Nice Guys and Love, what's your take on the issue

Page 74 of 78 [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 10:27 pm

deltafunction wrote:
Makes up stories? Really, I wouldn't go so far as to insult a whole field.
I would when the 'field' is evo psych. Specially when the insult is that it "makes stories up" as it is precisely what it does :/

deltafunction wrote:
What these guys did was survey and observe over 10000 people in 37 different countries, then they explained their take on the results..

By making stories up.

It is a pseudoscience. The "sciencish" part is to make a survey. The pseudo part comes from the leap to conclusions in an attempt to "explain" the survey results. Why do men like blue over red? I bet it is because men used to hunt blue dinosaurs whilst women stayed at home. With time men worse the blue dinosaur's skins to remember how they hunted the dinosaurs. And the man with the blue-st skin would gain more rank. Hence men were selected naturally to like blue.

Stauffenberg
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2012, 10:06 am

hyperlexian wrote:
deltafunction wrote:
As for women wanting to secure resources in long-term relationships, even high-earning women tend to want to marry men who are earning more than she is. But the point is that women want a long term partner who will devote a majority of his resources to herself or the family. This is shown by women's dislike of "stingy" men, women getting jealous when a man devotes his resources to another woman, women looking for men who are hardworking and smart because of their future earning potential, women disliking men who are unemployed or divorcing when her husband becomes unemployed, etc.

this is not really true, because in modern society people tend to marry others of equal socioeconomic status (that assortative mating i was talking about). if men do earn slightly more than women in a marriage, that is usually due to the fact that women earn less for the same jobs, or the women reduce hours or took time off to care for the family. but at the point of marriage, the income is usually relatively comparable (taking into account the gender wage gap).

(also, some women might be seduced by money, but that doesn't make it a gender-wide instinct based on evolutionary factors. women were not dependent on men until agricultural societies became common, and in prehistoric societies private property was rare.)

Don't forget that the behaviors involved aren't exclusively geared toward marriage or 'unoffical' long term relationships. There are some studies that suggest that women who can't successfully compete for a long term relations ship with an 'alpha male' would still have an affair / one night stand with that type of man, while choosing a more compliant man as provider for her and any children. I read a book on this. It was most interesting. :D

OlivG
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 10:47 am

Stauffenberg wrote:
would still have an affair / one night stand with that type of man, while choosing a more compliant man as provider for her and any children.

Behold, adventurer! This is the DNA test, the bane of sluts!

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:23 am

Stauffenberg wrote:
Don't forget that the behaviors involved aren't exclusively geared toward marriage or 'unoffical' long term relationships. There are some studies that suggest that women who can't successfully compete for a long term relations ship with an 'alpha male' would still have an affair / one night stand with that type of man, while choosing a more compliant man as provider for her and any children. I read a book on this. It was most interesting. :D

Yep. It's often referred to as a "dual mating strategy"... and I was the poor sap paying for her to live with me while she gave more sex to other hunky alpha men. I don't know if I'll ever fully recover from her incredible treachery, :(

Mishra2012 wrote:
I want a man that is introverted, RESPECTFUL, HONEST, compassionate, values good communication and capable of it to me that's a real "nice guy".

Live anywhere near western Canada? ;)

Last edited by BlueMax on 13 Aug 2012, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:41 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
deltafunction wrote:
As for women wanting to secure resources in long-term relationships, even high-earning women tend to want to marry men who are earning more than she is. But the point is that women want a long term partner who will devote a majority of his resources to herself or the family. This is shown by women's dislike of "stingy" men, women getting jealous when a man devotes his resources to another woman, women looking for men who are hardworking and smart because of their future earning potential, women disliking men who are unemployed or divorcing when her husband becomes unemployed, etc.

this is not really true, because in modern society people tend to marry others of equal socioeconomic status (that assortative mating i was talking about). if men do earn slightly more than women in a marriage, that is usually due to the fact that women earn less for the same jobs, or the women reduce hours or took time off to care for the family. but at the point of marriage, the income is usually relatively comparable (taking into account the gender wage gap).

(also, some women might be seduced by money, but that doesn't make it a gender-wide instinct based on evolutionary factors. women were not dependent on men until agricultural societies became common, and in prehistoric societies private property was rare.)

quite often the men they sleep with "on the side" are no more "alpha" (by the terms described on teh interwebz) than the husband, though. the other man doesn't have to be studly, and often isn't. frequently it is a man who listens/pays attention/provides the much-desired affection or sex that the long-term partner is no longer interested in.

men and women are cheating in almost equal rates. women are cheating more than they ever have, and the rate is approaching the rates of men's infidelity.

