Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 9:21 am

Bataar wrote:
I don't see the point of sight seeing. I can look at pictures on the Internet for free. Seeing something in real life doesn't make it seem anymore real or impressive.

Actually, I've experienced only the opposite in this regard. The actual places are nothing like they seem in books or photos. Scale and Atmosphere rarely translate effectively.

What I don't understand is spending money to drink on a beach or see tourist attractions that are made simply to suck money out of you. Alternately, spending money to see important architectural and historic cities or ancestral homelands feels well worth the expenditure.

SporadSpontan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2009, 12:20 am

I appreciate the potential learning and experience that can be gained from travelling but I don't want to do it. The disruption in routine puts me off. It also seems like a waste of time and money for me. Having said that - if I'm in a crazy enough mood I'm likely to sign up for something like this without much warning. The saner aspect of myself hopes that I don't do this though. And the random minority aspect is chuckling deviously...

mediaguy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2009, 2:57 am

I don't like travelling at all. I really like my routine and being out of sync with my routine stresses me out. Plus, I don't really care for any of the activities people do while travelling. I don't like beaches, I've seen city skylines, and I can pretty much Google anything else there is to see in a matter of seconds.

madmogs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Dec 2009, 7:32 am

For a moment there I thought you were talking about Heathrow's Terminal 5, which i don't believe anyone would consider an exciting experience. :oops:

I used to hate the idea of travelling. Up till six years ago, I was the kind of person who only left my bedroom when forced to, and most of the time since I've had a very quiet social life. Then, a couple of years ago, I became obssessed with other countries and cultures and decided to travel. I've spent most of 2009 (and all my money) in Latin America and South East Asia.

It's not easy to do, especially when you have to make sure you always have a place of solitude and silence to retreat to, but I really, really loved it.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 9:45 am

madmogs wrote:
For a moment there I thought you were talking about Heathrow's Terminal 5, which i don't believe anyone would consider an exciting experience. :oops:

That place is a zoo. :evil:

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 6:33 pm

I like going to different places, but I don't like getting there. I won't fly on an airplane, and car travel is unbearable. So traveling is out, even though there are many places I'd like to see.