why I chose my Aspie husband

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

the_wife
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2009, 12:17 pm

Quick background and prelude to my topic - I'm an NT woman married to an Aspie man. Figured things out about 6 years ago, got a diagnosis about 3 years ago.

Yes, he can be clueless. Yes, he can make me feel invisible. Yes, I sometimes worry when he's alone taking care of the kids (not so much now as they are 15, 13, and 9).

But when I look back on things, I realize that he was the ideal choice for me when we started dating. Prior to meeting my husband, I'd had other boyfriends/loves. My first love was rather torrid and all-consuming and ended quite messily.

After that, I put up the proverbial walls, not wanting to be so consumed by another and also not wanting another to be so consumed by me. As I did move on to other relationships, I realize now that I let them end when I felt they were getting too serious, when I felt that the guys were being too attentive.

Enter the Aspie husband - PERFECT!

So in his defense, as I struggle with his inattentiveness, I do know that I am also a part of this dance. I chose him because of the "feedom" that being married to an Aspie allows, even though I didn't know anything about Asperger's at the time we got married.

I'm just curious about other NT's here on this forum. What do you think it was that led you to love/marry your Aspie partner?

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2009, 12:49 pm

I hooked up with my Aspie (or broader autistic phenotype) boyfriend because we seemed to have more or less compatible nerdy personalities, we seemed to be on a similar page at the time in terms of what we did *not* want in love (to rush into sex, to have a tumultuous relationship with poor communication), we had common interests, and because my tendency to be a little blunt and selfish did not seem to bother him much. In fact, with much of our communication being verbal and straightforward, and anything non-verbal being supplemented with verbal communication when necessary, I think our relationship is a lot healthier in the communication department than a lot of NT/NT relationships. When we have a conflict, we can both be logical about it and work it out. And while he's actually the more emotionally needy one, he gives me my space when I ask for it. He can understand the need for space, as he is a fellow introvert and often needs to retreat from situations that get too heated or otherwise out of control.

So, in the end, it was a temperamental compatibility. The Aspieness may have helped insofar as it contributed to his temperament, but otherwise, it doesn't seem to interfere with our relationship much. We do have issues, like anyone, and they seem to be a unique-to-him combination of temperament and the Asperger influence on his personal and social development, but we're quite adept at working out issues. I almost find working out conflicts to be the best part of the relationship - it makes things interesting.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 1:28 pm

One question, where do we go to meet and attract an NT girlfriend. How do we go about doing do?

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2009, 1:33 pm

cyberscan wrote:
One question, where do we go to meet and attract an NT girlfriend. How do we go about doing do?

Meet them through your interests/hobbies. That's how my bf and I met. We were both interested in astronomy and pop psychology, and he had an NT friend who knew me through pop psychology and told me about him.

DITZY72
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2009, 1:35 pm

I was attracted to his honest and tender nature. He's a total gentlemen. We seem to want long term the sames things in a marriage/relationship.

But he makes me crazy.... cause I feel like 95% of the time I'm carrying the relationship. If I didn't already care so deeply for him I would probably throw my hands up and quit. But I hang in there hoping we will find a happy medium. Hopefully it will grow to a commitment like marriage.... right now I don't know how you girls get to the altar with these men.

I will say though I think if this grows to that point it will work out to be a great union. Since I tend to overcommit to things and his need for space and not being insecure of were I am and what I'm doing and wanting me in his hip pocket all the time will work out wonderfully. And we will both be happy with the balance. But right now when he's not around or calling I feel desperatley insecure. Hoping for a happy medium soon he really is an awesome man.

the_wife

02 Jul 2009, 1:43 pm

[One question, where do we go to meet and attract an NT girlfriend. How do we go about doing do?]

Yes, like GITW said, meet them through your interests and hobbies. My husband and I met in college - same major (engineering - go figure!) and we also have other interests in common. We do have our differences, naturally. I'm an extrovert, for example, but I've always been attracted to the quiet types.

the_wife

02 Jul 2009, 1:56 pm

DITZY72 wrote:
But he makes me crazy.... cause I feel like 95% of the time I'm carrying the relationship.

Oh, I hear you DITZY72! This is very much the case with me too, and I think very common with Aspie/NT marriages.

High maintenance people should not partner up with Aspies, just sayin'!

On the other hand, my husband is very logical and honest. He doesn't really know otherwise. He sometimes will try to pretend to by more NT, to "fit in", and I am constantly asking him to just relax and be himself.