EDIT: here is a good description of whati mean:

Quote:
That said, men are more likely to cite sexual motivations for infidelity and are less likely to fall in love with an extramarital partner, says Helen Fisher, PhD, a biological anthropologist at Rutgers University and the author of Why Him? Why Her? and Why We Love.

Women tend to have an emotional connection with their lover and are more likely to have an affair because of loneliness, Fisher says.

"Women tend to be more unhappy with the relationship they are in ... while men can be a lot happier in their primary relationship and also cheat," Fisher tells WebMD. "Women are more interested in supplementing their marriage or jumping ship than men are -- for men, it is a secondary strategy as opposed to an alternate.".

http://women.webmd.com/features/why-do-women-cheat

Stauffenberg

13 Aug 2012, 3:03 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Yep. It's often referred to as a "dual mating strategy"... and I was the poor sap paying for her to live with me while she gave more sex to other hunky alpha men. I don't know if I'll ever fully recover from her incredible treachery, :()

Man that sucks. :x Whatever truth lies in that biological impulses are behind such behavior, they aren't strong enough overcome our will. So it's a temptation, and your morals or lack there of, decides how you choose.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 10:38 pm

cozysweater wrote:
I'm coming to this late so I admit that I haven't read all the posts. I've dated almost exclusively "nice guys" and I can tell you that their main failing is that they're basically just too scared to be jerks out in the open. So yeah, they have manners. But they're also manipulative and mopey and they need constant ego-boosting and... seriously, they're a lot of work. They have little pouty tantrums if things don't go the way they want them to and they retaliate for perceived slights that may or may not exist by making you feel bad about yourself rather than just saying "listen, you did something that upset me" like a grown-ass man.
They want their cake and they want to eat it too. Be jerks but still get to be "sensitive" and "evolved" and most importantly never have to take a punch to the groin for their jerkiness.

Agreed entirely.

Many "nice guys" are actually jerks in disguise. Or they project the same negativity in a different way. Or they are desperate and they think flattery gets them laid.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:30 pm

someone care to remind me why this is still around?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 2:23 am

OlivG wrote:
Stauffenberg wrote:
would still have an affair / one night stand with that type of man, while choosing a more compliant man as provider for her and any children.

Behold, adventurer! This is the DNA test, the bane of sluts!

Also the bane of men who want to deny their paternity! It used to be commonplace for men who wished to get out of parenthood to claim that their wife or girlfriend had been unfaithful and that the child wasn't theirs. That no longer flies.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 5:34 am

Praetorius wrote:
KingChaosNinja wrote:
Nice guys do finish last, but they do still finish.
Yeah, with ugly girls.

And this is when I have a problem with the Nice Guy stereotype...when someone mentions going out with an ugly girl.

Instead of chasing something you can never get, why not go for someone realistic and flawed but something that you can relate to spiritually and emotionally?

No offence of course, but going for woman out of reach maybe the problem Nice Guys are having.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 8:44 am

Also, and this is in line with what Praetorius said, the good guys usually end up with either the girls no one wants physically, or the one who have so much baggage from chasing as*holes that they drown the good guy in it and leave them to take care of kids that aren't theirs and all the while, they show no affection or warmth to the guy whatsoever. I've seen it happen far, far too many times.

Stauffenberg

15 Aug 2012, 8:49 am

DialAForAwesome wrote:
Also, and this is in line with what Praetorius said, the good guys usually end up with either the girls no one wants physically, or the one who have so much baggage from chasing as*holes that they drown the good guy in it and leave them to take care of kids that aren't theirs and all the while, they show no affection or warmth to the guy whatsoever. I've seen it happen far, far too many times.

Yup. It's hopeless. :cry: Stay safe and happy with hookers and masturbation. :wink:

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 9:55 am

CrazyStarlightRedux wrote:
Praetorius wrote:
KingChaosNinja wrote:
Nice guys do finish last, but they do still finish.
Yeah, with ugly girls.

And this is when I have a problem with the Nice Guy stereotype...when someone mentions going out with an ugly girl.

Instead of chasing something you can never get, why not go for someone realistic and flawed but something that you can relate to spiritually and emotionally?

No offence of course, but going for woman out of reach maybe the problem Nice Guys are having.

True. Why won`t that girl I like so much like me? Because she doesn`t. Nevertheless it shouldn't stop you from some try.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 1:32 pm

If your only criterion for what makes a woman attractive is that she looks like a supermodel, then you're not nice. You might, however, be a Nice Guy.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 2:24 pm

LKL wrote:
If your only criterion for what makes a woman attractive is that she looks like a supermodel, then you're not nice. You might, however, be a Nice Guy.

But that's not the *only* criterion!

~cue faux outrage at implied shallowness~

to his Interest."

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 2:29 pm

id love to see an 82page thread that attacked women as bluntly as is happening here.