Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 10:33 pm

There's a Queen (the band, my ULTIMATE obsession) convention next month, and I'm registered to attend. As it approaches, I'm getting more and more nervous.

Reasons why I'm nervous:

- The majority of people going already know each other, so they'll be hanging around each other the whole weekend
- It looks like the majority of people going are considerably older than me, in different places in their lives, with children and whatnot... I'm afraid there won't be a whole lot of 'common ground' other than QUEEN.... ALSO that I'm not yet 21, so I may not be able to get into the bars that are spoken of as a post-convention-activities activity some of the attendees attend (WHOA crazy sentence :P ).
- It's in Detroit, and I'm driving there. It's about 6 hours away. I hope my car holds up...

On the upside, I'm a member of a Queen forum, and I know at least two of the posters from there are going for their first time as well. One of them is close to my age.

& I'm taking a friend, but she's not the social butterfly herself. I just don't want it to be the two of us, keeping to ourselves and feeling awkward the entire weekend.

I'm really putting myself out of my comfort zone here, but I think it might be good for me. Anybody else ever put themselves in a situation like this? Any stories or advice?

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 12:58 am

I went to two gaming conventions and met a lot of people that loved the same things in gaming i find intresting, Perhaps you would do the same at your Queen convention. 8)

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 4:14 am

If it's something you're interested in, just go and focus on what it's about and don't worry about socializing. If a conversation comes up that you feel comfortable with, then maybe you'll meet some people. If not, then you can probably have fun without interacting with a lot of people.

I go to the Reptile Expo in Raleigh twice a year, and i barely know anyone there. Sometimes a guy i know who likes snakes comes with me, and my dad comes too. The guy who owns BoaMaster Cages always recognizes me and asks how my animals are, because i've bought a lot of things from him. But, most of the people there i just ignore to some degree, unless i want to ask a question or want to buy something. I think that helps prevent getting overloaded.. I focus on other things like the animals there. I have gotten into some conversations with people there though, because it's about a topic i'm interested in. Most of the time i quietly look around, and i have fun.