Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 10:47 am

it's actually bad for you. Contrary to what you may have heard, bullying makes you less likely to stand up for yourself.

On that note, I'm glad bullying is getting the attention it deserves nowadays. I've always suspected it does more damage to us than we know.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 1:14 pm

Yeah, I think bullying (from peers, teachers, parents) had a large part in making me who I am today.
And that's not a good thing.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 12:01 am

In my old hometown I faced much bullying from people, but when I moved here to Red Neck Deer, I vowed to never let myself be walked on anymore..I vowed to fight for everything and never give up. I started clean and had no reason to back down. During the two years in my schooling, I gained even more backbone since I was NOT bullied or at least did not notice it too well (subtle...class had mainly girls with the exception of one guy who ended up becoming my best friend). I made a friend as I just mentioned...He is an immigrant from El Salvador. This also helped in my confidence and self esteem. ...I even learned some Espanol as well.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 6:04 am

[quote="CaptainTrips222"]it's actually bad for you. Contrary to what you may have heard, bullying makes you less likely to stand up for yourself.
quote]

Because bullies have such low self esteem, right?

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2010, 10:45 am

That's utter b.s. I absolutely disagree. Do you know in all my life I was bullied quite often. I stood up for myself ever single and each time. And I always will. I will not have someone disrespect me and I will sacrifice any social relationship with my peers in order to respect and protect myself. I have been bullied for 18 years and it really hasn't stopped. Now it's no longer peers, but more like adults. Teachers. But I don't really care, respect isn't given it is earned. And if you haven't earned my respect, well then don't expect to say something to me and for me to take it is a compliment. Because it wasn't.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 3:40 pm

Where are the studies so I can read them for myself? Thanks

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 3:26 am

Clyde wrote:
That's utter b.s. I absolutely disagree. Do you know in all my life I was bullied quite often. I stood up for myself ever single and each time. And I always will. I will not have someone disrespect me and I will sacrifice any social relationship with my peers in order to respect and protect myself. I have been bullied for 18 years and it really hasn't stopped. Now it's no longer peers, but more like adults. Teachers. But I don't really care, respect isn't given it is earned. And if you haven't earned my respect, well then don't expect to say something to me and for me to take it is a compliment. Because it wasn't.

Somebody missed their anger management session. :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 5:12 pm

I had a very hard time standing up to my bullies. We're not all made of stern stuff.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 5:36 pm

I stood up to my bullies but all it did was give me a reputation among authorities for being a violent and unpredictable child. Because my bullies were clever and never got caught. And if I told who did something to me, it was always, "Steve? Mary? Why they would *never* do anything like that! Why are you making up stories about them?"

So all the authorities saw was me suddenly and violently lashing out "for no good reason." I really identified with the scene in the Temple Grandin movie where the kids were stuffing things in her clothes and pulling her hair and she punched one in the nose and suddenly it was, "we don't know what happened! She just hauled off and hit him for no reason!"

And all the fighting back in the world didn't get them to stop. Even when I brought a razor blade to school and cut a bully with it, it didn'ts top them. I think they got a kick out of "poking the tiger" to see what would happen. And to make matters worse, I got shuffled around from school to school a lot so even if I had managed to triumph through violence and make the kids afraid to touch me, *poof* there I was off to a new neighborhood, a new school, a new set of kids and no one knew my violent reputation so there was no way it could have protected me anyway.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:07 am

Yeah, it's bad for you. Just ask Phoebe Prince...oh wait...you can't. She's DEAD. At least her tormentors are getting what's coming to them. If they're not convicted, the death threats certainly won't stop. :twisted:

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 1:29 am

Bullying as a child turned me into an agressive brute who will spit on or even sucker punch someone in the face if I have too. When I tried to defend myself, I was labled as the bully.
It taught me that little kids aren't innocent little angels society makes them out to be and I am beginning to wonder if that part in the Bible where Jesus says, "Sacrifice the little children to me" is some sort of translation error. Kids weren't the only bullies, teachers and adults were my worst bullies.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 3:50 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
it's actually bad for you. Contrary to what you may have heard, bullying makes you less likely to stand up for yourself.

On that note, I'm glad bullying is getting the attention it deserves nowadays. I've always suspected it does more damage to us than we know.

I'm confused, are you referring to the bully him/herself or the person being bullied? And can I see some linkage?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 4:21 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

I'm confused, are you referring to the bully him/herself or the person being bullied? And can I see some linkage?

I mean, it's bad for the victim.

And I saw this on a video. I'm going to watch it again and tell you who said it, the title of the program, and where you can stream it or buy it.

orsman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2010, 9:17 pm

bullying will stop with a school with non normals as staff and the majority of the students are non normals It is because of the aggressive trait that is found in msot normal people(nature of mankind)

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 2:08 am

I was bullied at school when I was 9 years old due to me being aloof thereby looking different from others. I have always fought with people all my life. I used to punch, kick people and fidget at home, because of ADHD(hyperactive impulsive), due to which my father who also had aspie would beat me up daily because of inablility to overcome anger and he is a very gentlemen otherwise. So, I grew up very weak but still had behaviour problems. During Msc and one year of phd, which I left due to aspergers, I was bulllied a lot. We are easy targets due to inability to read mind. All this experience led me to understand the language rules, the local one, and mind reading. I believe these are two aspects to language. We have social mind of a 2 years old. Therefore it is necessary for aspies especially those who have ADHD and are more social to be physically very strong, thick bones :!: .Those with ADHD who like to make comment upon people and are egotistic, like me, should also do serious gym for atleast 3 years and learn a martial art.
Learning language skills whose link you may find in my signatures and developing mind reading abilities is also necessary. You will soon see a thread on mind reading rules.
One more important thing is intonation. We should know how to make a point, and not being rude, while discussing something or when to get angry and how much.

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2010, 9:46 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Somebody missed their anger management session. :roll:

No I just don't think you should be spouting misinformation without looking over it some more. And maybe making your own observations. Don't come in here and say this, when it isn't even true. Do some more research.