Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

compcuanol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2010, 6:21 pm

Hi ! I'm new here.
First of all, I apologize if my english isn't that good. I'm french.

Now, here's my problem.
My friends don't believe I have asperger's syndrome and I can't convince them that I do. It's like i'm trying to explain something so obvious that I can't find my words.
I even met with a professional so I could get diagnosed to prove it to them.
Problem is, that woman wasn't very good at her job. She told me right from the start, before I even said a word to her that I couldn't be asperger because I didn't look like one. Then she asked me a bunch of useless questions and interumpting me when I tried to answer them. She told me she would call to schedule another appointement but she never did.

But that's not important. I don't need to be diagnosed. I KNOW I am asperger. I just need my friends to believe me. Can somebody please help me find a way to make them understand I'm telling the truth ?
Everytime I try, they just say stuff like "It's all in your head", or "You're just shy".
It's driving me crazy, please help ! !!

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 6:26 pm

Quote:
I'm french

I won't hold it against you.

First of all. That was a pretty sloppy diagnosis assessment. So I would get your money back if you paid her for it. Bit of a joke actually that kind of treatment its grossly unprofessional and sloppy. I thought you guys had a slightly better system then us uncultured english swine (but anyway im getting off topic)

I don't really know why you want to convince your friends that you have AS? I mean does it really matter? Are they french too? That might be the real problem (joke)

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2010, 6:27 pm

Find a different professional, one who will take your diagnosis more seriously.

As regards your friends, does it matter if they believe you or not? I've always found that I have so many bigger problems to worry about with aspergers that 'does x believe me' isn't even on the list of things that I care about.

et soyez la bienvenue

Thomas246
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2010, 10:13 pm

Your friends know about your behavior and of you to them it wouldn't matter if you where challenged or not AS is nothing but a way of thinking. Besides 1 in 4 people these days have mental irregularity (Ironic how such a common feature is considered irregular...) so it's not a big deal.

brownleefamily
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2010, 7:52 am

Laz wrote:
Quote:
Are they french too? That might be the real problem (joke)

Good one.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

02 Aug 2010, 4:48 pm

compcuanol wrote:
Hi ! I'm new here.
First of all, I apologize if my english isn't that good. I'm french.

Now, here's my problem.
My friends don't believe I have asperger's syndrome and I can't convince them that I do. It's like i'm trying to explain something so obvious that I can't find my words.
I even met with a professional so I could get diagnosed to prove it to them.
Problem is, that woman wasn't very good at her job. She told me right from the start, before I even said a word to her that I couldn't be asperger because I didn't look like one. Then she asked me a bunch of useless questions and interumpting me when I tried to answer them. She told me she would call to schedule another appointement but she never did.

But that's not important. I don't need to be diagnosed. I KNOW I am asperger. I just need my friends to believe me. Can somebody please help me find a way to make them understand I'm telling the truth ?
Everytime I try, they just say stuff like "It's all in your head", or "You're just shy".
It's driving me crazy, please help ! !!

I would definitely get my money back. In fact, I wouldn't have paid afterward at all.

More importantly, just remember that you don't have to prove anything to anyone. Many adult Aspies are self-diagnosed. It's not like a physiological test, like for blood type- if you fit the description, you fit the description. I would just drop trying to convince them. But if they ask why you do this or that differently, say "I have Aspergers" and leave it at that. You don't owe anyone anything.

Good luck!

compcuanol

02 Aug 2010, 5:42 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

Frankly, I have no idea why it matters so much to me. I usually don't know why I feel a certain way.

And about that "professional", luckily I met with her for free.