Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

cld1990
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2021, 6:38 pm

When there is a lull in a conversation, I tend to try to get it going again with a "did you know...?" fact. I only have this problem with people who aren't close friends. It's hit or miss as to whether the strategy works, but either way feels a bit awkward because it's almost always unrelated to previous topics. What other techniques do you use to get a conversation going again?

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Apr 2021, 1:31 am

I noticed I have the same issue with socializing. I start chatting with some innocuous topic, we start talking and then the conversation dries up. This is natural to a degree I guess, but at that point we basically stop talking unless I choose to start talking again. I am undiagnosed and for all I know may not be autistic, but I know I'm different in some way. But nowadays it feels like I am the one putting in the work with social interaction and everyone else simply doesn't reciprocate. Like, I'm supposed to be the loner, but it feels like I'm doing all the talking. And when everyone I talk to simply lets the conversation die and never takes the initiative, I just feel like they must not like me. Maybe I send out a certain vibe without knowing it?