Does anyone else hate talking on the phone?

Page 4 of 11 [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

intense
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2008, 11:17 am

Me no like.

patypixie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2008, 2:17 pm

Yeah,I hate it.especially when I have to talk with people unfamiliar to me.I just start mumbling and getting nervous

ValleyBridetoBe
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2008, 9:37 pm

I am uncomfortable talking on the phone.. the awkward silence.. etc.

I am very comfortable talking to my fiance on the phone, but no one else. I hate calling people, even to order a pizza.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 12:10 am

I'm ok talking to people I know on the phone, but talking business with strangers is tough. Today, I had to call all around town trying to find a part for my car. That was a bit nerve wracking but it had to be done.

vame
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2008, 8:43 am

I hate talking on the phone, always have. I end up a lot with that awkward silence, not knowing what to say and wishing I could just end the call but not knowing if that would be rude or not. Hate phones!

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 11:26 am

I don't like it much, but it depends on the situation.

I can talk on the phone at length with friends and relatives who live far away, but this is only if we talk regularly (but not too frequently) and have something to talk about. Basically, I see these as phone-based relationships.

I dislike talking on the phone with anyone who I could see in person, except to make plans to get together in person, or just to say hi when we're too busy to see each other. What I really hate is having any kind of serious or personal conversation on the phone with someone who lives close enough that we can talk in person.

Sometimes it feels weird just to say something as simple as, "I love you," over the phone because it feels more genuine and intense in person. I'd rather save it for those moments that you can't usually experience over the phone.

iloveodie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2008, 12:12 pm

I hate cos am not a normal person. I am 25 now, the only people I talk to is my parents. They're worried but what to do God made me like this. The only contact with the outside world is the Internet. I found this amazing site thru a person in Yahoo answers.

cavac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2008, 4:47 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
I usually like talking to people in real life, but I hate talking on the phone--regardless of how nice the person I'm talking to is.

Unless it's one of the people i know really well, talking on the phone is very disturbing to me.

If it's a business call, i usually cut the people short after getting the gist of what they want and ask them to send me an email about the details "so i don't forget". Works quite well, actually...

raspberryswirl

21 Aug 2008, 6:37 pm

The phone is horrible. But I tend to overcome that when I need to by going over what I need to say in my head for a while before dialing. Like, if I'm ordering food or calling customer service for something. Then, the only time I really have trouble is if they ask me to repeat myself or if they say something I didn't anticipate. More personal phone calls, though, I run out of things to say after about 5 minutes. Luckily, though, my best friend also has Asperger's so we don't much pressure each other into talking on the phone, haha.

That goes on and on; as it's been, so it shall be

Myles17
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2008, 6:09 pm

hmm i don't have a hard time conversing with anyone on the phone, but it bugs the crap out of me. especially when those stupid people from prevent blindness call over and over again, or if someone calls me 6 times and never leaves me a message. I find that it makes it better if you listen to what the person is saying, and pretend to be interested in what they are saying. I am never interested in what my friends talk about unless I ask the question, and I usually want a short answer, but I can still enjoy a conversation for an hour or so.

pixygiggles
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2008, 4:42 am

OMG, I absolutely despise talking on the phone! I avoid it like the plague, for real. I've never quite understood how people (female friends especially) could sit and talk for hours on the phone. I've actually gotten to the point that I let the answering machine pick up all calls and call the person back when I feel I can deal with conversation better.

vt420

27 Aug 2008, 7:08 pm

I'm ok to people I already know, it's actually sometimes better for them to not see that i'm not making eye contact, or i'm fidgeting or hand wringing or whatever else i may be doing at that moment.

what i can barely do, and didn't used to be able to do at all, is "simple" stuff like calling and ordering a pizza or checking if a store has what i need/want

and don't even get me started on calling customer support and other such nonsense... for me to do it at all i get mean and very blunt and loud, to the point where I actually notice I'm doing it, which i don't always with stuff like that....

Jeff

lisa81

27 Aug 2008, 7:11 pm

I love talking on the phone.

I hate typing via e-mail or IM or texting.

Thornheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2008, 12:07 am

I'm OK answering the phone if the caller I.D. says it's someone we know (otherwise it's usually someone asking for money and we don't have any of that to spare) but I can't call people. I get all nervous, especially to ask about homework I missed or forgot.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 5:57 am

I'll do anything rather than make a personal call - SMS is good, although usually ineffective. Email's not bad except when the response is silence. Total non-response? - well, who could complain about that.

But calling and embarking unguided into social space? No, that's not me. I'll answer the damn thing, and make rote responses. I even take messages, although occasionally I neglext to deliver them.

scorpion42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2008, 10:43 am

I hate the phone, usually wait for the answering machine to pick it up, sometime I will answer if I am expecting a call. But to call someone I need at least a day or two to gather the courage to do it. I let a lot of errors on my bills go by as I never mustered the courage to call and complain! :oops: