How do I make real life friends with bad issues (in desc.)?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Gunarchist
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2019, 6:46 am

So I basically share almost nothing in common with any Australians near me (even including values), our people are super conformist and bossy, in conjunction with guns and anarchism being my only main interests which really conflicts with our culture.. I want to find friends who I don't have to hide those things from, who are okay with my autism, and won't be rude to me for being affected by trauma. It doesn't help that lots of Australians don't know much about mental health, but only the social justice side of it which has corrupted it for autistic people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 7:20 am

I can still be friends with someone who is into guns or anarchism....as long as they respect that I’m not into guns or anarchism.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 11:13 am

Usually, when people are rude to you about your mental disorder, it could mean a few things

1. They have issues with themselves that make them feel insecure
2. It depends on your culture over there and their core beliefs
3. They could just be people with egos who think they know everything and always do what they can to prove they are right

Also, keep in mind that mental illness is often stigmatized or demonized because of biased and flawed information that's not evidence-based. That is true right here in the US as well too.

As for meeting people, what are your other interests? Maybe find some clubs or groups where people share your interests?

Gunarchist
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2019, 11:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can still be friends with someone who is into guns or anarchism....as long as they respect that I’m not into guns or anarchism.

Nice, that's good to hear.

Gunarchist
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2019, 11:41 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Usually, when people are rude to you about your mental disorder, it could mean a few things

1. They have issues with themselves that make them feel insecure
2. It depends on your culture over there and their core beliefs
3. They could just be people with egos who think they know everything and always do what they can to prove they are right

Also, keep in mind that mental illness is often stigmatized or demonized because of biased and flawed information that's not evidence-based. That is true right here in the US as well too.

As for meeting people, what are your other interests? Maybe find some clubs or groups where people share your interests?

I know the US has some mental health stigma, its just that quite a lot of Australians are rather ignorant and too casual to think deeply.. However, I don't really have other interests admittedly. I play guitar and love traditional country music but country music here is mainly nationalist which I don't like much.