What happens if someone messes about/up your interest?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Noob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2011, 9:05 am

What if they try to stop it or screw it up or anything like that? Has anyone done that to you before?

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 12:24 pm

How do you mean?

DCxMagus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2011, 12:33 pm

if they happen to give bad automotive care advice while I'm around(happens quite often when people who have no idea about cars try and give advice) I'll usually correct them in a friendly/non threatening way. If they continue and insist they are right, when they clearly aren't is when I start rattling off the flaws in their "advice" on a physics/common sense level until it is made painfully obviously they are wrong.

If someone is trying to fix/install someone on a car and doesn't seem to be getting it or doing it correctly and I have time I'll usually come over and help them out, if they ask for an explanation or seem like a person that wants to understand why I'm doing what I'm doing the way I'm doing it, I'll explain just that.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 12:52 pm

I destroy them with the laser missile launcher I built.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 1:39 pm

After years of being treated poorly for being smart, I tend to keep my opinions to safer environments like the internet where bullying and degradation is virtual and can be ignored. I don't want to seem like a know-it-all or feel heartbroken that people are ignoring me when I know something. So I keep my peace unless I'm asked directly. My husband and daughter do PR for me, in a way. They're the ones who tell people that I know "everything" about a certain subject or have talent at something. Even with my oldest son, it took my husband to very matter-of-factly say, "Why are you arguing with your mother about this? Don't you know she knows American History better than your teacher?" before he realized I know something about something from time to time.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2011, 3:28 pm

I once arranged for an important meeting about my work. It was going to be at my living place. I told my room mate this meeting was going to take place and he asked if he could sit in on it and participate. I said yes, at first, purely out of politeness, then within the day changed my mind about it and said that I would rather him not, that It would change the atmosphere and make it difficult for me to concentrate. An argument then insued. He grew angry with me, saying stuff like that he was being left out, that it was his house too and that I couldn't arrange something without him approving, that I was selfish, etc. etc. It was ridiculous. He was kind of a legitimate nutcase.
Long story short, the meeting was canceled and unable to be rescheduled (person who I was meeting with was difficult to schedule with, then I moved pretty far away).

I am generally overly patient with people. I don't show almost any of what I am really feeling or thinking inside. But this is was such a huge, deliberate blow to my work by someone I considered a friend that it completely shattered my relationship with him and feeling of comfort in that geographic region. I moved out as soon as I could and have not really spoken to him since. The memory of it sends chills through me and a weird squirmy energy through my head.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 4:07 pm

Ugly things happen if someone messes up with my special interest :twisted:

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:24 pm

Keep an even tone in your voice and show no mercy. My brother has to do this all the time because new people come into his department and try to sway people with pure bs which can only slow things or bottleneck progress. We have our discussions but when it is clearly his area I am content to listen. If the person values logic, they will be appreciative, if not you tried your best.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 9:36 pm

I never do anything. I've tried solving the problems of ignorance before, and failed. There is no solution.