Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:14 am

If I'm trying to say something, and people talk over me with things that aren't relevant, I just raise my voice so that I can be heard over them.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 9:59 am

My mother once complained to my father and me that we kept interrupting her. I found this very ironic since her style of speaking is to interrupt, often with out regard to the subject under discussion and when she is speaking, she uses phrases and sounds to indicate she is about to say something further thus preventing another person from politely taking a turn at speaking. The only way to join a conversation with her is to interrupt.

I can go on at length about subjects I like, but I try to wind it up when I see the glazed over look.

Generally I have a very hard time getting a word in except with very close friends. There are a couple people I know who are so rude, yet oblivious to criticism that I can rather offensively interrupt them and it doesn't seem to bother them. (Or else one day they'll just show up with a gun and do away with me.)

Okay... I guess that didn't really answer the question. I'll shut up now.

chainsawswinger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Mar 2010, 7:03 pm

That happens with lively group conversations. The not-interrupting thing mostly applies to one-on-one conversations or if somebody's already well in the middle of a sentence. When you're with a bunch of people, the conversation is chaotic and noisy by nature and people are quick to throw in words when they get a chance, so don't be afraid to be more assertive that way.