Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2011, 5:41 am

Doesn't anyone else hate how all the advice especially online for social skills is aimed almost entirely at getting people to like you(and perfectly for that matter) which if followed would turn me into a pushover.

I want respect first, being liked second.

I want people not to walk all over me.

I want my opinion to be valued.

I want to be in charge of my life and my decisions and for people to get a clue and but out when their advice on how I should live my life is not welcome.

Hanging out and doing things with people is important to me too but I must be able to stand up for myself and to do the fun things I like to do. Some of these websites advise not to say anything if it's even possible to offend people. Screw that. Sometimes it's OK to risk offending people. In fact sometimes people deserve it. Sometimes its even for their own good.

I don't want to fill in the "nice guy" role. Why is all "social skills" advice oriented specifically for that? It's like NTs don't want us to stand up for ourselves.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 8:43 am

The women that I worked at the factory with were into things that I weren't. They tried to push me around into making a fool of myself. They got angry if I stood up for myself. They expected me to be a nice little feminine lady, just because they were what they called themselves ladies. Sorry. Bragging about sex and picking on special needs people is not ladylike. Hello!

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 9:28 am

I totally agree with you!
A lot of social advice out there is pretty demeaning. It is assumed that in order to be liked, you should be a complete pushover avoid anything remotely offensive.

Here is my advice:
I also respect myself and the other person.
Both of our opinions are valuable.
Don't ask me a question if you don't want to know the answer.
I really don't care if you are offended by me.
If I offended you, then I'll say I am sorry, and we will continue because I can be rude sometimes.

If you don't like any of the above, then leave me alone.

How is that for some great social advice! :)

Last edited by jackbus01 on 22 Feb 2011, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 9:52 am

The only social advice that works is to be yourself at all times and let the chips fall where they may. Trying to please a bunch of judgmental hypocrites by catering to their idea of hip and cool is a road to ruin.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 10:50 am

hating is a waste of time

Nicholas1000x
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2011, 12:12 pm

DGuru wrote:
I don't want to fill in the "nice guy" role. Why is all "social skills" advice oriented specifically for that? It's like NTs don't want us to stand up for ourselves.

because everybody should be nice to each other first before anything else

respect is to be earned so i think its right to be nice first

for the other things i just talk to someone about it does that make me a pushover maybe i am :)

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2011, 4:29 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
hating is a waste of time

Funny

BadBones
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Apr 2011, 2:03 pm

Mindslave wrote:
The only social advice that works is to be yourself at all times and let the chips fall where they may. Trying to please a bunch of judgmental hypocrites by catering to their idea of hip and cool is a road to ruin.

Couldn't have said it any better!