Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2010, 1:28 pm

You don't even have any luck interacting in a social group specifically for AS people? I can't seem to get my foot in the door anywhere at the moment. Internet or in real life, it's all dead ends. I'm not sure what my options are at the moment. There's no place to learn social skills from, and I can't teach them to myself because I don't know what I'm doing wrong and there's nobody to tell me what that is.

I live pretty much in solitary confinement and I'm not getting any younger. Options, choices?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 1:38 pm

What do you suppose Aspies did before anyone ever heard of Asperger Syndrome? :?

Do that. :wink:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 2:08 pm

Get out there and experiment. Field research. You will make mistakes. If one thing elicits a poor response, try another. Learn by observing. The world is stuffed to the gills with people interacting, and therefore with opportunities to see social skills in action.

sefer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2010, 2:21 am

Find some example phrases on the internet like "Nice day isn't it?" then walk into shops and say them to the clerks. You'll probably never see these people again and it's good practice. If you don't know a person and will never see them again you can just treat them as a test subject. Judge their reactions, listen to what they say in response, then smile and walk away.