Friend blocked me from his Facebook wall

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2011, 2:06 pm

I had an experience today that really upset me. A person (whom was one of my best friends growing up) blocked me from viewing his Facebook wall. I was really hurt by this, due to the fact that I have been trying to rekindle an acquaitanceship with him.

He is a public employee in Wisconsin, and has been posting a number of things about the situation with the governor and the unions up there. I have taken an interest in this matter, due to my interest in politics, my political leanings, and the fact that I support him this matter. I have posted intellectual replies to his postings (nothing inappropriate, off-topic, or off color). It has also promoted intellectual conversations amongst his other friends. This came as a surprise to me, due to the fact that there was never any "warning shot' or anything to tell me to knock it off. Also, based on his actions, things were going a little better in the friendship.

Even thought my friend and I were close many years ago, we have had a falling out for many years. This has been due to personal issues on his end, and due to my AS, issues with proximity in relationships. We found one another on Facebook, and over the last year, have kind of reconnected with one another. There has been a small amount of trepedation toward one another due to our history and the above mentioned issues. This did come as a surprise toward me though. It bothers me that people just cut me off when it comes to an "issue" that they have with me, and don't take the step for healthy dialogue about it.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 2:17 pm

That was rude of him. But I wouldn't waste any more time on him. Who needs friends like that?

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2011, 2:32 pm

I am sometimes wondering if it was the frequency that which I was replying to his Facebook. We had corresponded with a few messages within in the last year, but it the last couple of weeks, the contact has became more frequent. I also went to Madison to participate in the protests. I contacted him via Facebook to tell him that I was coming up. He didn't reply until after I had left, but the message was a "sorry I missed you" message and was congenial.

This was a turn off to him in the past. While he enjoyed the occasional meet up, or "how things are going" letter, when I started contacting him more frequently, it has caused major problems, and he has gotten terse with me or cut me off. Also, if he didn't like certain people posting on his Facebook, why did he post the message in the first place?

Yes, Lene, I am thinking about forgetting about him for the time being. I am hoping that this wasn't something directed at me, and if it was, time can heal this.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 3:15 pm

You can ask one of your friends on your Facebook to send him a message asking him why he blocked you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 3:29 pm

Don't waste any more time on him. Keep your head up and be your best self. :)

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 3:54 pm

I agree that you shouldn't waste any more of your time on him for your own peace of mind.

However, he may have blocked you due to the fact that his own postings may have been jeopardizing his own job. I don't know if his comments were deemed inappropriate by the people he works for, but if so, he may have been told to cease and desist or risk termination.

Of course, if this is the case, he should have just told you and said "I can't post this stuff anymore or I'm going to get fired--I need to ask you to not write stuff about it on my wall anymore either." That's all. Perfectly reasonable.

The fact that he couldn't give you any kind of explanation shows a lack of maturity on his part, IMO.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 4:12 pm

Don't waste your time on them.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 4:33 pm

Friends that only want to be friends at arms length are no friend at all.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2011, 10:22 am

draelynn wrote:
Friends that only want to be friends at arms length are no friend at all.

I never looked at this person as "keeping me at arms length" until you mentioned it. There is an elephant in the room regarding our past experiences in our friendship and how to deal with them. For some reason we have just kind of danced around the elephant. I knew that we were going to bump in to it at some point, maybe this is that point.

I also agree with the comment about his job telling him to cease Facebook and other forms of public correspondence regarding the union situation. A co-worker whom I am friends with also told me that this might be the case.

He was on Facebook the night before wondering how to get a small group of friends together at once, in a chat room. I wrote on his Facebook wall on how to set up a private group in which people are invited. I thought that he would go off and do this, not block his whole wall for everyone to see. I also need to ask my parents if he blocked them from viewing his wall, since he is also friends with them.

I know the end result is probably going our seperate ways (like it always has been in these situations). I hold out hope due to the fact that we share a common history from our childhoods that was life changing (my family helped him out of a bad home situation, he helped me with some of the my issues with AS) that things can work out. Even though there is a bond with this history, we also have great uneasiness and misunderstanding of one another. I am going to leave him alone for a while and see how things go. I also see his aunt on a regular basis, I may slip a thing or two in the next time I see her and see what her response is. I want things to work out, but am also congnizant that we may go our seperate ways again.

