Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

ParadoxalParadigm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2010, 12:55 am

I enjoyed reading that as well.

Especially the part :

"Those who insist on saying ‘have a nice day' and other polite exchanges of fairly empty niceties are taught to be honest and say what they think."

And, "We are expected to say hi, nice to meet you, shake hands and even receive hugs and kisses because NTs (neurotypicals) think that is appropriate."

I hate coming home and saying hello. I hate when my father says to me, "Say hi!" I hate saying goodbye when I leave the house. I think these things are empty and valueless. Until maybe a year ago, I almost completely refused to do so, but hearing my parents rant about how American children have no respect just got on my nerves. So, I do these things as a formality. When I see someone, I will say "Hi, how are you?" and keep walking, hoping of all hopes that they won't answer, because I just don't care...

GreatRelief
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Dec 2010, 7:08 pm

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:
[size=12]I hate coming home and saying hello. I hate when my father says to me, "Say hi!" I hate saying goodbye when I leave the house. I think these things are empty and valueless. Until maybe a year ago, I almost completely refused to do so, but hearing my parents rant about how American children have no respect just got on my nerves.

What's ironic is there are lots of American children and teens who never say hello or goodby, but are about as NT as they get. They're more just being standoffish. I am usually able to discern when someone is being distant due to AS or similar circumstances, verses somebody who's just being snotty. Maybe from your father's point of view, he is not able to discern this, so he may interpret your preference not to say "hi" or "goodby" as standoffishness. Maybe being an aspie myself, it is easier to discern.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 5:43 pm

well, instead of by winning a popularity contest, governance would be in charge of those who make the highest score on a special quiz; & neither advertizing nor political parties would exist, or need to.

religions might still have a place, but they would not claim to have exclusive truth (an obvious falsehood), & in order to gain adherents they might compete to see which one has the most baroque & creative mythology.

since war is based upon a propensity to view the world in terms of team sports, i don't see that being a possibility. on the other hand, perhaps the leading cause of death might be accidents.

reasoning." --William Blake

boots1123
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2010, 10:09 pm

If Asperger's were the norm:

there would be no group therapy.

no one would be written up at work for spending too much time discussing football scores or talking at the water cooler.

there would not be recognized "office politics."

AHAA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2010, 1:29 pm

If AS was the norm...

We would get revenge for the people who picked on us by segregating and discriminating them because we weren't normal :lol:. I personally might not though.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2010, 12:36 am

graywyvern wrote:
religions might still have a place, but they would not claim to have exclusive truth (an obvious falsehood), & in order to gain adherents they might compete to see which one has the most baroque & creative mythology.

I fail to see how this has any relevance. The tenets of the faiths I know of already fit pretty well with all manner of human beings, except for, naturally, the clinically deranged.