Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 10:16 pm

Ok, so I know that part of autism is not making eye contact, and looking at peoples lips when they speak.

With a few years of hard work, I sorta have overcome it.

I can look most people in the eyes, except for people with really bright colored eyes, but it still feels weird to me.

Does anyone feel like they do make eye contact with people, the people are sorta trying to read your mind, and they are sorta like aliens?

Also, does this inhibit anyone else in making friends?

Thanks! =)

caseycastille
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2010, 11:03 pm

I've long (as long as I can remember) felt exactly the way you describe about making eye contact with others when they are speaking. In fact, at an early age, I read somewhere that it was of crucial importance to make and maintain eye contact with a speaker, and since then, I've been obsessed with it, often feeling that I hold someone's gaze too long, and that they can read my mind, or they think I'm reading theirs!

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 12:08 am

Eyes were slimy, creepy, mind-reading, soul-eating things that I couldn't stand to look at. That said, over the course of a few months, they didn't bother me as much. I now make an appropriate amount of eye-contact.

One of the reasons I felt that eye-contact was inappropriate was aggression. Essentially, I was afraid of making a social mistake. But we all do that regardless, so give it a chance and maybe you can acclimate.

But they do not have me

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 12:32 am

I've been practicing making eye contact, and I've become pretty good at it. I don't feel like people are trying to read my mind, though. I've heard that eyes are the windows to the soul and such, but I don't get it. All I see are eyeballs.

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Oct 2010, 1:34 am

Meh.

I've been able to make decent eye contact for years now. But I still can't relate to that person that well; it's just eye contact to me.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 4:49 am

If I make myself look people in the eye that's all I can think about. It's never unconscious or natural. There's a theory that it's because of the amygdala, an overactive fight or flight response I think.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 1:49 am

i have bin told that i am doing much better than at the start of the year (b4 then i almost never looked some one in the eye), what i have bin doing is, when i am looking some one in the eye and i feel like i should look away, i look at there nose (or lips if they are talking) it seams to help and the other person dose not seam to notice :cyclops:

Salvatore
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2010, 2:14 am

I usually look at them in the eye for couple seconds then I would look around...People think I get bored easily. I found making too many eye contacts is just not necessary.

Your Aspie score: 165 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Checkmate
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2010, 8:16 pm

I stare intently at them wide-eyed, analysing every move they make. If they piss me off. Eye contact is your best weapon.