Revival
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2011, 11:07 am

I have never seen the ability to block somone from posting on a wall in facebook before.
I have seen the ability to block EVERYONE from STARTING a post on the wall. (I did that)
Can you still post on wall topics that he has created?

Check his page again, has anyone else started a topic since you couldn't?

I blocked people, so that if I was gone for a long period of time, new discussions couldnt be made in my absence. If I choose to start a topic, people can respond as normal though.

I know i'm probably wrong, but thought it best to say it anyway.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2011, 2:28 pm

Revival wrote:
I have never seen the ability to block somone from posting on a wall in facebook before.
I have seen the ability to block EVERYONE from STARTING a post on the wall. (I did that)
Can you still post on wall topics that he has created?

Check his page again, has anyone else started a topic since you couldn't?

I blocked people, so that if I was gone for a long period of time, new discussions couldnt be made in my absence. If I choose to start a topic, people can respond as normal though.

I know i'm probably wrong, but thought it best to say it anyway.

When I go to his Facebook, I get a "there are no more posts to show" message. I find this weird due to the fact that I just posted to a question that he had the other day. Other historical posts are also not shown. I have been on Facebook for a few years and have never run into a situation like this. Either he has adjusted his privacy settings, he has deleted his posts, or he has blocked me from certain aspects of his Facebook. I am also going to check through my mom and dad's account, since they are also friends with him.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 5:06 pm

It's very possible that he deleted his posts if they were going to get him into trouble at his job.

Please let us know what you find out through your parents' accounts.

so that the people say,

dc1
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2011, 9:02 pm

It's definitely possible to block just one person on facebook. It happened to me once, so I sympathize, passionatebach. However, if the friendship actually matters to you (for whatever reason), then I would simply ask him why. There's always a chance that it isn't about you, or (like others have suggested) it was a universal wall block.

"It is a dreadful feeling to come back... and find not a kindred soul, no one who cares whether one is dead or alive." -- Emma Goldman

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 10:16 pm

passionatebach wrote:
I had an experience today that really upset me. A person (whom was one of my best friends growing up) blocked me from viewing his Facebook wall. I was really hurt by this, due to the fact that I have been trying to rekindle an acquaitanceship with him.

He is a public employee in Wisconsin, and has been posting a number of things about the situation with the governor and the unions up there. I have taken an interest in this matter, due to my interest in politics, my political leanings, and the fact that I support him this matter. I have posted intellectual replies to his postings (nothing inappropriate, off-topic, or off color). It has also promoted intellectual conversations amongst his other friends. This came as a surprise to me, due to the fact that there was never any "warning shot' or anything to tell me to knock it off. Also, based on his actions, things were going a little better in the friendship.

Even thought my friend and I were close many years ago, we have had a falling out for many years. This has been due to personal issues on his end, and due to my AS, issues with proximity in relationships. We found one another on Facebook, and over the last year, have kind of reconnected with one another. There has been a small amount of trepedation toward one another due to our history and the above mentioned issues. This did come as a surprise toward me though. It bothers me that people just cut me off when it comes to an "issue" that they have with me, and don't take the step for healthy dialogue about it.

To hell with him. Sounds like you've already invested enough to fix the relationship. You've done your part.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2011, 1:04 am

conundrum wrote:
It's very possible that he deleted his posts if they were going to get him into trouble at his job.

Please let us know what you find out through your parents' accounts.

I talked to both my mother and my sister (whom are both friends) and they had the same message that there "there are no more posts to show" as well. Maybe this is not directed at me, but much rather a universal move that was made on his part. I think that the wall part has been deactivated, due to the fact that I can still see his pictures.

He was having some conversations on there the night before this happened about how he could chat with a few friends simualtaniously. I don't know what this was about.
I certainally hope that he did not deactivate his Facebook, due to the fact that I have no other (appropriate) way to converse with him.

Thanks for all of your replies to this.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:22 pm

passionatebach wrote:
I talked to both my mother and my sister (whom are both friends) and they had the same message that there "there are no more posts to show" as well. Maybe this is not directed at me, but much rather a universal move that was made on his part.

That's what it looks like now.

passionatebach wrote:
Thanks for all of your replies to this.

You're welcome. :)

so that the people say,