Page 4 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Niamh
Toucan
Toucan

16 Sep 2010, 5:04 pm

I forgot to mention, one of the most important reasons I feel for telling others about it is that I'll have the choice of not saying what's going on behind the curtains and people just drawing the conclusion that I'm a "weirdo" and not having a bit of patience for me, or telling them and the ones who aren't scared of terminology will be interested while those who are will freak out and run away to their cliques and be safe. I would rather choose finding the right people to share my life with and having professionals knowing why I have extra needs, over putting up with the usual misconceptions that I'm lazy, stubborn, selfish and an antisocial.
And the more we hide it, the more we are encouraging these misconceptions. Same goes for LGBT people - the more open they were in the past about their sexualities, the more accepting people became as they gradually began to understand. If we keep hiding the fact that we belong to a minority of our own, how is anyone else supposed to accept that? It's in our own hands.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Sep 2010, 5:35 pm

Niamh wrote:
telling them and the ones who aren't scared of terminology will be interested while those who are will freak out and run away to their cliques and be safe.

The cliques can mob against you thou. I was physically bullied a lot as a kid because I was different. When I told em about my dyslexicia; they bullied me even more. I think it's better just to be yourself & not worry about explaining your AS or other diagnoses because doing that is like having a kick me sign on your back

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

rowingineden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Sep 2010, 6:08 pm

Like this, "I do seem to have Asperger's, so you know, I might do things like... (a behavior relevant to the situation)"

Niamh
Toucan
Toucan

17 Sep 2010, 3:11 am

nick007 wrote:
The cliques can mob against you thou. I was physically bullied a lot as a kid because I was different. When I told em about my dyslexicia; they bullied me even more. I think it's better just to be yourself & not worry about explaining your AS or other diagnoses because doing that is like having a kick me sign on your back

Have you experienced this as an adult? I haven't had bullying problems since finishing school and moving on to college, and the only people giving me a hard time over it are my immediate family, while everyone else is perfectly fine about it! I know people can be idiots, but only the least mature or close-minded adults could cause problems. Yes, we should be ourselves and not worry about explaining diagnoses, but it's not as if I meet new people by saying "Hello, I have AS, how are you?" I meet people, get to know them gradually, and when they make it obvious that they like me I allow myself from then on to bring up AS in any conversations it may pop up in. I guess my casual approach to it helps - it's not that I get psyched up to go tell them about my AS, I just let it come up as it does with other people who know already and don't make any big deal out of it. We even have jokes about it. I think it's really important that the people in my life know so that I don't have to go making up stories and lies for when I desperately need them not to drag me out to the pub or a nightclub or something. When they know that I can't cope with certain things, they won't pressure me. They know that if I do go somewhere with a bunch of people, I leave early sometimes to avoid meltdown and not to avoid them. If they don't know about my AS, they'll think I'm antisocial which I actually am not, and therefore I can truly be myself and socialize without the pressure of doing it their way! I can't be myself without people knowing that there are reasons behind what looks like something that should be taken personally by them.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 3:20 am

I don't tell them and I don't see a time in the foreseeable future when I would.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Sep 2010, 7:24 am

Niamh wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Have you experienced this as an adult?.

I have not been physically bullied sense high-school but I had problem,s with certain coworkers because they knew about my disabilities/limitations. They were slackers who spent waaay to much time gossiping. I'm not sure why they had a problem because after I did my work I had to help em with there's

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Niamh
Toucan
Toucan

17 Sep 2010, 8:15 am

nick007 wrote:
Niamh wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Have you experienced this as an adult?.

I have not been physically bullied sense high-school but I had problem,s with certain coworkers because they knew about my disabilities/limitations. They were slackers who spent waaay to much time gossiping. I'm not sure why they had a problem because after I did my work I had to help em with there's

At least you're not limited by laziness :x people are so maddening. I'm currently putting up with another phase of bullying form my immediate family about it - they're the only ones giving me hassle and trying to make life miserable, yet the good thing about that is, I'm miles away from all of them at the moment. If they try drive me out of their lives just because they're afraid of my AS instead of accepting it, then that's their loss, and they're wasting their energy throwing stones at me. I've done nothing wrong :-)

dmvguy
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Sep 2010, 9:31 am

Since I don't have an official diagnosis I don't tell anyone. I tried telling my parents but they didn't believe and wouldn't get me any help. I wouldn't dare tell anyone else I know because I wouldn't want to lose the 2 or 3 friends I do have.

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2010, 11:07 am

It's more of a description than an explanation. I don't see the point.

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2010, 12:30 pm

I told my boss about my diagnosis so that he can be aware of the certain difficulties I have with AS. A couple of teachers know about it too because I did a graduation project on it and I have IEP with them. Some of my friends also know because 1) they have it 2) know someone who has it and 3) they are kind enough to understand my situation. I remember a situation when I was helping out in the High School theater, one actor blurted out that he had Aspergers. Soon after that, lots of people were talking about Aspergers. I was thinking about doing the same thing as well, but I decided not too. Wouldn't make much of a difference IMO.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 4:44 pm

i don't though ts no secret

betamaxx
Raven
Raven

21 Sep 2010, 6:30 am

most of my friends figured it out

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2010, 10:43 pm

I don't. People usually think I'm odd and I've gotten used to it so much that I like being different. so I'm not going to give anyone a reason to put a label on my weirdness...or quirkiness as my doc so puts it :wink:

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 11:34 pm

I don't need to tell anyone unless it's to get a government job where it will then be an advantage in the hiring phase due to affirmative action. My best friend knows I have many quirks (both the gifts and the drawbacks) and he likes me just the way I am...I do not need to throw a label on it. It is a part of my personality and he has seen me during my good and "bad" moments. He knows how I behave and react and does not need the label. Same goes for my other friends. I can be myself around my friends and don;t need to "act normal" around them. They know the symptoms and how to respond, ...they just don't have or need the label.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 7:20 am

I just say "Yo. I have Asperger's."

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 10:21 pm

I tell people if the conversation of Autism is brought up. Most people are misinformed on the subject, so I like to use myself as an example. I also tell close friends when I think it's time to do so. I have only told one person.