My therapist thinks I can just learn social cues...

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 5:23 am

I posit there is a hard wired friend or foe routine hard wired into humans.
It is very useful to know whether someone you meet is a friend or foe without thinking about it.

IFF Indentification Friend or Foe was developed during WW2 for aircraft.
You don't want to shoot down your own airplanes.

There are more advanced techniques. How do you know someone is a spy or not?
A good test is to see if they like native foods!
Someone claims they are a Pacific Islander who doesn't know much living out in the middle of the Pacific.
Truth or a ruse? Give them a plate of SPAM! Pacific Islanders love to eat SPAM!
A Russain spy? Highly unlikely!

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 5:48 am

BTDT wrote:
I posit there is a hard wired friend or foe routine hard wired into humans.
It is very useful to know whether someone you meet is a friend or foe without thinking about it.

IFF Indentification Friend or Foe was developed during WW2 for aircraft.
You don't want to shoot down your own airplanes.

There are more advanced techniques. How do you know someone is a spy or not?
A good test is to see if they like native foods!
Someone claims they are a Pacific Islander who doesn't know much living out in the middle of the Pacific.
Truth or a ruse? Give them a plate of SPAM! Pacific Islanders love to eat SPAM!
A Russain spy? Highly unlikely!

You can posit whatever you want - it doesn't make it true.

Taking a person already grown up in a culture, and then dumping them into another culture, is not the same thing as someone being raised from birth in a culture different from their genetic heritage. Furthermore, if they've only just arrived, and haven't been there very long, then of course they don't know the specifics of the culture, they haven't been there long enough to learn them yet.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 12:32 pm

Like many here, I often found it awkward to socialize for decades.
But, I discovered when I changed my gender presentation from male to female,
I could do things automatically and the other person would respond without confusion.
Could I have been learning the wrong gender clues?
Maybe my appearance was so feminine no matter what I did that there was a mismatch?
Anyway, socializing is much easier now with random people I don't know.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 11:10 pm

A belated reply to this reply to my post here:

uncommondenominator wrote:
It's rather difficult to know what your limits are, until you bump against them. To arbitrarily decide what your limits are, before you've even found them, is the same thing as self-defeat. Doing so is to decide the limits of your willingness, not the limits of your ability. At that point, you've decided you're not willing to try any more, regardless of whether or not you've actually hit that limit.

Autism and blindness both exist on a spectrum - but I love how autism gets compared to full black-out blindness, as though autistic people are simply incapable of learning the things they have difficulty with - another fine example of self-applied helplessness. Difficult does not mean impossible. Pardon me if I'm not terribly swayed by the "blindness" analogy.

And to be fair, if someone isn't very good with social skills, then they're also probably not very good at gauging social ability - including their own - so even if they do decide that they "can't" learn social skills, they're still hardly the "expert opinion" necessary to actually decide that. It's like saying "I don't know anything about singing, but I know I'll never be a good singer!" - they're hardly an expert on the matter, so how would they know?

One does not need to be an expert to recognize that some people can't carry a tune.

Anyhow, I wasn't talking about "arbitrarily deciding what one's limits are." I was talking about recognizing specific neurological issues. For example, I have a lot of difficulty with multi-tasking -- a difficulty that affects many aspects of my life, not just my social life.

I also didn't mean to advocate that a person should give up on learning social skills of all kinds. But it may be best to find ways to work around one's specific areas of greatest difficulty.

uncommondenominator wrote:
If there's a reason people get burned out, it's cos they invent a thousand unnecessary rules that they've convinced themselves they have to comply with in order to "fit in" or "act normal", and try to achieve these unrealistic and ineffective goals in a matter of days or weeks, with no patience for anything that takes months or years. It's not their potential that was the issue - it was their unrealistic and ineffective strategies, implemented frantically and desperately.

The latter is indeed a problem for many of us.

At the same time, though, people don't have infinite potential, nor infinite lifetimes in which to develop their potential. People need to budget their time and resources and make decisions about which skills they will work on developing.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2024, 2:00 am

The trait of struggling with body language is called dyssemia.
The trait of struggling with verbal social cues -- I wonder if there's a specific term for that... SCD cannot be diagnosed in conjunction with autism spectrum disorder after all.

Not all autistics have dyssemia.
It's a common misconception that all autistics do because of how it is portrayed, the common issues around cognitive empathy and double empathy problem.

First layer is the social motivation, the social interests in humans.
This is sort of how some autistics mimic social cues from others; they still have to learn NT socialization in an explicit manner -- but social cues are still visible, 'audible' and can be deduced with enough observation.

Some had it easier with visual and pattern recognition strengths. Had it easier with body language.
Some had it easier with hearing and verbal strengths. Had it easier with tone and wording.
Some have it both.

And even a rare few that has all the intuition; empathic and can read humans intentions that can even surpass NTs; yet is autistic and still as 'culture blind'.
The ability to read people and sense their intentions, and the ability to integrate the cultural and it's contexts in socialization may look the same, yet is not necessarily the same.

Many definately have difficulties because they have executive dysfunction -- whether it's dysregulation of senses, emotions, behaviors itself, or issues related to memory, learning, attention, processing...

And some have more direct sensory issues; whether it causes distractibility due to intensity, having issues with perception, stimuli comprehension issues or having slow processing speed.
It can be one, it can be all.

Making the process incomplete, slow or more difficult to master.
These issues had nothing to do with the common autistic social issues, but it can interfere with social learning and socialization.

If you are truly have dyssemia and issues with decoding other cues -- it will never be as easy nor as simple as OP say even if you're allistic.
Some cognitive profiles won't simply allow learning social cues.

If you have dyspraxia, your self expression might be compromised.
If you have NVLD; it is definitely not as simple as watching and listening to people.

If you have alexithymia, it may complicate the process of putting context over self expression and observed expressions in others.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.