Page 2 of 14 [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

jumanji
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2010, 1:40 pm

That's about the second worst thing something can say to me.

It only comes after "You need to work on your people skills" or the like.

Especially after you've been working so hard to do just that and you think you've made progress.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 2:12 pm

All the time!

NTs do that because they can't read you--they aren't getting the typical NT feedback they are expecting. In other words, they expect the normal NT nonverbal conversation but you aren't saying anything.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 3:54 pm

jumanji wrote:
That's about the second worst thing something can say to me.

It only comes after "You need to work on your people skills" or the like.

Especially after you've been working so hard to do just that and you think you've made progress.

I've had so called "social skills professionals" say that to me also. They didn't believe I was trying to work on them, but they just try to rub it into my face that I am not doing it "right".

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:36 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I get asked that question, from time to time. The thing that irritates me the most, is when I'm with a bunch of women. They will be talking about hair, guys and makeup, and I don't really have anything, to say. One of the women will ask me, why I'm so quiet. I also get told, that I'm soft spoken, a lot of the time.

I get the same thing from men. They will be talking about sports, binge drinking, strip bars, doing drugs, date raping women, etc. and I won't say a word. They will ask me why I'm so quite and i will politely explain that I am just not into that stuff and sometimes they will get quite hostile with me because those are the things men are supposed to do.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 6:36 pm

Metal_Man wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I get asked that question, from time to time. The thing that irritates me the most, is when I'm with a bunch of women. They will be talking about hair, guys and makeup, and I don't really have anything, to say. One of the women will ask me, why I'm so quiet. I also get told, that I'm soft spoken, a lot of the time.

I get the same thing from men. They will be talking about sports, binge drinking, strip bars, doing drugs, date raping women, etc. and I won't say a word. They will ask me why I'm so quite and i will politely explain that I am just not into that stuff and sometimes they will get quite hostile with me because those are the things men are supposed to do.

I don't think real women would be attracted to men who talked about things like that. It makes me wonder if those guys you hang around with may have trouble "getting women" like many of us do.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 10:56 pm

Women worth having don't want that type but these guys, and I hate to say this, are jerks and a large segment of the female population seems to like that kind of guy.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 11:27 pm

I have a better time having conversations with men about cars, technology and politics. I can't talk to women to save my life - most girls talk about their shopping sprees, Juicy Couture, the Kardashian tramps and Lady Gaga, and pop culture in general. However, there are a rare few women which I can hold an conversation with.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 12:12 am

I have heard this question myself many times througout my life. Seems to me people think you're up to something if you aren't loquacious. My usual answer to the question is that I find it pointless to speak unless I really have something to say. In truth, though, I think part of it is because I actually prefer silence, and I'd rather not break it unless it's necessary.

As the old adage says: Speech is silver, but silence is golden.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 2:04 am

If I'm quiet it's usually because I'm bored with the people I'm around and my mind is on other things. I don't have much to add when the topic of conversation is sports or television or car troubles or gossip about people I don't even know.

sarek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2010, 6:57 am

Even though I try to pick my company wisely and mostly consort with like minded people i still get that question often.
And after all these years my own mother has not learned the futility of asking it. Next I know I am busy explaining that NO, I am NOT ANGRY!! or depressed. Of course, by that point I AM angry!

What beyond reality

devey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2010, 6:27 am

Is there ever a good answer to this question? Or one that people will accept?

d057
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 7:15 pm

devey wrote:
Is there ever a good answer to this question? Or one that people will accept?

That was the point I made at the very end of my blog. There are only two possible ways to answer that irritating question, and they are ignore them or say "that's just the way I am".

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 12:23 am

I seldom get asked why I am quiet, I get told! Mainly by teachers, too. Maybe because around my peers, I can be a right chatterbox, especially when it is trivial. But, people out of my class, I never talk to. In fact, today some 1st year students came over to me and asked why I like to read about Hitler (Spies, or what???) so I just ignored them. Maybe it is rude, but so is Spying!! !!

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2010, 3:05 am

People constantly ask me that question.
Perhaps they ask it because they find it difficult to work out what a quiet person is thinking/feeling, and could think they are bored, sad, etc. People need to understand and accept that some people prefer to observe and listen rather than interact. Or that some people just don't have anything to say to the loud people surrounding them. Here is a nice quote: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:23 am

Pseudeos wrote:
People constantly ask me that question.
Perhaps they ask it because they find it difficult to work out what a quiet person is thinking/feeling, and could think they are bored, sad, etc. People need to understand and accept that some people prefer to observe and listen rather than interact. Or that some people just don't have anything to say to the loud people surrounding them. Here is a nice quote: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Definately! Observing is the intellectual way to interact.

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2010, 7:31 pm

"I am not quiet. I am currently speaking words." It becomes true as soon as you say it.

:P

However, usually I just say that I am thinking. True. And though the explanation is more complicated than that, they probably don't really want to hear it. I'm so tired of hearing the question really... people complain when I won't stop talking and they complain when I don't talk.