Decent Dating Sites; know any?

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 8:28 am

I have no profile on AspieAffection but never heard from anyone before that it would be a paid site.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 8:32 am

PS: I can understand the nr of questions on OKcupid seems exhausting, but in a way it is a good thing. The more detailed info they know about you, the better the system can pass you profiles of people who really have A LOT in common with you. Giving only basic info such as age, gender, location, hobbies etc will take less time but results in time consuming searching through profiles. With very detailed questionnaires such as on OKcupid, the site will have it easier to hand you over some very close matches. So in a way, filling in that long questionnaire will save you time and disappointments afterwards and bring you straight to those profiles that are really very close to your own profile.

I have more or less decided to give OKcupid a try but am soon emigrating again and not sure yet to which country. As soon as this is known and thus as soon as I know what to fill in as location, I will create a profile at OKcupid.

V4der
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2008, 1:00 pm

http://myyearbook.com

I've met a lot of fascinating women with that site.

|-o-| V4der |-o-|

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 1:57 am

crackedpleasures wrote:
I have no profile on AspieAffection but never heard from anyone before that it would be a paid site.

Sorry to go further off topic, but I don't know where else I ought to post this:
Upon signing up for AspieAffection, the ToS only vaguely alluded to fees, with no specifics. Had to click on "upgrade membership" to find that information (by which point I'd already joined site), where was displayed table/chart with fees & benefits of membership tiers.

The default (I did not select this, it just was input this way, unbeknownst to me) was "Gold", at cost of $20. "Silver" level was $10.
Having seen this, and fearing running up a bill which I am unwilling (and never agreed) to pay, I then chose "Free" level- despite it only being valid for 7 days from date one's joined the site. Would like to remain on the site for longer than a week, but it's not worth paying money for-wonder if my profile & access will disappear within a few days...

Also, there often has been message "database error occured. Check the query and/or DB connection"-in others' profiles, as well as when I'd try to fill in info. for my own profile.
There's no FAQ nor contact button on AspieAffection, so I used the WP front page "contact" function to send a pm to Alex, in hopes of getting more information about site & these "fine print" terms. That was over the weekend & I've yet to get a reply.

Upon doing further research (attempting to use the following sites), here are the technical problems I encountered-however, your experience will vary.

OkayCupid:have tried numerous times to laod page, couldn't even view site, because it causes my browser (Safari) to crash over & over-which is utterly frustrating/vexing/annoying.
Match.com costs money, which is dealbreaker for me. Had an archive of free articles to read about dating, which were more or less interesting.
eHarmony didn't reveal actual fee amounts for subscription-couldn't find it in ToS or anywhere else.
Yahoo!Personals keeps saying "please correct these errors: the value you entered is not valid" when I submit info. to profile. Have tried several times to fix this, but cannot figure out.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 10:17 am

I was on POF for a while, and yeah, not much expression going on in peoples profiles. Mostly just a bunch of dancing bananas and nothing much else.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 10:49 am

As far as I know, AA is not a paid site.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 10:49 am

blue_bean wrote:
I was on POF for a while, and yeah, not much expression going on in peoples profiles. Mostly just a bunch of dancing bananas and nothing much else.

Don't get me started on the dancing bananas.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 12:30 pm

eHarmony I would never sign up with as it is run by conservative christians and aimed at this audience. For example they have no options to look for profiles of your own gender etc. Now I am straight so in a way this doesnt affect me personally, but the whole conservative mentality of the site will very likely attract very conservative people and I doubt I would find my ideal match there.

And I have to agree with Tim Tex: I never heard from anyone who used the site that payment was required or that profiles would just expire. The reason why I would not immediately sign up is the fact that the number of females is very low compared to the number of males, and also it seems a very US/Canada focused site so even if I spotted a nice girl on AspieAffection the distance would make it quite hard to work out. I am prepared to travel but I would say a more EUropean orientated similar site would definitely get my attention (a travel to meet a girl in Rome or Madrid is easily realisable, a travel to Phoenix or Seattle would ruin my budget)

I think OKcupid would be the first one I would try. Yahoo and MSN are not primary dating sites, the profiles is just one of the many services they offer. WHile I find Yahoos email very reliable, I find their other services a bit unstructured sometimes.

