Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

WFurman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2011, 1:14 pm

Coincidentally, I deactivated my Facebook account earlier today and was ready to post with the topic of whether or not there can be co-existence between Aspies and Facebook. This based on how I have felt with the experiences (mostly negative) I have had with NT's on the website (Ironically, the fact that Facebook founder Mark Zuckenburg has Asperger's is well-documented).

I had posted in a similar topic a few months back on how my "friend" on Facebook seems to like and comment on other people's status messages, including her own, while simultaneously ignoring me. I am glad that I am not alone here and that other Aspies have had difficulty being on Facebook.

I have never thought of Facebook as a competition (although I have posted status messages when I have hit a milestone in the number of friends I have (in the spirit of Guitar Hero)). However, I do believe that people have different reasons for wanting to add you as a friend. One example from my own experience was to set up groups of people who I could invite to events and stuff.

I feel better that I am no longer on Facebook. I will miss everyone I was friends with, but I am glad that I can live my life as an Aspie.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

paolo wrote:
Are you all right Starr?
Paolo

Hi Paolo! I'm OK-ish :wink: had a back injury last year which is why I disappeared for a while. How are you? It's good to see you here.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

28 Jun 2011, 12:55 pm

paddy26 wrote:
Most of my updates don't get any responses either. I'm surprised more people haven't deleted me.

Ditto.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2011, 2:15 pm

What I am noticing is that correspondence seems to get lost in the trash heap that we call "The Wall". Many people see so many peoples' postings (many are about mundane things such as likes, photo updates and whos friending who) that they skim over everything. Unfortunately, the baby gets thrown out with the bathwater. The few posts with substance are missed.

I sadly had this happen last week, when I sent a friend birthday greetings. I also told him that I would like to talk to him on the phone sometime. I am thinking that he just didn't see the message.

I am also noticing that people are using Facebook less to actually disclose what is going on in their actual lives. I am not sure where people are turning, but it seems that more people are using blogs and Twitter to talk about their lives and get their point across.

Also, certain mobile applications of Facebook will not allow people to see private messages on their phone, so the the private messages get lost.

Lastly, and I know that this is a tough one for people with AS, but when you get out and live life, you seem to attract more posts to Facebook. I am surprised the number of posts that I have got that said " it was nice to visit with you today", "here is the answer to the question that you asked", "it was nice to see you", etc. Sometimes living a full life will cause you to be noticed more on Facebook as well.

paperoceans
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2011, 12:47 am

I had the same problem... Posting my deep thoughts and stuff. No replies or likes. Now when I post stupid stuff and inane ranting, I get a shit-ton of replies and likes. It's like people like reading endless blabbering about nothing. The only good thing that I can say about myself, is that people think that I'm funny. Usually when I'm not trying to be funny. Everyone always thinks I'm trying to be a clown when I'm just trying to communicate to them my frustrations and such. I figured I might as well just keep acting that way. At least I get some type of attention even if it's just a bunch of "lol!" or a pat on the back.

So unintentional! :oops:

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm

If you are ignored on Facebook, that probably means you aren't as pretentious as everyone else is. That's a good thing. Do you want to be full of s**t? Superficial people comment on superficial things.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2011, 11:54 pm

i know what you mean, i never get invited to stuff or parties, etc.
and whenever i ask who wants to do something i get no answers. and i feel like a idiot. i have no friends because of it. i dont have any because people don't want to get together.

Opeth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2011, 4:07 pm

I deactivated mine earlier this month, people just act way too superficial on it. The only time I use it now is to go on my band's page.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 5:50 pm

I just ignore fb. I got a lot of happy birthdays on my birthday, that was nice. I thanked them. But apart from that if I put a status noone seems interested in it. So I never do statuses as it is pointless. I occasionally turn up, like a whole bunch of peoples statuses, and then disappear again. That is my contribution to the almighty Facebook.

Taking a break.

Ghonasiflaids
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Sep 2011, 7:23 pm

I get outright ignored irl, so I don't even bother with facebook.

Crow_T_Robot
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2011, 7:49 pm

I deactivated my Facebook account a while back. I realized that I never posted anything about my personal life, just links to Youtube videos and random photos from my Flickr account. People rarely commented on my status, and when I left, only two people even noticed.

Honestly the main thing that made me leave is the fact that I didn't care about anything that anyone else posted, and was mostly just annoyed by it. It was all baby pictures and things along the lines of "I have the most wonderful girlfriend in the world; she took me out to my favorite restaurant!" or "My little snuggle bug used the potty ALL BY HIMSELF today. I am sooooo proud!" Most of these people either ridiculed or ignored me in school, so I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care about their personal lives.

Dent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2011, 12:55 am

On my birthday, NO ONE posted on my wall. Everyone else gets a ton of "Happy birthday!" wishes from everyone, even people they don't talk to. That was depressing.

I have a few people who haunt my wall, and one official stalker. And one complete stranger who liked my comment on a chapstick fan page, and now occasionally gets way too enthusiastic about what I have to say. I've deleted everyone who posted only song lyrics or fortune cookie wisdom, if only because even bigger jerks than them encouraged that sort of thing.