Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2006, 3:29 pm

Okay lately Ive been talking in a few chatrooms and sometimes I run into people that are quite a bit younger then me (like 12-14) and I don't know if I can talk to them. I mean generally they seem like they can use friends and they seem nice, and I can use friends and Im nice so logically I should just talk to them and see if we have anything in common (which considering my immaturity and immature interests is quite possible) right??? In practicality though I know parents would freak out over that and I am just not sure when it is and isnt appropriate to talk to someone thats younger then you.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2006, 3:43 pm

I suppose it depends how old you are and how young they are and how much they talk to you.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2006, 7:27 pm

Ummm okay Im 20 the kids that Im worried about are between 12-14 (older then that and I figure its alright) and they seem to like talking just as much as I do (and I always make it clear that they know my age and make sure they dont mind talking to a geezer like me lol.)

scousered
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2006, 5:09 am

That's quite on the border. But if they are comfortable with it & you don't make advances then it's okayish Just don't flirt or so...
In fact, it is beyond the border, It's not appropriate for you to have 12-14 yer olds for friends,...

three2camp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2006, 10:11 am

There are so many bad guys on the 'net that many parents may be very concerned if they discovered their kids were chatting with an older guy. But, then again, it would be up to the kid and the parent. If my son was on here chatting, then I would stay very close and monitor his chats.

If it's a public chat room then the kids must have some sort of permission to be there. If the chat is obviously open to all ages, then you should not have a problem. Just try to keep on-topic and not get too personal.

voss749
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2006, 11:12 am

Chatting with younger people online is okay as long

1) You keep your conversations clean and friendly
2) Your friendship stays online...period.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2006, 12:09 pm

As long as you aren't stalking them or asking them to meet somewhere, it's cool.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2006, 3:25 pm

Okay :), mostly we just talk about books or sports or whatever there into so no real problems there and with at least 2 of them I have asked there parents "is it okay if I chat with :insert goofballs name here:" and they were okay with it so :).

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2006, 4:20 pm

You should be perfectly fine as long as you keep it clean (a no-brainer really). :)

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2006, 10:12 am

Why shouldn't a 20 year old have online friendships with 12-14 year olds? Could be a lot of fun. There's too much age stratification around.

Like everyone else has said, just keep it clean and pleasant and you'll be fine. And don't offer to meet them someplace, ever- parents will freak and you'll find yourself in a lot of trouble you don't deserve.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2006, 9:23 pm

Where is the chat room where you are meeting the 12-14 year olds?

I hope I'm not being a spoilsport but I wouldn't recommend it at all, even online.

I think the dangers and reactions from people outweigh the potential quality of the friendships. What I mean is, it's common for you to come online and meet their parents, who have unfortunately got the wrong end of the stick. This is potentially devastating for the person who talks to kids and teens.[/url]

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2006, 9:27 pm

Well this chatroom for one has kids around that age as do the forums and a couple of the other forums I go to have people generally from 12-30 or so though for privacies sake I would much reither not say which ones. And whats the harm that comes from what people think???

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 6:43 pm

Well, you're 20, and they're as young as 12. To my mind, there is nothing wrong with you talking to them.

But there are a lot of ignorant people out there online who as I say, will look at you being 20, them being 12-14, and get the totally wrong idea, and get the wrong end of the stick. This is an unfortunate circumstance, because of all the bad guys and jerks online, and we get tarred with the same brush as them.

Case in point, when I was finishing high school and was 16/17, I became good friends with some people who'd just come into high school and were like 12/13. That came about because of me being behind in social development more than anything else. But even with that age difference, people got hysterical about it and got nasty ideas about me.

Also I was a regular on a chat site, admittedly I was a bit older than you at the time, at 28, though you say some of the guys on the forums you frequent are up to 30. I have to say, I had a very happy time indeed on that site. Most of the people there were young teens, and I became great friends with quite a few of them. I did nothing untoward, yet I ended up having no choice than to leave, because the following things happened in a short space of time:

1) One of the ops on the site got suspicious of me, and was dropping quite clear hints about it.
2) The fathers of two of my friends from the site came on to talk to me, to confront me, have harsh words with me, warn me etc.
3) A friend (closer to my age) of one of the people on the site came on to give me abuse and threaten me, for talking to this person.

So I speak from experience.