Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

oak
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2008, 4:25 pm

Sometimes I've got the feeling that emotions can merely be experienced while reading a book, watching a film or listening to music.

Of course this attitude could be the result of an exaggerated sense of romance. Films and books try to construct a world of exaggerated emotions. But they trigger feelings that I didn't know before I began to watch/read them.

I've got the impression that I mostly lack basic feelings like sadness or even happiness (maybe also the symptom of a depression?). They can only be activated when I watch films and read books. When others are sad, I often just calculate the consequences of the specific situation and evaluate it.

[added] I've inserted this topic into the "Love" forum, because "love" or compassion is the most conspicuous one of these feelings.

(Please excuse my language mistakes, English is not my mother tongue.)

t0
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 5:43 pm

oak wrote:
Sometimes I've got the feeling that emotions can merely be experienced while reading a book, watching a film or listening to music.

I find that my emotions are more frequently triggered by these things. In fact, I try to use music to change my emotions through repetitive play of a song that usually triggers my desired emotion.

Other things that have recently triggered my emotions:
- Getting into arguments with my wife or when she gets emotional about something else.
- The Virginia Tech shootings (I am an alumnus)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 8:53 pm

I think they're there, there's probably just not as much being expressed (unless you have pointed ears...;)
of course, the flip side is being hypersensitive to other's emotions, second-guessing the impact of everything you say...;)

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 1:15 am

I know I have emotions, but I just don't recognize them anymore. Over the many years of being mistreated, I got so good at blocking them out, I don't even know what they're supposed to feel like. So even when I am experiencing an emotion one way or another, I have no idea what it is.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 9:17 am

I have trouble experiencing emotions when they're appropriate. With me I never know if what I'm feeling is the right feeling or the wrong feeling making it harder to emulate what the other person is expressing out of a thought. So on one hand I think when I listen to music or read a book, I know that the book or the music isn't going to judge me when it starts to hit a nerve or an emotion. On the other, this is what makes social life or relationships harder. Expressioning emotions to another are what help a relationship of some sort get started. Not that I don't express some emotion to a person but to a point where I feel immobile or trapped to recognize what another is feeling and to mimic that of which they're feeling. I think this is what most NTs take for granted that people with AS have trouble in.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 1:09 pm

pakled wrote:
(unless you have pointed ears...)

That's probably what it is...