Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Mapofsteel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2019, 6:53 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Mapofsteel wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Are you assuming, by the way, that there are only two genders "determined at birth"?

Are you aware of the existence of people who are born intersex? (See Intersex Society of America and the relevant Wikipedia page.) Many, though by no means all, transgender people were actually born intersex.

Yes, this is what I am saying. Also, those born intersex are actually only one sex, they just were born with the birth defect of having the genitals of both sexes.

Not so simple. How do you decide what their actual "one sex" is? By genes? Some intersex people have "mosaic genetics" -- some cells containing XY and other cells containing XX.

Mapofsteel wrote:
This can be easily corrected by surgery once the correct sex has been determined.

Not so easy, not so simple. Many intersex people, upon growing up, feel that they were assigned the wrong sex via said surgery. Also, some intersex people already, at birth, appear to have external sex organs of just one sex, but have internal sex organs of the opposite sex, which doesn't become known until later in life.

Feelings do not matter. Only the scientific work to determine biological sex during infancy by doctors does. Ditto with transgender people. They are still the same sex they are when they were born, and nothing can change that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 11:27 pm

Mapofsteel wrote:
I don’t want any opposite sex friends and I don’t want any same sex friends that have opposite sex friends either. I need to know that there are many others just like me, AS and NT alike, that feel the same way. And I will not honor or tolerate any of my friends choices to have opposite sex friends.

You're going to have to realize that no, there actually aren't many like you. Even other people who might not prefer the company of the opposite sex themselves don't usually insist that none of their friends can have friends of the opposite gender.

Get used to be alone in the world, because you are choosing a path that will ensure you remain that way.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 11:29 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Mapofsteel wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Are you assuming, by the way, that there are only two genders "determined at birth"?

Are you aware of the existence of people who are born intersex? (See Intersex Society of America and the relevant Wikipedia page.) Many, though by no means all, transgender people were actually born intersex.

Yes, this is what I am saying. Also, those born intersex are actually only one sex, they just were born with the birth defect of having the genitals of both sexes.

Not so simple. How do you decide what their actual "one sex" is? By genes? Some intersex people have "mosaic genetics" -- some cells containing XY and other cells containing XX.

Mapofsteel wrote:
This can be easily corrected by surgery once the correct sex has been determined.

Not so easy, not so simple. Many intersex people, upon growing up, feel that they were assigned the wrong sex via said surgery. Also, some intersex people already, at birth, appear to have external sex organs of just one sex, but have internal sex organs of the opposite sex, which doesn't become known until later in life.

You're arguing with someone who's made it clear he thinks he understands what gender people are better than they themselves do if they disregard his opinion. You can't correct someone who's absolutely dedicated to being incorrect.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 8:49 am

Mapofsteel wrote:
Feelings do not matter. Only the scientific work to determine biological sex during infancy by doctors does. Ditto with transgender people. They are still the same sex they are when they were born, and nothing can change that.

Even if you dismiss feelings as 100% irrelevant, my point is that intersex people have physically ambiguous gender. There is NO physical criterion that can reliably determine biological gender for all intersex people. If you think there is, what is it? Please re-read what I wrote, quoted below:

Mona Pereth wrote:

Mona Pereth wrote:
Also, some intersex people already, at birth, appear to have external sex organs of just one sex, but have internal sex organs of the opposite sex, which doesn't become known until later in life.

- Finally diagnosed with ASD in May 2019, after having suspected it for over ten years, and after having deeply explored the autism community for over one year while waiting for and obtaining diagnosis.
- In longterm relationship with boyfriend who was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 2001.
- Long history of participation in various oddball subcultures.
- My "Getting to know each other" thread: Hello from NYC.

Pip007
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2019, 11:19 pm

If my father had any female friends there would have been hell to pay, by my mom.

QFT
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2019, 12:45 am

banana247 wrote:
I can't say I'm particularly opposed to opposite sex friends, but it's probably safe to say that I'm indifferent about having them. I gravitate toward girls for sure - I know that I long for their approval and also crave their guidance and support. I suppose I'm not that good at "being a girl", so I've got that longing for "sisters" who can watch out for me and teach me. It's still pretty hard for me to assimilate, but even when i make guy friends, i still prefer the girls.

I am a guy but I want mainly female friends, and the things I just quoted you saying, I could have said myself! I think both genders want female friends, so females are lucky that they were born into a situation where it is more acceptable for them to have them. I also wish I had sisters to guide me and teach me, but, as a guy, I can't really ask for it. So I feel like I am missing out.