Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2010, 11:57 am

I had a very similar situation happen to me with similar abruptness.

I know that I talk about my mayor friend a lot on here, but I finally got a big clue as to what happened. After his community was hit by a flood almost two years ago, I was out in his community helping his out. I gave him a lot of suggestions about what to do( sometimes unsolisited), and helped him build relationships with key people, organizations and institutions (again sometimes without his approval or knowledge).

Six months into my helping him he sends me an abrupt e-mail how my prescence is akward and how my assistance is not needed (I will be happy to pm the e-mail for critiquing). He also proceeded to defriend me on Facebook, and doesn't return telephone calls or e-mails. I became very depressed when he sent me this e-mail, not only due to the fact that a 25 year friendship was over, but it really impacted how I help in the community. This came at a time when my friend had committed to speaking at our church lecture series, and had asked me to go to a conference with him to our state capital regarding his community.

I was in conversation of a mutual friend of my friend and I that I work with. She had recently seen my friend at an event and talked to him. I guess he felt condescended by me and he felt that I felt he didn't know how to run his community, due to the unsolisted advice and actions. That was far from the truth actually, the reason I helped my friend was so he would get the help that he needed so his community would come back after the flood. I was a little confused by this, but it does provide some answers.

I think that those of us that are on the autism/AS spectrum sometimes say or do things, we think that are ok or helpful, but again may offend other people. We sometimes fail to see the dynamics or personal perspective of an action or conversation.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 6:58 pm

This stuff happens to me all the time and it does upset me and one of them happened to be my old teacher that I enjoyed having, I added him, he accepted and then the next thing you know, out of the blue he deletes me soon as I send him a "hi" message. :(

Without any reasoning why he did it in the first place... Right now I feel like kung-fooing his butt. :lol:

But seriously.... Tim, I don't think she was much of a real friend or the fact she didn't like the opinion, I don't know, i'd try and get through to her in many ways and yes, go for the phone call idea definitely. :)

And facebook, just think of it as nothing, just a website... nothing special on it... :lol:

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 7:16 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
A very good friend of two years unfriended me from Facebook earlier today. Just last week, we were getting along and having a very fun conversation.

I never said or did anything that could have offended her or made her uncomfortable, and she never said that she didn't want to be my friend anymore, so I don't know what's going on. I re-added her to my Facebook, thinking I may have been deleted by accident.

I have already had one friend abandon me, I can't deal with another doing the same thing.

It always hurts when someone stops talking to you when you two have been having a great chat and then all of a sudden they stop. I had that experiance not too long ago and well he was just using me anyway so it doesn't matter. When he found out he wasn't going to be getting what he wanted from me, he didn't reply to my new PM when I said in it "no" and he deleted all my comments from his profile. So it's obvious. But it still hurt because he had managed to befriend me and we both seemed to think alike and well he liked me and kept telling me how hot I am and he was unique because he said he was shy and honest but that was probably all an act. I am still too trusting I realized. But not in everything of course. Just in some areas.

Try and turn it around, in his eyes you used him. I'm speaking generally here obviously I'm not going to say this is some sort of fix all for you with as little info as I have here, but I gotta say that as aspies it is very necessary to sit down and consciously try be empathetic.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 8:52 pm

superboyian wrote:
This stuff happens to me all the time and it does upset me and one of them happened to be my old teacher that I enjoyed having, I added him, he accepted and then the next thing you know, out of the blue he deletes me soon as I send him a "hi" message. :(

Without any reasoning why he did it in the first place... Right now I feel like kung-fooing his butt. :lol:

But seriously.... Tim, I don't think she was much of a real friend or the fact she didn't like the opinion, I don't know, i'd try and get through to her in many ways and yes, go for the phone call idea definitely. :)

And facebook, just think of it as nothing, just a website... nothing special on it... :lol:

That's the plan, and I still think she might not have much time due to her studying abroad.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 6:46 pm

She mentioned that she was angry at me, but didn't tell me why.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 7:34 pm

Chances are you violated some nebulous, ever changing NT social rule. She probably has no logical way of explaining why she is mad at you. It's one of the things that NT's just instinctively know. You're going to have to write this one off.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 4:08 pm

She was an Aspie, and she was basically expecting me to read her mind, and instinctively know why she was angry at me without her ever having to tell me.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 7:03 pm

Tim, that is what shallow, immature NT women, not Aspies, do. You don't need someone like that in your life anyway.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 4:18 pm

I have officially lost her as a friend, and I will never know why she was angry at me.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 9:13 pm

Doesn't sound like she was ever much of a friend to begin with. Happens to everyone, even NT's.