Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 3:23 am

College is the best stage in life for finding a potential mate, you won't get that opportunity later.

Diamond_Head
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2008, 3:29 pm

College is a great place to meet people and make new friends. All four years of undergrad college were enjoyable for me. Pretty much the only time when you'll be around such a massive concentration of people your own age, and most of them will generally be pretty friendly.

However, you also have to factor in what your major is. If you are majoring in astrophysics or molecular biology, your social schedule will probably be somewhat less active than if you major in basket weaving, and therefore your dating prospects may be lessened depending on how much time and dedication your degree requires.

Just take it as it goes, and see if you feel like dating (and if you have the free time) as the semester progresses.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 4:01 pm

Diamond_Head wrote:
College is a great place to meet people and make new friends. All four years of undergrad college were enjoyable for me. Pretty much the only time when you'll be around such a massive concentration of people your own age, and most of them will generally be pretty friendly.

For me, it's a massive concentration of guys my own age. It is enjoyable in that the classes I have are all subjects that I enjoy, I can sit in the back and do some gaming (which actually increases my attention span, since my brain is actually engaged), and the people there are all techies like me, meaning less of the jock population that used to bully me in high school. But alas, still no girlfriend...

Quote:
However, you also have to factor in what your major is. If you are majoring in astrophysics or molecular biology, your social schedule will probably be somewhat less active than if you major in basket weaving, and therefore your dating prospects may be lessened depending on how much time and dedication your degree requires.

You also have to factor in the school you go to. I went to a tech institute within reasonable driving distance from my house, so that I wouldn't have to pay room and board, but could still get a decent education. I plan on graduating with <$20,000 (hopefully <$15,000) in debt, meaning I wont have to spend the next 10 years of my life pissing away money paying it off...

Unfortunately, owing to all but 4 of the majors (history, liberal arts, mathematics, and architecture) having the words "science", "engineering", or "technology" in the name means that not many women are attracted to such a school. On a higher note, though, the few women that are enrolled tend to be more technically inclined, and more easily understandable for people like me.

Diamond_Head
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2008, 5:11 pm

Quote:
You also have to factor in the school you go to. I went to a tech institute within reasonable driving distance from my house, so that I wouldn't have to pay room and board, but could still get a decent education. I plan on graduating with <$20,000 (hopefully <$15,000) in debt, meaning I wont have to spend the next 10 years of my life pissing away money paying it off...

Unfortunately, owing to all but 4 of the majors (history, liberal arts, mathematics, and architecture) having the words "science", "engineering", or "technology" in the name means that not many women are attracted to such a school. On a higher note, though, the few women that are enrolled tend to be more technically inclined, and more easily understandable for people like me.

Very true. The nature of the school itself plays a role. The social interaction scene at a large public university will probably be different than the scene at a smaller technical college with specific majors in tech fields. But, like you said, at the tech school you'll find people with interests closer to your own.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:33 pm

But also, as I said, there are far fewer women around...

Not to mention being a commuter also seriously limits the amount of time I spend on campus... most of the time, I'm at my church, where I have a whole social community that is very supportive, but unfortunately I'm the only representative of the 18-30 age range...

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:37 pm

I don't know about other campuses, but at my college, Frosty the Snowman has a better chance of lasting ten minutes in Hell than I would at finding a date. :x

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:41 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Too bad I go to a college with a 4:1 male to female ratio... such is the sacrifice I have to make to get a good IT degree...

On the flip side, most on-campus activities other than the career fairs are gamer tournaments, usually around Halo, Super Smash Bros, and Guitar hero...

You can do well in the IT industry without having to attend a practically all-male school unless you're planning on a doctorate in computer science.

Generally, the stuff you do in college is harder, a lot harder, (at least conceptually) from the stuff you'll probably be doing most of the time at work in IT.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:42 pm

Praetorius wrote:
Dating in college is like total easymode... These girls are finally free from their parents and they want to do all of the things that they couldn't do at home. They go around buying things like there's no tomorrow, they go to parties all the time, and they go around looking to get... Ah, I can't say it. I've already been warned that I'm about to be banned.

You just have to play the game. They want to play it with you; they want to be seduced.

If only this were true.

They may want to be seduced by someone, but for most women, the quirky aspie guy probably isn't the one.

Praetorius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2008, 7:59 pm

You have to stop being the quirky aspie guy! You must become an alpha male in their eyes!

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:32 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
Too bad I go to a college with a 4:1 male to female ratio... such is the sacrifice I have to make to get a good IT degree...

On the flip side, most on-campus activities other than the career fairs are gamer tournaments, usually around Halo, Super Smash Bros, and Guitar hero...

You can do well in the IT industry without having to attend a practically all-male school unless you're planning on a doctorate in computer science.

Generally, the stuff you do in college is harder, a lot harder, (at least conceptually) from the stuff you'll probably be doing most of the time at work in IT.

I'm not planning on a doctorate in comp sci, I just wanted to go to a college that was in driving distance from my house so I didn't have to spend money on room and board...

Is there anyone in the IT industry that can tell me if it gets any easier once college is over?

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:50 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:

I'm not planning on a doctorate in comp sci, I just wanted to go to a college that was in driving distance from my house so I didn't have to spend money on room and board...

Is there anyone in the IT industry that can tell me if it gets any easier once college is over?

I work for the IT department at my school, so I can't give you the answer you're looking for, however, I can tell you that if you have a degree then the type of job you look for, will give you much greater chances.

per me, I'll be doing some internship next summer, (most juniors there summer to Senior year do internships) I'm a writing lit major, so there aren't really that many positions open out there, one would think, however, for the fact that I work for the IT department at my college, that opens up other fields. Per instance, one of the groups I'm looking at is the FBI, it's a summer internship in DC, and if they like what you do, then there is a chance for you to get hired. Now one would ask what exactly would a writing lit major do for the FBI? Well, one of two things, A) Political Relations/Press Releases or B) since I have experience with working with computers, then something involved with computers, tapping maybe, or bugging, something along the lines. I have experience in martial arts, since i took six years (4 in one place, 2 in another) of Karate/Taekwondo and Kenpo, (though I think they probably have martial arts training there as part of the internship) which depending on how good one is at that, then body guard duty, for people such as the president. Another internship I'm looking at is Boeing; that's enough said right there, Boeing. I'm a writing lit major, so probably somewhere in a basement somewhere, writing papers up, or Press Releases. Another one I'm looking at is Evergreen Aviation (for those of you not familiar with them, they're the ones in Oregon who have the museum with the Spruce Goose) they have various contracts, one of which is military, but mostly civilian related.

Right now, I have a week til school starts, once school starts, I'm working on getting another thing down that could be helpful, my Mac Technical license. For those of you not familiar with that licence, once you have it, after having completed whatever tests it requires, you are a certified mac technician, able to work on anything Apple related. So per instance if I were to go into a Mac/Apple store and apply, I would be placed on the next rung up pay scale wise because of that licence.

Now as far as dating goes? Find a school where you think it'll work for you. I applied to one school, got in and as they say, "the rest is history."

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2008, 10:45 pm

Ummm... Praetorius? You got me pegged on the wrong gender here. I'm a girl, and I'm straight. I'm not interesting in seducing other girls. Nor am I interested in being seduced.

Are the only people who ask for advice in this forum guys?

Thanks everyone for the imput, except for Praetorius, who's information woudl probably be appreciated if I were a guy, or lesbian.