Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 11:16 am

Hi how are you? I'm zer0. :D

It's been a while since there has been a large well organized meet in London. Around seven years ago, I organized a couple of fairly large meetups, as well as attending several others.

Let's make this one actually happen!

I have created a survey for those wanting to meet up in mid Jan-Feb:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Y8SRZW9

I have been to some organized as well as impromptu meets of various communities. I have found the small impromptu ones more useful for developing social skills, however they are very hard to pull off because you are asking a lot of people, I think larger more formal meet are good way of meeting people and actually making a successful meet, then maybe impromptu meets can follow.

There have been several efforts to organize meets over the years that have fell through, and few minor meets on occasion, but surprisingly little has happened in that last few years as far as I'm aware. I think this is for a number reasons (which I'm also guilty of):

- Lack of intent, they don't happen on their own, and without effort
- Lack or of planing / sufficient detail / leadership
- Too unfocused. Many ideas, dates and no process to filter them down
- Lack of commitment of those wanting to meet up. There is a tendency of folk to "wait a see". The problem with this is if too many people do this it falls through because nobody commits.
- Uncertainty and not properly addressing the daunting nature of meeting up, and also general access issues.
- Not bothering to contact people who might be interested

My most successful WP meet up ever, was well organized: There were two rendezvous at specific times, technically three as we stayed in the same building for a period, and this was given a minimum time. I made detailed maps of Waterloo station, and the South bank, with routes specifically marked to avoid most crowed parts.

Later on in the day things were a bit more informal, as that is the nature of meets, but we already had options though.

Another reason why it was such a success, is I took some time to find and contact people regionally to make them aware that there was meetup happening. In subsequent meets I didn't make the same degree of effort.

So I plan to repeat this success.

At this early stage there needs to be something to focus down dates, preferences, transport, rendezvous and access. So I created a short survey to help:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Y8SRZW9

Please fill it out if you wish to attend.

I had to be realistic based on what I would be able to organize, and not being too open ended. This is the beginning of the process. So there could be a second survey, to hone the plan further.

Those not from London
Nobody is excluded from meeting up. As long as you can take care of yourself, or you bring a legal guardian, you can come. If you aren't from these parts, of course you are welcome to come. Even if you aren't from the UK, so long as you can get here.

The expense of getting there is an issue I'm aware of. Going by Coach is probably the cheapest if you are traveling far, it obviously isn't the nicest experience, but it is an option for some.

--- aside ---

If you are wondering why meets tend to be in the South East, they might not be as many successful meets as you might think. Besides you can organize meets yourself, I'm not special and I can do it. If you want tips then contact me.

I was in Manchester recently, and the areas of Salford and Deansgate would be absolutely perfect for a meet up, especially the amazing Museum of Science an Industry, as well as being a great for rendezvous as it is not as cramped and crowded London's Science Museum. If I was able to get up there again, I would in a flash. Also transport around the city is cheaper, sometime free. I think also Liverpool, Birmingham, etc have potential. If you want to discuss other meets do so, just open you own discussion, so we keep thing on topic here.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 11:45 pm

Long time, no see, 0 Equals True.
I seem to recall going to that successful meetup you mention. Long time ago though.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 11:49 pm

good luck with your meet. Maybe one day I will do one in Moose Jaw.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 4:56 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I seem to recall going to that successful meetup you mention. Long time ago though.

Long time indeed :)

Yes, wasn't there also one in Winchester you went to, or some place, but that was another initiative.

Yes the South Bank one was the first one, I did.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 5:21 pm

Thanks to those that have filled out the survey thus far.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 8:08 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

Long time indeed :)

Yes, wasn't there also one in Winchester you went to, or some place, but that was another initiative.

Yes the South Bank one was the first one, I did.

No, don't think I ever got to a Winchester one. I cannot remember if I went to 2 in London or not.
I finally got officially diagnosed in the meantime, which is a good thing.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 6:56 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
[No, don't think I ever got to a Winchester one. I cannot remember if I went to 2 in London or not.

That is good. :)

This is the one I meant:
wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42274

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 10:53 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
[No, don't think I ever got to a Winchester one. I cannot remember if I went to 2 in London or not.

That is good. :)

This is the one I meant:
wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42274

How strange is that? That is totally gone from my memory... obviously it happened and I went, but I have forgotten it entirely. That is a bit disturbing, lol.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 12:40 pm

Thank you to all that responded thus far :)

If you want to see the result of the survey so far:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-JSHJDXBV/

It is a looking like the 21st of Febuary is the most popular at the moment, and 22nd in a near second place.

I will pm people in a week or so to get updates. Any statements of intent I would greately appreciate, as it makes it easier for those that are maybe not sure about going, to be reasured, by those that want to go.

Khyrean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2015, 8:32 am

Oh, I think that's a great idea.
I wish I could go but I just moved away from London.

I hope it goes well !

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:43 pm

no worries.

Grovepark
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jan 2015, 5:22 pm

I'd be interested in going, but we have problems finding someone to watch the dogs as one is "special"

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 6:36 am

Grovepark wrote:
I'd be interested in going, but we have problems finding someone to watch the dogs as one is "special"

Everybody's dog is special, but seriously in what way?

KateCoco
Raven
Raven

17 Jan 2015, 11:03 am

Thanks for sorting this out, 0_equals_true. I'm looking forward to it!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 5:47 am

That's ok :D

SuperInferior
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2015, 4:30 pm

Hi,

I'm definitely interested! =]
0_equals_true and I have chatted and we figured I may as well throw this suggestion out there.
I currently organise meets across England through fb, for what I coin the Socially Unusual (which seems to draw in a lot of people on the spectrum and a wonderful array of geeks).

I'm currently set to do two on both Feb 21st & 22nd, in the West Midlands, unfortunately!!

However, I am keen to be involved in these, and if it is of interest to anyone, perhaps we could merge these meets with my current ones. Mine have been very successful so far, with the turn out for the early Jan one of around 25-30.

I know this might not suit everyone, and not all of you are on fb, but it's an option to have these meets maybe cross over at times. I could then keep people updated on here of planned events (or take on suggestions) if desired?

If anyone wanted to check out the fb group feel free to here:https://www.facebook.com/groups/419637708186066/

I need your help to make a change!

AQ: 35 (8/10), SQ: 81, EQ: 12, FQ: 82,
RAADS-R: 179 (Language: 18, Social: 77, Sensory/Motor:49, Interests: 35)
Alexithymia: 167

Alexithymia forum: http://alexithymia.createaforum.com/