DITZY72
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2009, 2:35 pm

he loses track of time... and he's told me this is a problem...but like we will get together for dinner and he will say was this past weekend of the weekend before that I seen you last... meanwhile I'm fully aware of the fact that two weeks has past. He's worth the stress though... cause when we are together the world is right.

ddunkin

02 Jul 2009, 3:19 pm

DITZY72 wrote:
But he makes me crazy.... cause I feel like 95% of the time I'm carrying the relationship.

This is what my wife felt prior to my diagnosis, we'd been together five years before that and been through a few decent arguments over the years. Now that she understands, and has confirmation that I am not angry at her when I am short with her, things have been just amazing. She can now recognize the things that I actively do for her much better now and can see that I express my caring in different ways.

She is high maintenance in some ways, thankfully she has a great group of friends and family that she can go to for support on things that I just don't 'get' (emotional related issues). I could see this an issue if her situation was different.

Occasionally, she just could not understand my reaction to being interrupted from mind-intense tasks (work, hobbies, etc), and that my short response was just to avoid losing concentration.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 5:10 pm

the_wife wrote:
Quick background and prelude to my topic - I'm an NT woman married to an Aspie man. Figured things out about 6 years ago, got a diagnosis about 3 years ago.

Yes, he can be clueless. Yes, he can make me feel invisible. Yes, I sometimes worry when he's alone taking care of the kids (not so much now as they are 15, 13, and 9).

But when I look back on things, I realize that he was the ideal choice for me when we started dating. Prior to meeting my husband, I'd had other boyfriends/loves. My first love was rather torrid and all-consuming and ended quite messily.

After that, I put up the proverbial walls, not wanting to be so consumed by another and also not wanting another to be so consumed by me. As I did move on to other relationships, I realize now that I let them end when I felt they were getting too serious, when I felt that the guys were being too attentive.

Enter the Aspie husband - PERFECT!

So in his defense, as I struggle with his inattentiveness, I do know that I am also a part of this dance. I chose him because of the "feedom" that being married to an Aspie allows, even though I didn't know anything about Asperger's at the time we got married.

I'm just curious about other NT's here on this forum. What do you think it was that led you to love/marry your Aspie partner?

I like that story, you found the right man alright. Sometimes I wonder if all guys are aspies and don't realize it. I can be a little too honest sometimes, but that's because I don't tell myself a lie, I leave that up to other people. I come off as less of an AS all the time, but I won't let that side of me go, thanks for the encouragment.

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 5:24 pm

the_wife wrote:
I chose him because of the "freedom" that being married to an Aspie allows, even though I didn't know anything about Asperger's at the time we got married.

What freedom? What is freer about us than NT people? :?:

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2009, 5:32 pm

ddunkin wrote:
Occasionally, she just could not understand my reaction to being interrupted from mind-intense tasks (work, hobbies, etc), and that my short response was just to avoid losing concentration.

I do that one too, but I normally manage to tell people I need to concentrate so it works out fine. My best friend (NT) can instantly tell if I'm distracted while instant messaging.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 6:19 pm

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:
the_wife wrote:
I chose him because of the "freedom" that being married to an Aspie allows, even though I didn't know anything about Asperger's at the time we got married.

What freedom? What is freer about us than NT people? :?:

I think she means "freer" as in...we're not up their ass all the time, like alot of NT guys are. Also, we appreciate some alone time ourselves, and respect theirs' as well.

Those who know, don't speak.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 6:26 pm

GhostsInTheWallpaper wrote:
cyberscan wrote:

Meet them through your interests/hobbies. That's how my bf and I met. We were both interested in astronomy and pop psychology, and he had an NT friend who knew me through pop psychology and told me about him.

That, plus they have to learn to be patient. I hear alot of aspie guys complaining about being single, and they not even 25 yet. 8O They recognize that they are behind in dating/socializing skills, yet expect to be in a loving relationship by the same time as most NTs. The math just doesn't work, in general. Wait til your 35 before you start complaining, or you'll just make yourself miserable, waiting.

Do some research while your waiting, and find things that'll help you with your future relationships. There's always room for improvement, and plenty of time to learn. :wink:

Those who know, don't speak.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 6:43 pm

I take juggling lessons, sure lots of cute girls show up, but I'm in it for the life skills.

KittenWithAWhip
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 12:07 am

^ :lol: