choice, I can't stop you.

As for what an AS person can offer an NT, the same thing an NT can offer an NT. i would hope that if you're in a relationship he's looking for something only you can offer him, an likewise him for you.

northern_light_girl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2008, 9:31 pm

Daewoodrow wrote:
It depends on what you're saying. If you're saying you're attracted to a neurotypical guy, then of course you shouldn't be guilty. It's your right to choose who you are attracted to, not your friends, and not social convention. It's our one evolutionary prerogative.
But if you're saying you ONLY want a relationship with a neurotypical guy, and would refuse an AS guy based entirely on the fact that he's AS, then maybe you should be less proud of that, but it's still your choice, I can't stop you.

As for what an AS person can offer an NT, the same thing an NT can offer an NT. i would hope that if you're in a relationship he's looking for something only you can offer him, an likewise him for you.

oh no, I'm saying in the event one falls for an NT...IF that happens...isn't it selfish

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 9:42 pm

no definitely not selfish. As I said, nobody can take away your right to choose who you go for. You should never feel embarassed for who you choose.

my advice, if the attraction is unrequited, you may want to ask yourself what it is that makes you feel attracted to them. If he doesn't see anything special about you that's worth returning the affection, then he couldn't possibly be the best guy for you.
This does apply to AS and NT people alike though.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 9:49 pm

northern_light_girl wrote:
For wanting a relationship with an NT? From their perspective, what can the Aspie offer them, for their emotional needs? Isn't it almost selfish for an Aspie to want a rel with an NT (when the NT doesn't know about the partner's AS)?

It's not selfish since aspies do have what's necessary for a loving relationship. On the other hand, I have met women who were willing to take without giving, and they were NT.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 9:02 am

An aspie can bring much more to a loving relationship than an NT can, as your average NT is on average more shallow than your average aspie...

crimebabe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 9:09 am

northern_light_girl wrote:
Daewoodrow wrote:

oh no, I'm saying in the event one falls for an NT...IF that happens...isn't it selfish

not its not selfish
im dating an nt guy myself at the moment