Other than that, in Germany where I lived the last 10 months, myflirt.de is completely free and has a huge amount of members, just wanted to share this with the other Germany based members here (although probably only a 10 or 15 ?)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 2:53 pm

www.okcupid.com

Strange group, interesting thoughts, overwhelmingly... pink. But have found some neat people over the years through there, albeit as friends.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 8:12 pm

Belfast wrote:
OkayCupid:have tried numerous times to laod page, couldn't even view site, because it causes my browser (Safari) to crash over & over-which is utterly frustrating/vexing/annoying.

Try Firefox. It doesn't crash much on okcupid.com.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 3:46 pm

n4mwd wrote:
Belfast wrote:

Try Firefox. It doesn't crash much on okcupid.com.

Appreciate the suggestion.
Alas, am far too technologically limited (cognitively & at handling novelty, as well as having not much space in my computer) to take advantage of downloading a different browser.

Realize it could be that if I had newer version of my OS that I could then get my browser version upgraded, which might make a difference-but am unwilling to spend extra money for new update of OS.
Does vex me that I cannot access the site whatsoever, just seems ridiculous that it keeps crashing my browser like that, every time.

Anyway...

I did get pm back from Alex, as to my question about fees table listed at AspieAffection. He said it is free & that the page with list of costs was "remnant of the software" he used.

Have profile on two sites (aspieaffection & plentyoffish)-since those are free, and work well enough on my not-so-great internet connection & archaic operating system. That's about all I can figure out how to do at the moment, though know it would be better to have more "bottles to throw into the ocean" (opportunities/places, online and off, to meet new people).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 5:08 pm

I have Safari and have never had problems.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 5:12 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
www.okcupid.com

Strange group, interesting thoughts, overwhelmingly... pink. But have found some neat people over the years through there, albeit as friends.

M.

Not sure what you mean with those "Strange group, interesting thoughts, overwhelmingly... pink" but care to explain please, as I am quite tempted to join OKcupid.

I may give AspieAffection a try, guess it cannot do harm. But the number of females is rather limited or so it seems, and the geographical locations of the interesting girls I saw there are quite far. I may be a fanatic traveller, but I experienced sometimes people are scared off by people wanting to travel especially to see them.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:29 pm

ccflowergirl wrote:
I’ve used plenty of fish before, saw it here some guy posted about it so for some reason i thought that you could say I’m Aspie looking for a Aspie and see what happens, but that’s not the case, i don't think most people even know what that means, I thought they would just leave me alone, unless they knew. i have guys message me and none of them want to get to know me or let me find out any thing about them first, just im me , where do you want to meet, or here’s my phone #, one guy said throw on a swimsuit and come float with me in his pool, and that was his first message to me! They scare the sh** out of me, why would I meet or call a complete stranger, some say in there profiles if you don't have a picture... or will massage you and say only, send a picture! How rude and why would I send one to a stranger? it hasn't worked out well for me, oh a forgot to say and the people on plenty o fish live not just in your state but could live next door to you or in your own neighborhood, Mr. pool was very close I’m scared I’m going do run in to him at the store or some thing he won't know me but I’ll know him. I would rather stay here and take my chances with guys to scared to ask if I even own I swim suit, at least I know I’m around my own kind. Is there any that are Aspie friendly? And yes I know about Aspie Affection. Any others??

Oh dear.

This kind of thing is inevitable when you are female and advertising for love online. The secret isn't to find the right site; the secret is to learn how to smile and delete.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:31 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I would consider dating a non-Christian if there is a guarantee that my mom's crooked cousin and his wife will leave me alone

What makes you think they'll leave you alone even if you date a Christian?

Tim_Tex wrote:
and that I can still get into heaven if I date a nonbeliever.

From whom would you accept such a guarantee?

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:32 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I joined OK Cupid.

YAY