Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 6:12 pm

My son came out while I was working in the yard and yelled at me that I was ruining his yard. When I asked him what he meant, it turned out he was just quoting something he thought was funny from "Calvin and Hobbes."

I can't count how many times I did that as a teenager -- paraphrased something I thought was funny in what turned out to be an inappropriate context, and totally pissed someone off.

Was just wondering if anyone else shared the experience.

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2010, 6:30 pm

I don't recall doing this myself but that doesn't mean much. However the kid I do respite care for does this so much that when he says something odd I ask him what movie/show the line is from. It doesn't help that he often misquotes it due to not having heard it properly or the quote using words he doesn't actually understand.

Sound
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 6:35 pm

willaful wrote:

Definitely. But I'm frankly too embarrassed to detail my most immediately memorable infraction... :oops:

That said, I think this is more of a kid thing, not so much an autism thing.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2010, 6:38 pm

I read a very thoughtful essay about Calvin and Hobbes and autism, oddly enough--well, here's a paragraph from it:

"To state it baldly and without further ado, I have come to think Calvin and Hobbes is at heart a comic strip about an autistic individual, or at least an individual greatly influenced by an autistic point of view. The strip boldly captures the offbeat drama of what it means to strive towards becoming a functioning autistic adult within a strangely askew world, presenting a fascinating juxtaposition of the relentless needs and mostly frustrated efforts required to overcome and belong in such a world, alongside the nearly mystical perception of beauty and understanding that serves as the unexpected reward for pressing all those needs and making all those efforts. Calvin and Hobbes is about—no, more accurately, Calvin and Hobbes is—the bittersweet comedy of being autistic in the modern world. I imagine you might be finding yourself understandably skeptical of this thesis, wondering among other things who this autistic individual could be that I am referring to. Yes, that part will take a little explaining, although I can begin by pointing out ironically enough that the individual’s full name was proudly and colorfully displayed each and every week, right there as the logo of the Sunday strip: Calvin and Hobbes by Watterson."

http://autisticsymphony.com/

The essay about Calvin and Hobbes is: III. The Score Is Still Q to 12. I loved that comic strip when I was growing up.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 6:44 pm

willaful wrote:

:P I once got my mouth washed out with soap for insisting to my mother that the dog scientist on Rocky & Bullwinkle was named Mister Pee Potty.

I don't know how long it took after that for me to realize what they were saying was Peabody. :oops:

It wasn't like I could read the credits or anything. I was only three. :roll:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 6:54 pm

When my son was much younger, we were at the grocery store in front of the dairy section. He shook his head and said "pitiful." I knew he was quoting Duck from a Little Bear video.

CosmicCowboy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 May 2010, 6:59 pm

I'll see ya one...
and raise ya a few grades

I was in Junior High,
and that was in early/mid 70's
We had papper sack book covers and we could color em up however we liked...
That was the time of the fat/melted hippie movment lettering so I had it covered in peace signs, and the words
Love, Joy, Peace, Cool, Freakout, &
Jackoff
...oops hehe it means what again? hehe :oops:

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 7:08 pm

I definitely do this all the time. This one is probably the worst:

Sometime in high school I discovered Ellen Degeneres' Here and Now dvd and used to quote it all the time, especially when someone said something that reminded me of it. In grade 12 I did co-op at a dog groomer's where unfortunately they were abusing the dogs and I had to report them to the humane society. After telling my friend about this serious, upsetting thing I was going through, she said "you're kidding". My Ellen reflexes kicked in and I said "No... as funny as that is, I'm not". I immediately realised that this was an inappropriate time to have said that, so I explained that it was Ellen, but I think it was lost on her.

To put the quote in context, Ellen was talking about how people use the word "kidding" inappropriately. One of her examples: "My dog of 17 years just died. Oh you're kidding?...Noooo...as funny as that is, I'm not” I couldn't find the video clip but it was probably right after this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0cEjEoRY1w[/youtube]

CosmicCowboy

11 May 2010, 7:15 pm

geeze I wonder what the teacher thought that had the class with that book cover :oops:
my mom is the one that broke it to me and she did it with a red face,
I was a young teen then, thats before the Waltons, & before Archie Bunker was alowed to make the sound of a toilet flush on the TV. So it would have been very vulgar in that time.
I wonder how long before she noticed or said somethin...

The things we live through...

CosmicCowboy

11 May 2010, 7:25 pm

I'm sorry you got me thinkin,

as I pan back over time I see these many faces with this, what the hell did you just say look on their face,
...now I wonder?

Oh well; its no wonder,

wow the countless times I have spent saying...
No... thats not what I meant.

and the hours spent like your Ellen where I take people through this 10-20 minuet diaglog on how all these unrelated points really are connected.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 7:54 pm

My son does this. He is usually quoting me as I don't have the tv on for him. Thankfully, he is usually "in the ballpark" for appropriateness. I usually say, "excuse me, may I please get by" when out and about with my double stroller. I walk pretty fast and sometimes need a "passing lane" on the sidewalk.

My son will repeat this at the house, when he is walking past the cat, when he is walking around my husband in the hallway, etc. etc. He is actually needing to get around someone or something - but there is often more than enough room for him without having to ask anyone to move.

I remember quoting (and sometimes misquoting) when I was in my teens and early twenties. I guess I was just borrowing some words so that I could articulate. I pretty much have my own words now (and don't watch a lot of tv) so I don't really do this anymore.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 8:19 pm

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
Sometime in high school I discovered Ellen Degeneres' Here and Now dvd and used to quote it all the time

:D For me it was George Carlin's 'AM & FM'; 'Class Clown' and 'Occupation Foole' Lps (which would have horrified my mother even further if she'd ever heard them). I still remember every word of all three.

Later, I got that obsessive with Firesign Theater's 'Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers'; 'How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All' and 'Everything You Know Is Wrong' which are all so eclectic, most people have never heard of them and lines from those get all sorts of strange looks, unless you accidentally run across another fan, in which case you can spend an hour trading familiar lines. :mrgreen:

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 12:10 am

Ellen Degeneres . . .

I've quoted "the worst"/"paper cut" a lot . . .

Hehe!

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 11:13 am

I do this a lot, but only when the quote just naturally blends into the conversation. I find it amusing that people don't realise I'm quoting from something.

y es como un semestre"

Kuramu

19 May 2010, 8:11 am

I remember, a couple of years ago, I was on a really big South Park kick. I went to Best Buy to pick up one of the DVDs with my dad. When I went to go check out, I struck up a conversation with the clerk about "ImaginationLand," a three-part mini-series that (at the time) recently happened in the South Park universe. I ended up blurting out one of the obscene, sexual gags that happened in all of the parts. The clerk looked at me, shocked, and gave me my things. When my dad and I got back into the car, we had a talk about how what I said was not okay.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 12:41 pm

Back, when I was bwtween the ages 22 and 31, I went through a phase in which I thought that I was Austin Powers, and I would say quotes from all three movies. I got myself in trouble, at one of my Work Experiences.