Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hybrid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2005, 7:25 am

I hear sounds without problems, I can hear soft and high pitched sounds that some people can't anymore.

However, I seem to have trouble to understand people where others don't. When in a noisy environment with many people all talking through each other, most people seem to be able to understand everything and even be able to hear two different people talking at the same time.

I, however, have trouble understanding what they're saying and can't follow what they're talking about.

Is this common for aspies?

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 7:31 am

I believe it is, Hybrid. I recall several discussions we've had on this subject. I also have that difficulty. When I'm in a large group of people, there is little chance I'll participate because of this. (Also, because I do not know when to speak). It seems to have to do with difficulty filtering information, what I mean is your brain does not filter the foreground noise from the background noise the way most people's brains do. Does this make sense to you?

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 7:35 am

Sensory Integration Dysfunction / Sensory Processing Disorder.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 9:40 am

i believe another characteristic is not being able to tell which direction sounds come from.

hybrid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2005, 10:25 am

hecate wrote:
i believe another characteristic is not being able to tell which direction sounds come from.

I'm able to tell that, so I don't have this characteristic.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 10:49 am

I've got that too; I describe my ability to understand people to that of an NT who is hearing everyone speak in an unfamiliar and really heavy accent. I can hear fine and I can mostly process, but every so often I just hear the sounds and they don't add up on the first processing, so I have to try and puzzle out what people have actually just said. To my knowledge it is common with AS, or at least "known" to go with it sometimes.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 12:10 pm

I have basically perfect hearing. The problem is that I didn't get perfect hearing until I was 13, and before that I had hearing aids to help correct (partially) profound deafness. I can hear perfectly fine, but I can barely understand what I am hearing. I also have no sense of sound direction, but if I get another implant I might be able to delevope that ablity.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 1:21 pm

Serissa wrote:
I've got that too; I describe my ability to understand people to that of an NT who is hearing everyone speak in an unfamiliar and really heavy accent. I can hear fine and I can mostly process, but every so often I just hear the sounds and they don't add up on the first processing, so I have to try and puzzle out what people have actually just said. To my knowledge it is common with AS, or at least "known" to go with it sometimes.

Serissa, that is a great way to describe it. That's how it is for me as well. I have some hearing loss from loud music, so my hearing isn't very sharp. But, even when I can hear someone speaking volume-wise, their words make no sense. I'm known for saying "What?" the first time someone says something to me, because I am asking them to repeat what they said.

In noisy environments, forget it.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 2:08 pm

Doesn't anyone find that watching people's mouths (almost like lipreading) helps?

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 2:09 pm

I'm a bona-fide lipreader, and I understand people almost only by lipreading.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 2:19 pm

Prometheus wrote:
I'm a bona-fide lipreader, and I understand people almost only by lipreading.

Do you have hearing problems or just the extra skill?

((and by the way, your avatar- GOOD GOD!))

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 2:26 pm

Quote:
Do you have hearing problems or just the extra skill?

Quote:
I have basically perfect hearing. The problem is that I didn't get perfect hearing until I was 13, and before that I had hearing aids to help correct (partially) profound deafness. I can hear perfectly fine, but I can barely understand what I am hearing. I also have no sense of sound direction, but if I get another implant I might be able to delevope that ablity.

Quote:
((and by the way, your avatar- GOOD GOD!))

Hehehehehe!! !

I'm Rotwang for Halloween. . . . .Look it up on Wikipedia for more info.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 3:25 pm

lowfreq50 wrote:
Serissa wrote:

Serissa, that is a great way to describe it. That's how it is for me as well. I have some hearing loss from loud music, so my hearing isn't very sharp. But, even when I can hear someone speaking volume-wise, their words make no sense. I'm known for saying "What?" the first time someone says something to me, because I am asking them to repeat what they said.

In noisy environments, forget it.

*puts hand up* me too... sometimes its just a jumble of noise - I know the person is speaking but cant work out for the life of me what they are saying. mostly I understand/process speech with only a slight delay, but some days people might as well be speaking Martian... :?

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 4:02 pm

hecate wrote:

I always point in the opposite direction of where the sound is coming from. But after focusing some, I'm better than most people at it. And when I say focusing, I mean Hyperfocusing. Focus is such a funny word to say. Foe kiss, hahaha.

I too have trouble with background noises. I just avoid noisy environments and explain to my friends that I'm bad at it.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2005, 7:13 pm

I have a terrible time hearing what people are saying in noisy environments, and also figuring out what direction sounds are coming from. I'll often resort to flat-out guessing what people are saying to me. This usually ends up being pretty confusing to both sides when I get it wrong...

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Oct 2005, 7:17 am

Yes I have this exact problem. My hearing is sensitive, but very non-selective. I can usually tell if a TV is on the instant I walk into a room without looking, because of the high-pitched squeal it makes. Many people I've talked to say they can't hear it at all.

But in a noisy environment I have a terrible time trying to carry a conversation. Last night I was at a loud bar with 3 other friends. We were all sitting at a table and they were talking as if they were sitting in a library. To me it was just a jumbled bunch of noise.

Also, I'm really sensitive to certain noises. For instance the default Yahoo Messenger sound (rrrRIINNNGGGGG!! !) is absolutely infuriating.