Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 6:56 pm

I made a comment in a long thread on Facebook. I know the OP, we worked together for years. The OP is genuinely charismatic and talented and he has a lot of devotees. It's kind of disturbing, if he farts people are enraptured. Anyway, anytime he posts any thing there are usually 15-30 comments (all from people I don't know). I posted a comment about the subject OP brought up and the guy who posted after me wrote NORM!! So, being clueless, I looked it up in the urban dictionary:

1. norm - someone who doesn't actually belong to any particular group/label

That will keep me grumbling for the rest of the day. Punk. I have to resist the urge to post something back. Doing that never ends well. Hmph.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 7:16 pm

..of course I could be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Facebook paranoia.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 7:25 pm

The solution is very simple. Log out of Facebook and never return again.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 7:37 pm

I like your posts.
either of 2 things, he is saying "Norm!" like people would say when Norm entered the bar on Cheers,

or if he is saying it with the meaning in that Urban Dictionary, then the conclusion is that he is probably not very intelligent and what you wrote went over his head so he is being a fool and using unimaginative Web slang.

Taking a break.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 7:42 pm

I like your posts.
either of 2 things, he is saying "Norm!" like people would say when Norm entered the bar on Cheers.

Or he is being rude.
Or something else altogether.
Perhaps ask what he meant?

Taking a break.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 8:52 pm

Thank you. I think I was just being paranoid which is a bigger problem than being dissed on Facebook. His NORM!! comment probably had nothing to do with me. I hate Facebook but I like connecting with family that way. We are all spread out.

Shigoroku
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2010, 9:15 pm

"Not belonging to any particular group" sounds like another way of saying "normal."

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:33 pm

Shigoroku wrote:
"Not belonging to any particular group" sounds like another way of saying "normal."

To me it sounded like not being "clique-ish", which is a good thing in my opinion. But in that context 'normal' would make more sense. I agree that it was probably some guy that just didn't know what to say.

There are all kinds of weird people on facebook groups. I use FB to join groups relating to some health problems I have, it's a good way to get info. Some guy in a discussion started saying I was lying about the dosage of pills I take....it's like, why does that even matter to him anyway? :roll:

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 7:19 am

It happens to people on facebook but usually I am not dissed. I am usually just being part of the fun and humor since I like to join in at random moments. Just don't take it offensively and personally.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 7:20 am

Avarice wrote:

That's not a solution in my book because social networking is part of today's society and having fun with it has great benefits on various people.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 7:46 am

These people don't know me but they know each other very well. I took it to mean "she's not one of us" but I may have been over analyzing or just completely misinterpreting the comment. I just reacted to the idea of being dismissed.I was egotistically assuming the comment was in reference to my previous comment. If I see someone is in a bad mood, I automatically feel guilty and wonder what is was that I did when chances are it has nothing to do with me. Rationally I know I don't control everyone's mood but I automatically view it that way. I have to reason my way out. I wonder if that's a theory of mind thing.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 2:42 am

JerryHatake wrote:
Avarice wrote:

That's not a solution in my book because social networking is part of today's society and having fun with it has great benefits on various people.

It's also a good way for people and organizations to gather information about you as well as being, in my opinion, an utter waste of time. I've seen my sister use it, and she's hardly a typical NT. Everything is garbage.

Though I don't see the need to communicate with friends or family often, and am more likely than not, an exception to most social "rules" in the book.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:09 am

JerryHatake wrote:
Avarice wrote:

Yeah, don't let something trivial like that make you leave the site altogether. You're not even sure it was a diss, right? Heck, what did that person mean?

YoungCPA
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2010, 9:32 pm

Delete your facebook account.

JRogers
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2010, 9:44 pm

Instead of just deleting your Facebook account and running away, why not just ask yourself why it is that you care what some random person who in all probability is a moron says about you on the internet? There are more important things in the world.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 3:29 am

JRogers wrote:
Instead of just deleting your Facebook account and running away, why not just ask yourself why it is that you care what some random person who in all probability is a moron says about you on the internet? There are more important things in the world.

True, plus at this point i think I was being paranoid anyway. I'm not going to delete my account because I use it mainly to keep up with my family.