Decent Dating Sites; know any?

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 9:41 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have Safari and have never had problems.

(Again, sorry to take thread off track, with subject of technological difficulties).
Have Safari version 1.3.2, probably considered primitive by those regularly keep their software current. Is yours more up-to-date ? Did you have to alter some browser preferences, such as pop up blocking (which I keep checked) ? Other preferences are enabled, allowing JavaScript and plug-ins, whatever those mean. Baffled by this predicament. Even tried getting to an internal page (rather than home/front page) within site, via search. Still crashed my browser at same point: when "5 out of 6 items" had loaded-then, kablooey !

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 11:05 am

Belfast wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I have Safari and have never had problems.

(Again, sorry to take thread off track, with subject of technological difficulties).
Have Safari version 1.3.2, probably considered primitive by those regularly keep their software current. Is yours more up-to-date ? Did you have to alter some browser preferences, such as pop up blocking (which I keep checked) ? Other preferences are enabled, allowing JavaScript and plug-ins, whatever those mean. Baffled by this predicament. Even tried getting to an internal page (rather than home/front page) within site, via search. Still crashed my browser at same point: when "5 out of 6 items" had loaded-then, kablooey !

It works fine with Firefox.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 4:20 pm

juliekitty wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I would consider dating a non-Christian if there is a guarantee that my mom's crooked cousin and his wife will leave me alone

What makes you think they'll leave you alone even if you date a Christian?

Tim_Tex wrote:
and that I can still get into heaven if I date a nonbeliever.

From whom would you accept such a guarantee?

Not really anyone in particular.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

PhillipJFry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2008, 4:45 am

I'm just going to say. There are HEAPS of dating sites out there. Thousands upon thousands of them. But they all have one thing in common. They're all out to make money and nothing else. Why in the past few years I've joined over 10 dating sites and every time I get close to meeting someone on those sites, I'm always prompted to update my membership status (in other words pay by credit card) Which is inconvenient since I don't have a credit card, nor would I necessarily upgrade even if I did.

I've always been told that good things will come to those that wait. I may get lucky one day, but it will probably happen when I'm not looking for it.

Remeber:
"A watched pot never boils." :wink:

Moose1132
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2008, 12:15 am

I just have to thank anyone here that recommended okcupid. A few months ago I gave it a shot and after several weeks of thinking it was going nowhere, I actually got to talking with this nice girl and even got the nerve to meet her. We've been dating for like 2 months now and it's uncanny how easy it is for me to talk to her. I; like a lot of people here, have an extremely difficult time talking with most people I meet. It just came natural with her though and only seems to be getting easier.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 1:41 am

Moose1132 wrote:
I just have to thank anyone here that recommended okcupid. A few months ago I gave it a shot and after several weeks of thinking it was going nowhere, I actually got to talking with this nice girl and even got the nerve to meet her. We've been dating for like 2 months now and it's uncanny how easy it is for me to talk to her. I; like a lot of people here, have an extremely difficult time talking with most people I meet. It just came natural with her though and only seems to be getting easier.

Yay, Moose! That's great news... I like OKC, although I've only gained friends and penpals from there over the years. Love came out of friendship. Success stories are good. :)

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 1:43 pm

Like Belfast, I have filled in a lot of questions and done some tests at Okcupid but it feels a bit like just keeping busy to me. Because I am somehow curious at every such personality tests and such, but then when it comes to actively sending messages around... well, at that point the "artificial internet date" feeling crawls back in. Guess I will just have to try a few messages now and then and be lucky with someone where I get along with before that feeling of artificialness makes room for a feeling of doing something quite normal.

I also dont have a picture posted, simply for the fact that I am fond of my privacy and for the reason that a relationship should be based on an attractive personality rather than attractive face. So also for other reasons than privacy I prefer to use words alone to attract. I guess my profile is a bit boring as it includes lot of politics and somehow women seem to be less into this than men ; however I am not going to lie about myself, I am a political person and I don't see the point in hiding that just out of fear to be considered boring.

A question for all of you out there ... Have you guys and girls have better experience with local dating sites than with the international ones? I can imagine outside of the English speaking world people may be more rapid to create a profile on a local dating site aimed at their own linguistic or geographical area. While I do see OKcupid, PlentyofFish etc have users globally, I am quite wondering how many % of people outside the English speaking world would consider using these sites over a local service. I am not a native but I live in Eastern Europe and when judging the level of English of the average person here, I have the feeling that I may miss out on really nice girls who simply don't bother with international sites and immediately sign up at more local profile pages (most countries have their own tiny MySpace or Facebook esque profile page, and maybe this is something worth checking out rather than the global sites where the majority of users will be from the anglosaxon countries ?)

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:55 pm

I've found great penpals internationally; I can't knock it. Not having a picture does hurt your chances, I'm afraid - it's nerve-wracking, but if you're serious about doing it... why do it half-assed?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

kbergren21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2008, 10:39 pm

Zara wrote:
There's plentyoffish.com too.

That's where I met my WOW obsessed wife!